1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Is this really what you're crying about?

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I have no idea what it must be like for you to have grown up, and to live in the environment that you describe. And, I respect that you probably have some feelings about it.

I haven't seen the Linsanity movie, nor have I read everything that Lin has been quoted saying, but my sense is that he's not one to play the victim card.

I challenged you when you said "Who in the modern day NBA or basketball in general has dealt with more racism than him? I'm waiting."

No one here is downplaying Lin's experience as a visible minority. Even you can see that opportunities in life, basketball, etc., vis a vis race is a much bigger conversation than Jeremy Lin's experience in the "modern day NBA". By your narrow definition of how to frame the discussion about Lin, I believe it is you who has victimized Lin.

3. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I haven't seen the linsanity movie yet. Also I believe they had a fortune cookie thing with Lin too.

4. rm365

No meltdown. Had some time to kill.

5. rm365

What are you talking about? In this thread a few pages back people questioned if Lin even had racism thrown his way. I produced the evidence. No one is crying.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Those links where Jeremy himself cried about racism?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TTZwCgeN7k0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barkley "I like Yao Ming"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yS439NAWBsU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. rm365

OK. It sounds like you agree with me and disagree with the majority of posters here. Lin doesn't play the victim. Thank you.
    I wished you could see also that I am not victimizing him either. I just like to call things like it is without any bs.

If something is racist, it's racist.
    If someone on this forum is gonna say Lin never faced racism, I'll show that he has. If someone then tells me that what I showed doesn't count as racism, I'll explain how in real life, reasonable people disagree with them. That is how all that got brought up. I didn't bring it up out of the blue.

Look at the whole Donald Sterling thing that went down. Why is racism against certain groups ok but others not?

I have a young child at home. I don't want him to grow up in an environment where people are free to tease him for the shape of his eyes, his skin color, etc. And yet it's not considered real racism. Is that too much to ask?

And again, I don't worship Lin nor do I think he is a great player or follow him on Twitter.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's on Netflix.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Bald Bull did that commercial for money, he likes Yao for money.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Racism, perceived or real, never kept Yao from succeeding and making his way into Rockets and NBA history.

12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

there was never any racism accusations with yao. lol

13. mig0s

mig0s Member

typical LOH's
    Lin playing well and no one says a word. But I gotta admit it doesn't happen often lol

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

About time Lin is playing how hes suppose to

15. Cloudx9

Cloudx9 Member

This is the 100th time I'm gonna say this in the last 2 1/2 years. This is gonna be the turning point for Lin lol!!!

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Because like a real man Yao just ignored it and kept moving forward. If u think about it though if racism is real then Yao Ming would have experienced way more than Lin, he isn't a cal kid, he didn't grow up in the US, he wasn't a christian and he didn't play for NYC so there was no hype.

With Lin though I think he confuses general hate with racism, it's understandable since he is humble and he doesn't have beef with anybody so maybe he doesnt know why people hate him but he doesn't realize a lot of people find his fans to be annoying. You develop a dislike for someone when he gets a lot of hype and adulation when he doesn't deserve it, and in Lin's case he got a lot of fame because of Linsanity and NY media, but when his play sucked he still retained his popularity because he was Asian and/or Christian. On the other hand someone like Conley Jr has played way better than Lin and he has less than 10% of Lin's fan base lol. A lot of people don't like that undue hype and take it out on him so maybe he sees that as racism.

1 person likes this.
  17. mig0s

mig0s Member

18. zyt

zyt Member

yao grew up in China as an athlete, that alone can be quite cruel, the pressure of possible racism is in no way or shape comparable to the love and hate from >1billion people, also a cultural thing chinese ppl r better hiding emotions

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Looks like Lin played well tonight? Didn't watch the game, but his box score looks great.

20. mig0s

mig0s Member

Emo/mental midget played ok