1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't understand how some of you compare Yao and Lin's media portrayals when they have totally different personalities, come from varying ethnic backgrounds, and play/played in different media ages.

Stupid

2. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I don't care what your definition of "modern day" happens to be, but you might want to consider what Bill Russell went through and how profoundly it affected him. Seriously.

3. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Part of being your own man is the ability to use logic and back up what comes out of your mouth or keyboard with facts so it's not just gibberish.

Also I don't have any jlin bookmarks nor am I living thru anyone else. My life is pretty decent, you would be surprised.

4. rm365

Exactly. You don't care. Nothing else needs to be said.
    You are content to trivialize by comparing to previous eras.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

god doesn't do anything. if people need some delusion to motivate them then good luck to them. But know, it is a delusion.

#2theD&D

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Breaking news:

Lin still sucks

7. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I can see how you might feel that way, but my point is relevant. Lin is not a victim.

8. King1

-Rich parents
    -Great upbringing
    -Harvard education
    -NBA player

It's a shame he's had to overcome so much.

What a joke

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

stop making excuses, Jeremy is just a good player and that is it, he will never be a star

10. King1

Nor a good player for that matter.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Slumdog millionaire

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao ming faced racism and he had to learn English and he had to be a great nba player.

He overcame much more. He represented a whole continent of Asia not just the richest suburbs of silicon valley.

And he won the hearts of all houston. Not just a specific sect .

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People underestimate how much racism Yao got.
    Yao takes criticism well, he is a humble docile giant. :)

Lin acts just like any 20-something year old would act like in the States. He's more American than anything. Don't know why so many people want to live vicariously through him, but that is their choice.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

They should definitely root for a different Asian American like Glen from walking dead.
    He faces death every episode and he's the last Asian in Georgia during the zombie apocalypse.

1 person likes this.
  15. rm365

Well Yao probably didn't understand most of the racism he got until years later into the league given his limited English. Even after when he did, it is different for a foreigner and ambassador of sorts from a different country. Yao was probably just like ok whatever, these foreigners are weird.

Also I disagree that Yao experienced more racism. I can only think of the Shaq ching chong comments as the one instance in the mainstream media Yao got hit with it.

Lin having grown up here was probably more like not this **** again. It's different if you grow up with it. Me having grown up for a good chunk of my childhood in a rough part of nyc where racial slurs were abundant and family members were beaten and mugged, I can relate.

Also show me where Lin has ever played the victim card. You guys hating on him as a player is fine but character assasination and downplaying racism he has faced in his life and in his nba career is not cool. I know a lot of non Asians who thought the Whitlock comments were definitely racist and way out of line.

Not on clutchfans.net though. They will probably bring up what Jack Johnson faced when he became a pro boxer 100 years ago, what Bill Russell had to deal with, the part of the bus Rosa Parks was told to sit in, etc.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao ming faced lots of racism. They had fortune cookie night once at game.

Go watch the jeremy lin documentary. There's the racism card. Not saying it's not true. It is. I'm just disproving you that card wasn't used. It was.

You can bring all the examples you want about other people, Lin grew up in palo alto where it's $3000 for a one bedroom apartment. And he got into Harvard. If he didn't make it in the nba, he'll be a successful citizen.

yao ming's journey was much harder. He had to overcome much more and it easier for him cause he never let it bother him.

I'll yao ming over 1 billion jeremy lins as a basketball player and someone who would hang out at the club with me and ron artest.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You forgot the extremely generous contract for a mediocre bench player.

I thought it was extremely racist of the Rockets to offer him that.

They should have used better judgement.

Yao Ming was genuine.

Jeremy Lin is a manufactured hype product.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lin is a whiny cry baby constantly playing victim through his interviews with the media and his tweets. The guy clearly has an agenda behind everything he puts out. There are several other professional sportsmen who have had to deal with as much adversity as Lin and even more and yet you don't see them playing victim.

FFS, Lin should be grateful that he had a proper upbringing in a wealthy neighborhood and a good education.

Enough. Now let him focus on is low BBall IQ, poor handles, mental weakness etc. instead of finding excuses for that or pointing fingers at some members of Houston media who weren't fans of him.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

You think Lin can keep up with Kemba?

20. King1

Lol at this meltdown.