1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPNDALLAS: Rockets don't miss Parsons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Captain Hook, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Good read for those interested.

Rockets don't miss Chandler Parsons, who's earning Mavs' money

DALLAS -- He might not be the most popular man in Houston these days, but Chandler Parsons says he's happy to see his former team enjoying early-season success.

The undefeated Houston Rockets are the NBA's first team to five wins, roaring out of the gates by routing all of their opponents.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4703568/rockets-dont-miss-parsons-whos-earning-mavs-money?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez
    Chandler Parsons is pulling for his former Rockets teammates, but he has little interest discussing the guy who replaced him, Trevor Ariza (left).
    While Parsons' focus is firmly on helping the Dallas Mavericks win games, he acknowledges keeping close tabs on the Rockets.

"I'm still a fan of those guys," Parsons said. "Obviously, I want us to do better. When we play them, I want to beat them. But those are still my friends, and I'm still pulling for coach [Kevin] McHale. I definitely still keep an eye on what they're doing."

Parsons had some tense public exchanges with prominent Rockets figures after his departure to Dallas. All has been forgiven now, but he took offense to comments from Houston general manager Daryl Morey and superstar James Harden that essentially classified Parsons as a role player who wasn't worth the three-year, $46 million deal he received in restricted free agency.

Perhaps that explains why Parsons has little interest in discussing Trevor Ariza, his much more cap-friendly replacement on the Rockets who has been phenomenal in five games. Ariza is averaging 17.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 3.2 assists and leads the NBA with 21 made 3-pointers, knocking down 60 percent of his long-range attempts.

"I don't pay any attention to him," Parsons said. "Listen, many people replace many people every year in this league. He's a good, proven player in this league. He's supposed to play good for them."

Parsons is supposed to blossom into a star with the Mavs. After stumbling in the season-opening loss to the San Antonio Spurs, Parsons has performed up to his paycheck.

Check out Parsons' production during the Mavs' three-game winning streak: 23.3 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, while shooting 56.8 percent from the floor and 50 percent from 3-point range.

"He's a great flow player for us, running pick-and-rolls, running in transition, quick pick-and-rolls, getting to the basket in transition," Dirk Nowitzki said.

The Mavs valued Parsons because they envisioned him as a versatile offensive weapon, and he's living up to that billing as he becomes more comfortable in his new surroundings and system.

"I'm just in a good rhythm right now," Parsons said. "I'm trying not to force anything and trying to stay within the offense, but I'm feeling good right now."

The Mavs are feeling really good about their biggest July decision.

So are the Rockets, but that doesn't bother Parsons.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Parsons' is offended that Parsons is happy with former team

1 person likes this.
  3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I like ESPN's title. It's the truth.

Ha! Parsons is offended that Ariza is doing great for us.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess we have to read these types of articles and analysis every few games or so...or whenever one of these guys has a big game and the other doesn't? This is going to get old after a while.

The only question I really have at this point is did Cuban and company seriously consider Ariza over Parsons...or was Cuban more interested in Parsons just to try to stick it to Morey and the Rockets do to the feuding between him and Morey? I'm leaning toward the latter. I think it was also an attempt at payback for the Howard signing and to try to make the Rockets an overall worse team. However, the Mavs clearly liked Parsons aside from all that and feel he is their next superstar player for years to come. So, how much all that bs I said factors in...who knows? But, if Ariza made his intentions known that he didn't want to be a Mav, then that could also be a factor.

It's scary to think the Mavs might possibly have had even more money to work with to build an even better team than they have now if they took the more defensive-minded Ariza and we took Parsons max contract. But, that also depends on other players' availability.

The comparison has to play out over the season. It's more realistic to do a mid-season and end-season comparison. Right now...the move seems to be working out for both teams and both teams are satisfied.

#4 Surfguy, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The notion of jabbing Morey HAD to be part of the reason Cuban bought Parsons. He figured to either mess up the Rockets plans or force them to overpay. Neither happened.

Getting Ariza for 4 years was the best result the Rockets could have achieved once Bosh re-signed with the Heat.

We should send Cuban a thank you card.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

you guys, chandsome still cares about the rockets and his old teammates. what a nice guy. he doesn't hate us. why should we hate him?

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

A major part of being a Rockets' fan is to be incredibly insecure.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As much as I think Ariza is a better fit for the Rockets, Parsons is flat out a better player with many more skills on the offensive end. With Dirk declining and Monta not really being known for his passing, the Mavs needed another perimeter playmaker. In hindsight, Parsons was an obivious choice for the Mavs who are just not a star destination and needed to look to that next tier for guys to headline their roster (while the Rockets and others were looking for big names).

The only shocker in the acquisition was the contract terms. And, considering the free agency signings and extensions we've seen this year the money isn't that crazy. The length and option are really toxic (to a team like the Rockets) but the Mavs are essentially all in until Dirk fades which wouldn't surprise anyone if it happened before Parsons' contract ended.

9. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I don't know if Parsons is a better player. He may be able to create his own shot, but Ariza beats him in all other areas such as defense, 3pt %, and maybe passing.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

:grin: He should be focusing on the Mavs.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Parsons is probably more offended by Pap...:p

12. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

60% for Ariza from deep!

13. Dr Dunkenstein

Parsons is in a system where he will get opportunites to score. I would say if he shoots 50% from 3 for the season then he will average 20 points per game. If he shoots 35% and his free throw shooting reverts back to his mean, then he will average in the 15-17 points per game range. Also, 2.7 assists is not many in their flowing offense. He should be around 5 per game.

Remember he is all about his offense and his playmaking. His defense is not good at all and 2.7 assist does not make him much of a playmaker.

It is early so he could go up or down or sideways from here. However, he is a Maverick and I wish nothing but failure for him and his team.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Now that is offensive!!!

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I love how Parsons has little interest in discussing Trevor Ariza now and plays it off like Ariza's play is nothing unexpected from someone he considers to be a good, proven player. Because you know, that's exactly how he acted this summer when Dwight and Harden DARED suggest that the Rockets would be OK with Ariza as his replacement...

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If either one of these players goes down with an injury where they miss large swaths of games in the season, then that would make a comparison incomplete obviously but...since the team will not get the benefits from that player of playing in games...it's still win or lose. So, my advice is for both to stay healthy. ;)

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

because hes not on the rockets and more importantly, plays for the Mavs.

why should we not hate him? hes gone out his way to take shots at houston so F this guy.

18. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Lol at CP saying he pays close attention to the Rockets ( I am sure he does, who wouldn't) but somehow isn't paying attention to Ariza. LMAO

19. Andrew Wiggins

Thats where i call bs too.

20. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Us? We? You are a Dallas fan who loves trolling Rockets fans. You arent fooling anyone.

1 person likes this.