1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official BoB coaching thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, if they had drafted him, the he might or would be playing qb now. But they didn't, so what's the point of re-hashing and retroactively b****ing about things that cannot possibly be changed? It gets old to read the same ****ing comments that have been posted constantly since even before training camp started. Move on.

And do understand I'm not singling you out, there's a handful of folks in here that need to find new thoughts to think and new posts to post, because we've all read the same dozen posts 10,045 times already.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is nothing new. If Clowney doesn't end up being the star of the draft, we're going to hear it from everyone. It doesn't help right now that we are getting 0 Production from the draft class.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]After rolling out our Midseason All-Rookie Team, let's size up this year's first-time head coaches and coordinators:

The coaches

1. Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns: Hired as the answer to an elongated coaching search that rendered the Browns a national laughingstock, Pettine deserves credit for sweeping away the losing culture in Cleveland that plagued all six of his predecessors dating back to 1999. After skillfully navigating the summertime media frenzy surrounding Hoyer vs. Manziel, the former Rex Ryan lieutenant has won over his young locker room with an aura of accountability. Some of Pettine's in-game decisions have raised questions, but wiping out the Steelers at home earned eternal points. He won't pay for a drink in Cleveland again if the Browns are alive by season's end.

2. Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings: The most experienced of the bunch, Zimmer was the ideal choice for a Vikings team thin on identity after the Leslie Frazier era. His work with Minnesota's defense -- especially its pass rush -- has our attention. Zimmer also earns props for weathering the Adrian Peterson storm to keep the Vikings competitive with a rookie quarterback and new faces on both sides of the ball. They're in a rugged division, but the Vikings have found a coach to hold onto deep into the future.

3. Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans: O'Brien propelled the Texans to a 3-1 start, but dropping four of five since has plenty to do with Houston's core weakness: The lack of a franchise quarterback. It's anyone's guess what the Texans expected to net from Ryan Fitzpatrick, but the results have been predictable. After nobody in the organization thought enough of using May's top draft pick on Blake Bortles or any of his fellow passers, O'Brien is under pressure to unearth his long-term signal-caller sooner than later.

4. Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins: Starting three quarterbacks over nine games, Gruden admitted Monday that the "jury is still out" at the position. This Washington gig always felt like a tall order because of the presence of Robert Griffin III. While the one-time wunderkind offers a rare and remarkable skill set, Gruden himself hinted in September that Kirk Cousins -- before playing himself out of the job -- was a better fit for Washington's West Coast-style attack. Something just feels off in Washington.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...watch-mike-pettine-bill-lazor-among-top-hires[/rQUOTEr]

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

BoB seems like a tough guy, which is good. He really seems to show it to the media. The question is... does he show it to the players. The same stupid mistakes. An injured 1-1 draft pick that is playing with social media during a game. Conflicting messages about players and injuries.

He is a rookie coach, so patience is called for here... but again, I am hoping he is being as much of a tough guy with his players and organization as he is with members of the press.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

His rep is fading. He gets one complete season, but after that he needs to be very careful not to become Kubiak v.2. If that happens it will get uglier quicker than before. He needs to start playing serious chess and move pieces into place. He is going to have take some risks. For example, he needs to give Mallet a run, sit Cushing, read Clowney the riot act, get AJ in focus, try some different combinations, get the tight ends more involved, etc.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Goodness gracious - you guys are the biggest bunch of impatient, entitled, mierably negative whiners I've ever had the displeasure to run across.

They're 4-5; not 0-9. Or 1-8. 2-7. 3-6... I realize 4-5 isn't going to win him any COY votes but he has a legitimate shot to finish .500 with virtually the same team that went 2-14 last year. That's a 6-game turnaround, which is terrific, especially when you consider they're playing with a substandard QB, an apathetic WR1, an OL that's either regressing or slow-to-catch-on, and a defense that's been without two of it's studs (Clowney and Cushing) and, oh, btw, they played most of Sunday's game with its two starting CBs out. They lost to the Cowboys, Colts and Steelers, who are a combined 18-9, by a 15 total points. They were down 3 to the 6-2 Eagles in the 4Q.

I honestly and sincerely don't know why some of you bother to follow the team. You obviously like to wallow in the bad and have absolutely zero appreciation for the good. I've been witness to it for 5-6 years now and, frankly - it's rather sad.

It's staggering that anyone who is truly watching each and every game would be *this* down. Disappointed, sure - as I said in another thread: they're just good enough to be disappointing. But there's a lot to be encouraged about, and, even better: there's almost zero reason to think the team won't be better next year, especially as BO'B cleans out the locker room and finds himself a competent QB.

My gosh...

Don't touch!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I find it equally as fascinating that some people can't see why fans would be so down on a franchise that has been so boring and unsuccessful for a huge majority of its 12 seasons. Especially considering all the "contributions" we're getting from having the first pick in nearly every round last draft.

8. Nook

Nook Member

First off, I had the team at 6-10 to 8-8, and that where they are probably headed. I don't think the issue is just wins and loses this season. It is more a complete lack of execution in pressure situations. The fact that Clowney and AJ seem to be able to do anything they want and there seems to be a black cloud hanging over their heads.

O'Brien deserves more than a single season. I would argue 2-3 years unless next year they completely fall apart. Still O'Brien has a lot to prove. Are you comfortable saying he is a good NFL head coach?

Last, Texans fans have a sense on entitlement? Have you watched them the last decade or so? They have been a bad franchise. When there was hope after long rebuilding it lasted about 18 months. Texans fans deserve better than the **** sandwich served up by McNair.

9. Summer Song Giver

You're wrong, this franchise has **** on our heads for over a decade now; and only when the division sucked has it been competitive, and even then whenever someone really challenged them they caved.

This team has exploited our thirst for NFL football for it's entire existence.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

While I appreciate both RM95 and Nook both hilariously injecting entitlement, impatience, whining and/or absolutely zero appreciation for the good into their responses, neither were quite the same force of nature as Summer Song Giver, who told me I was wrong before obliviously working entitlement, impatience, whining *and* absolutely zero appreciation for the good into the same post. Tremendous work, SSG. Just tremendous.
    Yes, I was wrong, indeed........ I left out drama queens.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Didn't take long for Hey Now to chug the battlefight kook-aid

12. Nook

Nook Member

Angling for that spot in Grampa Bob's sky box between Smith and Clay Walker?

13. Hey Now!

Yes, advocating for Ryan Mallet to start (after dismissing Ryan Fitzpatrick *before the season ever started*) and calling the team "disappointing" is chugging the battlefight kool-aid...

I'd invite you to dispute anything I said but, well, that would require critical, insightful thinking and you're among a large throng of fans who don't have the capacity and/or patience for it; not when you can be a knee-jerk and scream as loud as possible!

They're 4-5; if you thought they were going to be appreciably better, well... it goes back to that lack of critical, insightful thinking. Otherwise, they're either where you thought they'd be... or they're overachieving. Regardless, they're not worth *this* much vitriol. I mean, seriously - their QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick....

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

OK, bobby.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm comfortable saying he's a rookie NFL head coach and has the potential to be a good NFL head coach.

We were 2-14 last year. We are probably going to be 8-8 this year. On what planet is going from 2-14 to 8-8 in one season considered a failure?

I'm not trying to fart rainbows and unicorns here. I know we have problems. I think we should have taken Carr or Garrapolo with our 2nd pick. Or traded up for TB (assuming that was a realistic option). I think it was a mistake for McNair to say this wasn't a rebuilding year. Is most certainly is.

But there are certain posters here who have been going on for years about how much they HATE everyone and everything associated with this team and will pile on and quickly accuse you of being a homer if you don't agree with them. It gets really old and makes me think they are just trolling.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Well tell us how you really feel... Lol.

You can't expect people to have complete blind faith in McNair and Smith, and a head coach from the great Bill Belichick coaching tree like you do. Also McNair came out and said he expected a quick turnaround for this team. Can't be mad at fans for taking his word for that.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm fine with O'Brien to this point. He's really the least of my concerns.

The bigger issue, to me, is the guys he answers to...and the tone of the organization, generally. I do not have much faith in this organization to put it together.

18. Hey Now!

When did I even offer an opinion of McNair, Smith and/or O'Brien, let alone express some unwavering blind faith support of them? There is never any middle ground... it's all extreme. If you don't yelp and holler and wallow in LCD, then you're obviously at the other end of the spectrum, slurping kool-aid and chummin' it up with Bobby Mac. It's insane. Really and truly.

How would you classify a possible 6-game improvement, Remii? Assuming they get better next year, they'd be poised to win 9+ games, which puts them in playoff contention two years after going 2-14.......

19. Hey Now!

You sure you want to cast your lot with the guys jumping up and down about a possible 6-game improvement, RM95?

Again, what expectations are being trashed here? I certainly understand that fans don't look at a franchise in year-to-year chunks; they take it as a whole... but this team was 2-14 last year and hitched their wagon to Ryan Fitzpatrick. At 4-5, having been competitive in 89% of their games... I'd say that's pretty doggone encouraging. And it's MILES better than last year.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Personally I find it refreshing that someone else is calling out the whiners and the sad sacks for a change. Could the Texans have won more games this year? Sure, but they are still on pace for 8-8 and that's pretty good considering they were 2-14 last year.