1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports Houston :-)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

In before the obligatory "can I watch the rockets and astros now" posts. This is good news today.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When the judge says in open court that it was either confirm this plan or rule to liquidate, I really don't think there's any ground to support a stay pending an appeal. Comcast is better off with this reorg than they are with a liquidation.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

JR is Twitter

I think it is just working capital.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]No big surprise, but Comcast just filed official notice of appeal in the CSN Houston bankruptcy case.

Judge isgur will hold a hearing on assorted aspects of the case at 2 p.m. Friday.

Comcast says judge erred (1) in confirming Ch. 11 plan, (2) in not allowing 1111(b) designation for Comcast secured loan, (3) in holding that Comcast loan was treated fairly by plan under section 1129(b) of bankruptcy code, (4) in ruling that plan was accepted by a class of creditors that will not receive full repayment, (5) in saying plan did not discriminate against Comcast's claims, and (6) in saying that exculpation clauses in plan were lawful.[/rQUOTEr]

5. msn

msn Member

Hey Comcast:

Pucker up! (_|_)

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Agreed, because doesn't liquidation mean that the teams can take their broadcast rights back?

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why not just Liquidate and get rid of this whole thing.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Would you like to watch the Rockets this season or in 2016?

9. Major

Major Member

Are we sure about that? They are locked into something like paying a billion dollars in broadcast fees over the next 20 years under their current contract - something they could get out of with liquidation.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>While Comcast pursues CSNH appeal in district court, it has asked Judge Isgur for a stay pending appeal.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/528215856090603520">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Nero

Nero Member

I know this is probably just something I overlooked but - with Comcast getting their panties all in a bunch about getting 'their 100 million back', doesn't Comcast still owe the Rox and Astros MORE than 100 million in unpaid rights fees?

I don't get it.

Aren't they coming out ahead just by walking away from this, even WITH the furniture/equipment losses?

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So a stay would prevent the network from going live until the appeal is resolved, correct? If so, that would make this request THE deciding factor on wheter or not games wil be on TV within the next few weeks.

Isht just got real...

13. Major

Major Member

Comcast is locked into paying the overpriced broadcast fees for the next 15-20 years.

Assuming they have 1.5 million households x $3.50 / month x 20 years = $1.26 billion.

The loan and FFE and all that is all pocket change here for them. The goal, I would think, would be to get out of paying the rates they are contracted to.

On a side note, Comcast doesn't owe the Astros/Rockets any media rights fee - CSN-H theoretically would, but it has no money. So regardless if it liquidates or turns into Root Sports, Comcast is not getting their loan and the teams are not getting their backpay media rights fees.

14. Convictedstupid

What are the odds of the stay being approved and them preventing the launch of Root Sports Houston? And when will this decision be made?

15. MadMax

Good point..I hadn't thought of that aspect of it.

16. MadMax

I think we all assumed they'd ask for the stay. I just doubt they'll get it. We'll see.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Just go CSN.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Judge Isgur has denied the Comcast motion for stay pending appeal. This frees Comcast to seek a stay from Judge Lynn Hughes.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/528262892622467072">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. Convictedstupid

Wait she can approve it? When will we find out if she approves?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Attorneys say they have settled the Comcast services question, so the transition to new network will proceed while appeal proceeds.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/528274624908627968">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.