1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014-15] Jeremy Lin as a Los Angeles Laker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jul 11, 2014.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well it took all of one game for the LOF's to blame Scott for Lin's bad game...

Man I lost that bet said it would at least take 4 games...

DAB NAB IT!!!!

T_Man

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

First of all, Lin is not a scrub or some ****ty player. At the same time, he is not a good player either. He is a mediocre player over the course of a season, but tends to have a wider pendulum swing than most other PG's. Secondly, Lin does have the ability to create his own shot; quick first step and acceleration, step back midrange, and above average court vision. Unfortunately for Lin, is abilities to create are largely handicapped by his inability to control pace, poor handles, and very questionable basketball IQ. So many times, we seem him zoom past players only to slip and lose the ball or flat out lose his dribble. So many have touched on it; he only has one speed. When you play your entire game at one speed, players quickly adapt and follow you a lot easier. Take Harden for instance; he is capable of so many speeds of play to break down his opponents to create his own shot. Lin just bursts forward and sometimes steps back.

The other issue is Lin's personality. He just seems too passive on the court. In NY, MDA loved him. He drew multiple screens and picks for Lin because Lin was the only competent PG on that ****ty team. Without that sort of consideration, Lin needed to step up and take command, definitely when he was delegated the 6th man role. I wanted so desperately to see him take control of the young players and even Dwight and DEMAND for picks. Force players to take positions for screens as far out as the half court marker. That never happened though. Instead, his play got even more reckless and out of control. He started driving into traffic and coverage like a headless chicken in attempts to try and force the issue to make something happen, forcing him to jump with no plan with even greater frequency. You just can't play like that Lin, it's not your bloody strength.

Finally, there is the very touchy (for his fans) subject that Lin is just a pretty stupid basketball player. He makes some incredibly dumb moves that rookies just shouldn't make; inopportune fouls (like the one on Ariza), not watching feet placement when making needed 3pt shots, general lack of awareness of his surroundings and situations, ect. Lin has talent and he has potential, but my god does he make incredibly stupid decisions. Yes all players have brain farts from time to time, more so among scrubs. However, Lin just seems to make the biggest mistakes at the worst possible times it seems.

All in all, I am thankful for a lot of things that Lin did for us, especially things that were probably hard for him to accept. He did it in a classy professional manner. For that, I am grateful, though I definitely do not miss not having him on the Rockets. He's not a bad kid and I honestly wish Linsanity never, ever happened to him, that he would be able to have taken his time and slowly developed. That's neither here or there however. His path has been what it is. I will admit however, there were times I caught myself chuckling at a lot of his typical dumb mistakes, even more thankful that those no longer come at the Rockets' expense.

2 people like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I disagree that Lin isn't an NBA player. He'll have very good games and very bad games... last night was a bad game. He'll have good games.

But it was redemption for Houston fans last night, for all the ridiculous nonsense we put up with from Jeremy Lin fans the past two years that got ridiculous the past several months. I don't regret making that video in the slightest.

1 person likes this.
  4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Exactly this. For the last few years it has been everyone's fault but Jeremy's according to his fans. Now they'll either accept reality that he has limitations as a player, or they'll start blaming someone new. My money is on the latter.

5. PeppermintCandy

Some of those mistakes by Lin were egregious, but to be fair, unless you're Russell Westbrook or Chris Paul, a point guard is only as good as his teammates.

When the PG drives into the paint, other players have to have the awareness to move to spots where the PG can dish to them. On the highlight video at least, many of the Lakers players looked like they were stuck in molasses, and the defense was able to pack the paint or send double teams without repurcussion.

That's not to take away the blame from Lin's poor performance. But win or lose, b-ball is still a team game.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Motie with a SWEET post move right there.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wrong thread! :eek:

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks again for that video.
    You've been so kind to these fake Rockets fans and they still don't appreciate it.

You've got my vote for Nobel Peace prize.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Watching Lakers tonight. JLIn not having a good game. Frustration brewing from Lakers commentators.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Lin did his usual drive to the lane and stop thing which turned into a turnover. Suns suns commentators said coaches hate to see that.

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lin looks terrible so far...

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Man you guys are obsessed w/ LOFs the way LOFs are obsessed with Lin. Actually worse. Can't believe you'd spend free time just in hopes to see a guy fail. Think about that for a moment.

13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I'm actually wanting Lin to do well.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think he would have played better if it wasn't opening nigh vs the Rockets. Didn't see how he did vs Phoenix.

They're down 20ish...

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind, Phoenix is a playoff contender while Lakers look to be a contender for last place. That's a really ****ty team in LA right now.

16. NotChandlerParsons

So what's the Lin fan narrative on why he's playing so horrible? He's got the keys to the car, now what? I assume it's probably something about how Kobe is a ball hog or something along those lines, which is true, but there should still be plenty of isos left over for Lin.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

not bad, six points for Lin

18. Cypress

Cypress Member

Dear god....this is beyond a blowout.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Two games into the season, two horrendous games by Lin and Lin crazies are already saying its:

1) Scotts fault for not have any team plays

2) Kobe's fault for not passing the ball to Lin

3) Lakers team fault for being so bad.

I feel bad for the Lakers fans.

Who am I kidding?

No I dont.

YOLO

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Great summary.

I wish there will be more post like this in this thread.

Actually, there were more post like this earlier in this thread.

Of course until some people decided to take over this thread.