1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I cannot WAIT until the return of CLOWNEY, can you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 10, 2014.

?

I cannot wait. Can you?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2014.
  1. I cannot wait, either! He will wreak havoc and we will win!

58.3%
  2. He will have some impact, but we will still lose.

21.3%
  3. He will have NO impact.

4.6%
  4. Who's Clowney?

4.6%
  5. Hey! I ordered a cheeseburger!

11.1%
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That was more of a get your confidence back after the injury game. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more against Philly.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It was his first full game of the season, and he might still be feeling stiffness in the knee. I also think more than missing game time this season, the fact that he's missed 6 weeks of NFL practice has hurt his progression. He hasn't had a chance to even face NFL-level offensive linemen, as well as had time to work on something other than just a speed rush. Until he develops a few more moves, he's not going to have much of an impact over a long-term basis. Either way, I'm happy to see him back on the field.

3. Remii

Remii Member

So you're telling me going back to his last year of college and a half of season of NFL play _ he still only has 3 sacks :confused: This is what happens when a team lets the owner make a draft pick because of the hype that was generated by the media and fans because of a YouTube video and a fast 40 time. Hopefully he'll live up to the "Walk On Water" hype that was created for him... He still has plenty of time to prove himself. But if he doesn't live up to that hype... Yikes...!!!!

Through 8 games Sammy has 590 yards and 5 TD's (should be 6 if he wasn't foolishly showing out yesterday)... He was the best "PLAYER" going into the draft (wasn't even close) and he's proving that he's the best player now. And he's putting up those numbers with garbage quarterbacks and no other real weapons on offense (like CJ, AJ, and AJ Green had to work with) which means he gets the majority of attention from the defensive secondary.

In a passing league when you get an opportunity to draft a receiver like CJ, AJ, or AJ Green (who are true elite #1 receivers) _ you take him...

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I would hope it'd be double. Unless this is a Total Recall moment....then it should be triple.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What's the point of drafting a WR that high when you still have some good players there and with no QB to throw to them? That's like having a Lamborghini, but not knowing how to drive one.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Just because Sammy is showing to be the real deal on the field doesnt imply that the Texans wouldve taken him #1 overall. Besides, who the heck wouldve thrown him the ball??? And if Clowney has a great game next week, are you going to change your tune. Fact remains that the Texans made the best decision not investing a #1 pick on Blake Bortles or any of the other potential 1st round QB possibilities. This was his second regular season game man...get off his jock and give him some game reps...

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The one mistake I think the Texan's made in the off-season was not going after Kyle Orton instead of Ryan FItzpatrick. I know Fitz is a transition qb, you could probably have done the same for Kyle Orton who is having a great season so far

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Watkins was never an option. I thought be pretty much everyone knew he was a huge talent, but it would have made zero sense to draft him. And if the draft was redone, the Texans still wouldn't take him.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it was his first game back and he wasn't at 100%, and he was against the Titans' best O lineman. Even then, he drew a lot more attention than Merc or Reed do and that in itself is valuable. I don't think I've ever seen Merc or Reed get doubled, and it was happening to Clowney yesterday.

10. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Clowney will be alright. I'm curious to see how they will play him on Sunday against the Eagles. He needs to play well for us to win.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's easy to say now. How many people though Orton would be this good this season? Or even better than Fitz? There was a reason he didn't sign anywhere until August. I remember people wondering why we didn't go after Cassell. I remember people getting upset that we lost out on Josh McCown. I don't recall anybody b****ing that we didn't pick up Kyle Orton.

12. Remii

Remii Member

I think Sammy could have been more dominate than what Welker was for O'Brien playing in the slot until they ship off AJ. You're thinking about just this year and I'm thinking about the next 10 years. AJ is almost at the end of his rope as far as his career goes for the Texans.

Sammy, AJ, Nuk, and Mr Foster would have been the Lamborghini that Fitzpatrick could have picked up chicks in _ even with that beard... Adding Sammy to the mix and giving Fitzpatrick more options to throw to would have helped him... Just like he's helping Orton... There was simply no hope for EJ...

Well, are you going to draft the best player available _ or are you going to draft for need.... And considering we have McNair and Ricky Bobby running this organization _ I can understand why drafting Sammy makes no sense.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows the recipe for a championship team is to draft your #3 WR with the first overall pick in the draft....duh.

14. Remii

Remii Member

I believe Orton was contemplating retirement during that time... And he may have wanted more money as well, but I haven't checked to see how much Buffalo is paying him compared to some of the other quarterbacks that were out there.

15. rezdawg

Do you think the Colts, Packers, Saints or Seahawks would take Mariota with the first pick of next year's draft if they were picking at 1-1? Of course they wouldn't. You don't just take BPA...you look at need and try to find a balance. . Sometimes you take what you need and sometimes it makes more sense to take BPA.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The addition of Clowney is our main hope in making the playoffs. Watt and Foster have done their thing and we still haven't beaten a good team. We obviously have screwed ourselves with turnovers and other mental/coaching mistakes, but we've also gotten lucky with Fitz's close-INTs. Probability says we'll fumble less and Fitz will throw more picks, so the turnovers will still be there on whole. We need to play better and Clowney should help immensely. There's hope we can go 6-2 the 2nd half of the season.

17. Remii

Remii Member

It's very possible considering the Colts had Manning and drafted a quarterback with the #1 pick... And Green Bay had Brett and drafted Rodgers in the 1st.

How long do you think AJ is going to be here and do you think he's going to be worth his price tag next year...?
    Do you think Nuk is a legit #1 receiver...?

I hear a lot of fans saying the Texans defense has been playing good enough to win games and that's without Clowney... So Sammy would have made the offense that much stronger.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Pretty sure Orton was still a Cowboy when we signed Fitzy. We didn't know he'd be available, so it was out of the question once we already spent the dough on Fitz.

19. rezdawg

I know you are fully aware of the fact that Manning missed an entire year due to a major injury and his future was absolutely in jeopardy. Also, Rodgers was taken with the 24th pick in the draft, a position that makes it much more sensible to draft BPA. Like I said, sometimes you take need and sometimes you take BPA...it's a balance.

When you are the worst team in the NFL, you dont spend 1-1 on a position that is relatively of strength for a team that has incredible weaknesses.

AJ and Hopkins are much more solid than the majority of the team. It would have made more sense to use 1-1 on OLB, DL, OL, QB, and DB than on WR.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Johnson is gone in 1 or 2 years and our talent at WR/TE has fallen considerably from a few years ago.