1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blake Bortles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I just wanted to start a new thread on Bortles, as Remii never did.

How about that 2-1 INT to TD ratio?

Sure does look like the Texans missed out. I'm just glad we didn't write him off after his first game of the preseason, or the entire preseason, or his first NFL snaps.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He got taken too high and now the Jags are stuck with him...

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

like i said when people were calling for us to take him, his ceiling is Schaub

4. Two Sandwiches

I said his most accurate comparison was Jake Locker.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Two things made me question Blake Bortles:

1. I saw part of the UH game and he looked very bad. Did not appear to be a future NFL QB against a defense of total scrubs.

2. George O'Leary was interviewed by AM610 before the draft and he did everything but endorse Bortles. It blew me away but I appreciated his honesty. Huge red flag for me.

6. Two Sandwiches

I think point number two there is huge. O'Leary more than likely didn't give O'Brien an absolute endorsement on Bortles, otherwise, I have a feeling we would have taken him.

For O'Leary, I'm sure his allegiance to O'Brien (especially behind closed doors) far outweighed his to Bortles.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He also threw 2 pick 6's today and has 4 total on the season

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You think his girlfriend will dump him? I'll keep my Saturday nights open.........

9. Buck Turgidson

Are we still talking about Blaine Gabbert?

10. Remii

Remii Member

I don't start too many threads, but thanks for thinking of me Eddie... So sweet of you to have me on your mind.

Why don't you MF's start a Sammy Watkins thread since you want to bring up players that I talked about before the draft.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just watching Bortles in college, it was clear he wouldnt do much in the NFL...or at least, it would take a lot of hard work, coaching, and game adjustments for him to find success as a solid NFL starter.

His final game against Baylor showed me all I needed to see...the box score numbers looked fine, but anyone who actually watched the game would have noticed that he was not nearly as good as ESPN wanted them to believe.

12. Two Sandwiches

Watkins is great.

I only started this because two weeks ago you told me to quit tapdancing around the table and eat my crow.

I may have been wrong on Bridgewater, time will tell. I'll own it, though.

I'm still not convinced the two are totally bad, though.

13. what

what Member

Anybody that watches Blake Bortles and thinks hey he is a scrub, just don't know a lot about football.

Bortles has immense talent. His problem right now is that he is a gunslinger without a lot of knowledge about what defenses are doing to him.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Meh... They're rookies. Even the great John Elway was benched as a rookie. Steve Young didn't look like he belonged when he was a rookie... Heck, even Neo couldn't make his 1st jump in the Matrix.

Blake's best receivers are two rookie receivers and he has an OC who's fresh out of college. He's a gun slinger and he likes to force the action so I've already stated I expect him to throw 20 plus interceptions this year. Blake, Teddy, and Carr Jr all look promising when I watch them on all 22... Even Zach Mettenburger looked promising considering the pressure he had to face in his 1st start (but I haven't watched him on all 22 yet). I'm out of the old school so I don't expect rookie quarterbacks to be statistically great and mistake free in their 1st season. I wouldn't mind having either one of them.

And Watkins is the guy I advocated drafting over Clowney if the Texans didn't like any of the quarterbacks and I got ridiculed for that as well. He made the All AP team as a true freshman... Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, and Herschel Walker were the only other players to ever do that and we see what Sammy is doing in the pros now... And look at his quarterbacks. True #1 receivers are probably harder to find than any other position (besides finding a great quarterback).

I'm gassing up the "Gurley Bandwagon" already for next year's draft... Lol...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2 years ago Bortles was being talked about as a 5th-7th rounder.... AS AN H-BACK. Literally. Go check. He was being considered as a project athlete. Then he played in a bowl game, ESPN hyped him, and he gets drafted too high.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Aaron Rodgers couldn't get d1 scholarship. Things seem to change a lot with football.

17. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Neither could Clay Matthews.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Year two coming up for Blake. I honestly think O'Brien wanted Blake but couldn't justify it to the owner and the fans because they had Clowney fever. People were in love with Clowney and Teddy so much they didn't even want to look at Blake with a open mind because they haven't heard of him even though Blake beat Teddy on primetime TV in his house with a come from behind win.

But maybe you guys were right about Blake being a bust... But it doesn't look like it. The kid looks like a stud.

19. Buck Turgidson

OH NO, but how many stars was he? #recruitapalooza

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Actually, the Texans shouldve traded up and got Teddy Bridgewater... The kid can play, and has had a terrific start to his 2nd season...

***Also of note: You DONT know what Bill is thinking/thought...We have yet to see what Clowney can do, but we already know that Bortles is gonna eat a ton of sacks yet again this season.