1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Role Player Hall of Fame Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Jul 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure what your point is. The OP suggests maybe Horry makes it soon, too.

And my point is Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Johnson are ALREADY in the HOF, yet they are mentioned a lot in this thread too. Did you not understand that I was saying "why no mention of Ginobody" if those guys are mentioned?

btw: Ginobody is only HOF material, because international play counts. If it's just NBA play, Rodman, Pippen and DJ still make it, but Ginobody doesn't.

2. heypartner

I think it is easier to define what a Role Player is not. A Role Player is not the best player on a Championship Team. Dennis Johnson was the best player on a Championship Team. So, I don't see how he is mentioned here, because he breaks the golden rule of defining a Role Player.

make sense?

3. Fefo

Fefo Member

ginobili its not a role player, sure hall of famer and star. But then again pippen or dj were also stars.
    Ill add to this list aaron mckie and eric snow. Good role players, snow a steady pg and good defender and mckie a sg who could shoot some, defend some and play both sg and sf.

4. Fefo

Fefo Member

Thats a pretty lame argument. Of course international play counts, its the bball hall of fame, not the nba. Thats like saying he is only an allstar because he played and all star game. Well actually thats what u need to do to be able to be an all star or in this case a future HoFamer.

5. heypartner

I'm not making an argument about who deserves to be in the HOF.

I'm asking why does no one mention Ginobody in this thread when three HOFers have been mentioned...all of them are better than him as well.

So, isn't Ginobody, right now, the lead candidate role-player to make it into the HOF. Horry would be second?

6. Shakee

Shakee Member

I've gotta go with Jamal Crawford. Outside of Ginobili, I don't know of anybody better off the bench.

7. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Muggsy Bogues, McDyess, Sprewell

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

This may be underselling but I always thought of Chandler Parsons as an elite role player.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

don't forget james posey

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Vinnie Johnson

12. spysta

spysta Member

Rod Strickland The GOAT role player

13. spysta

spysta Member

Ginobili is not a role player, for years he was the best 2 guard not named Kobe (or arguably wade) in the nba.

The fact that he came off the bench was a matter of strategy he was a star in this league for many years. First Ballot Hall of Fame easily in the real Hall of Fame.

14. bilease

bilease Member

Since when is 14/4/4 (right now, declining and will be lower when he retires) a "sure hall of famer"? Or do 2 All Star selections put a player into the hall of fame? Because aside from being on the right team, I don't remember anything special he did for the sport to be a "sure hall of famer". Not really a "sure hall of famer" to me, maybe that's because in my opinion the individual achievements/talent and impact on the sport count for the hall of fame rather than team success (he didnt carry the Spurs to those championships). I'm not saying that I definitely dont want him to be in the hall of fame, he might deserve it, but not "for sure". Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, Dirk etc. are "sure hall of famers". Ginobili might make it one day, but I dont see it as a sure thing. If he wouldnt have been on the Spurs team all those years, he would be considered as a (good) role player. And don't forget his flops probably added 1-4 additional points per game :)

15. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

If international play is taken into account for this, then Scola for sure

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

Mario Elie

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Horry feels he deserves consideration for Hall

Robert Horry is an NBA originator. He is one of the primary reasons why teams in the past 20 years began adding outside shooters for playoff stretch runs. Horry, with his 3-point prowess and ability to hit game-changing shots, was a critical part of seven NBA title teams over his 16-year career with the Rockets, Suns, Lakers, and Spurs.

What’s more, Horry’s seven championships is the most of any NBA player not a Celtic. Horry is considered one of the league’s ultimate winners and played a pivotal part in all of his seven titles, which begs the question, is he a Hall of Famer?

Horry says yes.

“The crazy thing about the Hall of Fame is if you look at the history of basketball, there’s a lot of guys with less stats than me,” he said. “If I don’t get in, fine. If I get in, fine. Half the guys in the Hall haven’t accomplished half the things I have, so I’m not worried about that.

“Part of me hopes I don’t get in because if you aren’t in, people still talk about you. Once you go in you’re kind of the old cow they put out to pasture and they forget about you. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the cities I played in know that I brought them championships and the teammates I played with know they had the best teammate they could ever have.”

Horry made a career out of big shots during the postseason. He averaged just 7 points per game during his NBA career and 7.9 during the playoffs, but the timing of his shots was uncanny, catapulting him to revered status for his clutch play.

“You can see the look on some guys’ faces of who’s going to get that shot. I always wanted that shot,” he said. “I hardly ever had those plays run for me, but in the back of my mind I’ve always known that no one is going to allow a team to have a first option. As long as I’m in the second option spot, I’m the man. I was just very blessed that my teammates believed in me and passed me the ball in those opportunities. I was very fortunate that the guys believed in me and trusted me to take that shot. That’s all you need sometimes is a little bit of faith from your teammates and good things can happen.”

Former Houston coach Rudy Tomjanovich, speaking about his players on the Rockets’ back-to-back title teams in 1994 and ’95, endorses Horry for the Hall of Fame.

“The Hall of Fame is one of those things in life that if it comes, it comes. If I had a vote, would I vote for Robert? Doggone right,” Tomjanovich said. “I think we should bring attention to the people that have made their mark on the league . . . If it was up to me, I would vote yes, but I don’t think in the overall scheme of things that it means anything. Everybody knows Robert for what he’s done. If he gets there, I don’t think it’ll change the way they feel about him. He’s a part of the conversation. To me, that’s fame.”[/rQUOTEr]

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Scola is a super star in international play.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you want to go old school Rockets, I'd say Robert Reid. One of my favorite Rockets role players.

Not sure if Rudy and Calvin would count as role players or stars.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'd say Ben Wallace. Dude was underrated, even though he won DPoY often.