1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by senter, Oct 12, 2014.

1. senter

senter Member

I saw the official "should I" thread but there's a lot of football in there. I feel like it would be best to have a separate thread for basketball questions (rate my team, trade advice, waiver wire, etc.)

2. senter

senter Member

May as well start it off. I need a small forward, and someone offered me Trevor Ariza for Ryan Anderson. I'm trying to not be biased as a rockets fan. Seems like a fairly balanced trade... How do you think Ariza will perform as the 3rd option on our team this year? And is Ryan Anderson even starting?

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'd keep ariza. he'll produce steals and 3s. ryan will just be getting 3s

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I think Ariza overachieved last year, and would rather have Anderson.

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Would you rather have Dwight Howard or Deandre Jordan? Also Damian Liallard or Kyle Lorwry in fantasy... Also who are the sleepers this year? Please let me know.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I've been going dwight but the best big man going way to late or cheap depending on what type of draft your doing is, is Marc gasol.

Absolute steal

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ryan Anderson over Ariza. Anderson can rebound the ball and fits nicely alongside either Asik or Davis.

8. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Ryan Anderson is injury prone, stick with Ariza.

9. senter

senter Member

Well, I should probably post my team since that obviously should be taken into account when making a trade decision like this:

[​IMG]

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you should make that trade you only have on SF on the roster if Perry Jones doesnt produce well you will be stuck - you have other PFs on the roster you can rotate out for with Anderson.

in terms of stats I think they are pretty even you should go with Ariza to give your roster more flexibility

11. The Stig

The Stig Member

So this is my first time play Fantasy Basketball. Any tips/advice and a brief run down of how the standard league works will do wonders for me!

12. senter

senter Member

It depends what the league settings are. I'll assume your league is H2H. Essentially, you'll draft your team, which will consist of players from any team. Each week you will be up against a different person in your league. Every day you will want to set your lineups, which basically means that you will look and see who has a game that day and put them in. On some days, you'll have more players playing games than spots available so you'll have to decide who will be on your bench for that night. Every play that is NOT on the bench will accumulate stats for you that will count for your totals for the week. Usually there will be 9 categories that are counted (Points, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, 3 Pointers Made, Field Goal Percentage, Free Throw Percentage, and Turnovers). At the end of the week it will total all of those stats that were counted for both you and your opponent and will look at each category individually. If your team contributed more points than the other person's team then you win that category, and so on and so forth with the other 8 categories (obviously you want to have less turnovers than your opponent). Whoever wins the majority of the categories wins the week. So it doesn't matter how much you won by, it just matters that you get at least 5 out of the 9 categories. Now, in terms of strategy, a lot of people will punt specific categories in H2H, meaning, they will draft guys like Andre Drummond or Dwight Howard who will really hurt your freethrow percentage, but they will help you a lot in FG%, rebounds, and blocks every week. So you're essentially giving up on 1 category to strengthen 3 categories. Remember, the goal is to win just 5 so in this situation all you need is two more. Anyway, that's the gist. I'll post a bit more later after my meeting at work

1 person likes this.
  13. The Stig

The Stig Member

Went through my first draft last night. It's a H2H league and here's my team based on draft order. How did I do? Any tinkering before season tip off?

1. L. James
    2. D. Lillard
    3. A. Jefferson
    4. N. Vucevic
    5. T. Lawson
    6. D. Favors
    7. J. Parker
    8. N. Pekovic
    9. D. West
    10. G. Hill
    11. A. Afflalo
    12. D. Collison
    13. R. Jackson

14. senter

senter Member

How many teams in your league? It looks pretty solid to me. Who's on your waiver wire? I cant imagine there are any moves to make now outside of trades. Seems like a well rounded team, you don't have much 3 point shooting outside of Lillard and maybe Ty Lawson though so you could look to either address that or trade away Lillard to bulk up your other cats

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

Thanks once again. There are 10 people total in my league. Waiver wire thing is tomorrow. I dunno much about it in terms of Fantasy Basketball.

I didn't realise that I had a hole in SG until I drafted all my Bigs. In terms of 3 pt shooters that didn't get picked up, there's Gerald Green, Troy Daniels, DJ Augustin, and Vince Carter. Meh?

Trade Lillard away? I like Lillard though! Well asides from what he did to us in the PO last year... :mad:

16. Amir's Johnson

Here's my work-in-progress team:
    1. Rajon Rondo
    2. James Harden
    3. Reggie Jackson
    4. Andre Iguodala
    5. Dwight Howard
    6. Derrick Favors
    7. Marc Gasol
    8. Jonas Valanciunas
    9. Tony Parker
    10. Marcus Smart
    11. Wilson Chandler
    12. Evan Turner
    13. Anderson Varjao

I'm in a 12 team, H2H, 9-cat league. I collected a lot of big guys just because my league loves to trade. I know I'm going to have to find a way to replace Turner, Chandler, Smart.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Here's my team...thoughts:

1. Love
    2. Cousins
    3. Dragic
    4. Parsons (gross)
    5. Ariza
    6. Teague
    7. Sanders
    8. R. Jackson
    9. J. McRoberts
    10. Greek Freak
    11. Ilysova
    12. Dieng
    13. Felton
    14. Bennett
    15. H. Barnes

18. thisiscaketown

Depends on what categories your league has and how many people are in your league. Assuming this is a 9-category Head-to-Head league, your team doesn't seem very strong in any category and needs some work. The good news is that the waiver wire should be pretty good this season, since it should have a lot of injured players that will be ready to go as the season progresses. It would be nice to see your waiver wire and to know what type of league yours is.

Some things to work on would be:

1. Get another Point Guard. Since Michael Carter-Williams is supposedly coming back on November 19th, if he's still on the waiver wire, drop Raymond Felton right away for him. Felton's behind Jameer Nelson on the depth chart, and he also may not be ready for the start of the season either.

2. Get another Center. Lose Josh McRoberts and pick up someone like Timofey Mozgov, who'll be starting for the Nuggets.

I'd like to provide more input, but it's hard to say how to improve your team if I don't know what your waiver wire looks like or what the other people's rosters look like.

19. thisiscaketown

Who's on your waiver wire?

20. thisiscaketown

Ariza makes your team decent in Steals while not being too much of a dropoff as far as 3's goes. It definitely is a hard choice, because Anderson may gain SF eligibility as well, with the Pelicans experimenting with a 3-big lineup.

Also, your waiver wire should at least have someone better than Steven Adams on it. I'd take Mozgov or Dieng before I'd take Adams, who is just too inconsistent for my taste.