1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the Rockets back-up point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Oct 18, 2014.

?

Who should be the Rockets back-up point guard?

1. Isaiah Canaan

60 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Ish Smith

69 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Nick Johnson

31 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. other

48 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

If you look throughout history, it appears that the majority of starting point guards on championship teams have been good defenders, and big/strong enough to handle switches reasonably well: Derek Fisher (5 rings), Ron Harper (5 rings), Mario Elie (3 rings), Isiah Thomas (2 rings), Rajon Rondo, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups ect. Perhaps the worst defender at point-guard to win multiple rings has been Tony Parker, but it's not like Tony is Kyrie-esque on the defensive end. Tony's old scouting reports and dRAPM suggest that Tony is far from the defensive sieve some make him out to be. With all that being said, perhaps we should be leaning towards a defensive point-guard to fill the void Jeremy Lin left. Nick Johnson perhaps? Or Ish Smith who can not only defend but also facilitate well?

That's one way to look at it. Another thought that has crossed my mind is that it's a lot harder to play defense once the team has approached the foul limit, so perhaps defense shouldn't be the emphasis when considering our back-up point guard. Perhaps we should be looking for more of an offensive spark, someone like Isaiah Canaan who I would argue is a stronger Aaron Brooks, possessing the same fearless ability to create his own shot.

Vote and discuss.

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It's going to be Bev after we trade for Rondo/Rubio/Dragic.

Soon.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

oh yea we getting dragic . soon I mean February. chico told me.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

No way.

Their would hardly be a change in the teams performance if we upgraded at he one. The west is stacked at PG's so the advantage to upgrading it in respect to what they cost doesn't make sense.

Keep the elite defensive PG in bev who has potential to be a nice 7-10million player once his offensive game grows.

I see the backup spot as the key to the guard rotation. Mchale and choose if he needs scoring or passing or in the future defence in either Canaan, ish, Johnson.

I think ish needs to be the stop gap pg for the first 20 or so games before reassessing

5. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

It's gonna be jason terry. he's the kind of veteran leader the bench needed, and he will be handling the ball when James isn't on the floor a lot. He'll probably exclusively handle the ball when dwight and james aren't on the floor

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Should?

Jeremy Lin.

Will?

Ish Smith.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Canaan is nowhere near Aaron Brooks.

Mchale will probably rotate Canaan/ish throughout the season and see who is competent enough to pass the ball to Howard or Harden correctly without screwing up.

Come Feb-April neither will probably be even in the rotation

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

hahahahahahahahaha... you are going to lose your Rockets fan card

See if you can figure out the forward facing little small issue:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/eliema01.html

#8 don grahamleone, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. Normalus

Normalus Member

Beverley? Harden as a starter.

Harden
    Daniels
    Ariza
    TJones
    Howard

Beverley
    Terry/Johnson
    Papa/Garcia
    Dorsey or Adrien
    Motie

10. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Really? Come on man.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Troy. Because Harden is the playmaker whenever he is on the court, and Troy can guard 1's. Cannan and Johnson aren't ready, and Ish will get cut.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

QFT, also where are we getting that ish is a decent defender? He's interested in defending, but that doesn't mean he can hang with the majority of the league's backups. Our paint and wing defense becomes even more important this year.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I was like 9 when the rockets won their first ring, but I didn't realize Ellie was a pg.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

James harden.

When beg sits, bring in terry/Daniels. When harden sits bring beg back in.

15. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

So everybody is just going to run with what everybody else says?? Jason Terry, especially considering Troy Daniels is a LOCK for back-up SG, is also an option at PG!!!!! He's a veteran and if he can play, he should play. None of those guys are worthy and I would say Nick Johnson is a more of a SG based on what I've seen.

16. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Ah yeah Mario Ellie was a point guard..... lol
    Your Rockets Card Just Got Pulled

1 person likes this.
  17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Isaiah Canaan or Nick Johnson.

18. Space City

Space City Member

He is a good defender. He was ranked 8th last season in DRPM among point guards:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Still, I really hope he isn't Bev's primary backup this season. I'm hoping we trade for a decent backup PG before the season starts and that Nick Johnson will be ready to take over by December.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ort-Terry-finally-gets-court-time-5831090.php

Backup at point still up for grabs

The competition for the backup point guard role remains too close to call midway through the preseason.

Ish Smith has worked as the first point guard off the bench behind Pat Beverley, but Isaiah Canaan's play has improved in the past two games.

"Isaiah struggled for a while earlier in camp, but played really well the last couple of games," coach Kevin McHale said. "Ish has been pretty solid all along.

"We're still looking at all those guys. I'm not going to play three point guards … so one of those guys will sit. It's kind of up to them to decide who plays well, who wants it."

20. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

PBev. With some luck we'll get Rondo to start for us