1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Requirement, Allowing State to Enforce Law This Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Oct 14, 2014.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...-voter-id-requirement-allowing-state-26196940

-------------------

Basically what they said is because it is so close to the election they can't undo the law until after the election. Then I'm sure after there will be even more appeals.

Personally, I always thought IDs if so important should be issued without fee so that the poll tax portion of this didn't come into play.

2. val_modus

val_modus Member

Imagine if you had to pass a quiz on your candidate's policies before you got to vote for them... What would happen then?

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Uninformed voters come from both sides. :rolleyes:

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A disgusting joke.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

I don't think there are a lot of posters here that would deny that uninformed voters are disproportionately from the right wing :rolleyes:

Using God, freedom, and the constitution is a much easier propaganda tool to reel in those voters, kudos to the right for perfecting it.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There's already a thread on voter suppression.

Mods can we merge?

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Seriously, why exactly is it wrong to require an ID?

8. CometsWin

The first reason is because none of those items you've listed are Constitutionally guaranteed rights. The second reason is because there is no benefit to the public good to require ID's to prevent fraud that isn't happening but there is a substantial negative effect in making it more difficult to vote for people who not surprisingly vote overwhelmingly against those who are pushing voter ID laws. Just like the attempts to curtail early voting and same day voter registration, it's a blatant attempt to curb voting. If it were anything but that you could present tens of thousands of cases of voter ID fraud to defend your position but you can't so let's equate my rights as an American citizen to registering my car.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Might want to drop that reason.

10. CometsWin

Productive as always. We need a stronger ignore function.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why require something that won't make a difference. I thought republicans were all about not creating unnecessary regulations that fix a problem that doesn't exist?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Constitution is only good for guaranteeing he has his guns. Not for you to vote.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The truth is hard to ignore.

Never said that. Just pointed out BS in his post. False statements in your argument weaken your argument. He should be thankful.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Out of all that, and you failed to mention

REGISTERING TO VOTE

And there are roughly three things on that list that if you show, Texas would have allowed you to vote under previous law...in 2011

Last four of you SSN
    Utility Bill
    Check with name and address on it

That was the law in 2011

You see...in over 40 states, you don't need to show an ID at the booth. You don't need to show it because YOU ALREADY REGISTERED TO VOTE, and passed screening at that time. You just need to register and then they have your name and address.

pretty simple.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a topic, in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't matter. If you can't get your **** together and find some piece of ID, then you probably dont need to be voting anyways. If its required to have an ID for voter registration, then it shouldn't be too far of a step to bring it again. The surface of this argument is ignorant.

And Bandwagoner is correct, we do not have a constitutional right to vote. Whatever sarcastic witty remark one wants to come up with in retort, it doesn't change that fact.

There are two major issues that get swept under the rug on this debate:

-Voter ID and voter fraud doesn't not threaten the national elections. Its the local elections that can be manipulated. Local elections are much more important to an individual than trying to elect the puppet into the white house or the baboons into congress. Its sad more people do not pay attention to them.

-Voter registration is where the bulk of the fraud/abuse/neglect occurs. Since every state/county/district does it different, its hard to police it. For example, if you go to register and the clerk "loses" it, you may not get to vote. There is nothing you can do except fill out a provisional ballot that probably wont get counted. And as we all know with the incompetence in the government level, who knows what creative ways they come up with to suppress a certain groups vote.

1 person likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And who better to believe about the 15th amendment than our very own tactical semantic warrior and his sidekick home school dropout anonymously blabbering away on the Internet?

Voter Suppression - stupid people like it!

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no, you only have to register once. You do not have to show Photo ID ever again if you stay in the same precinct.

This is not like anything else in that list.

over 40 states and the Supreme Court disagree with you.

no, your argument to require it is ignorant. Even Texas up to 2011 disagreed with you. Don't make me show you Texas' previous law.

the only thing you are trying to accomplish is voter suppression.

Please tell us what else you are trying to accomplish or stop...you can't. Because if you attempt to, SamFisher and I will crush your ignorant arguments, and you don't want to go there. There's already a big thread where that happened.

don't go there.

#17 heypartner, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a ridiculous comment to dismiss the bigger situation at hand. How many people move from their district and how often? Lets compare that number to people who are "suppressed".

Again, you are running off on a misdirected red herring for your argument. Lets review your reading comprehension skills:

Where did I suggest I support voter ID laws? To quote myself, I stated "...in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter." Its safe to say I really do not care either way. While you're busy fighting the noble fight that only affects a fraction of a percent, continue to avoid the bigger issue. All you're doing is arguing issues the media presents to you. So feel free to "crush" away on an irrelevant topic.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Where is the fraud happening? Why are people trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist but does weaken their opposing party?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

When Space Ghost becomes a ward of the state later in his life, and find that this now entails requirements with which he's unable to comply, I doubt he'll have time to reflect on how he's digging his own unmarked grave.

The irrelevant topic is voter fraud as it does not exist in any meaningful way any more so than Loch Ness monsters or the events described in chain emails that giddyup forwards to all of us.

The relevant topic is voter suppression which is the true objective of this law - despite what the slackjawed droolers may dimly flub about above, it actually does matter.