1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Parsons too heavy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shorey, Oct 11, 2014.

1. shorey

shorey Member

Fat contract == fat Parsons, hahaha

DALLAS -- Chandler Parsons, whose wallet got much fatter when he signed a three-year, $46 million deal with the Dallas Mavericks, also focused on bulking up his physique this summer.

As far as coach Rick Carlisle is concerned, Parsons added too much weight.

For the second time since the Mavs reported to camp, Carlisle made a point to note that Parsons needed to shed weight. The 6-foot-9 Parsons, who was listed at 215 pounds during his three-year tenure with the Houston Rockets, reported to training camp at approximately 235 pounds.

Carlisle believes the increased weight has created conditioning issues for Parsons, who had nine points on 4-of-12 shooting, six rebounds and six assists in 20 minutes during Friday night's preseason loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"He looked tired out there tonight to me and his shot is short," Carlisle said. "He's working on losing some weight. He's a little bit heavier than he's been. He's up over 230 and we want to see him get down to at least 225. That's a work in progress, and tonight's one of those nights where I think the extra weight was a hindrance."

Parsons particularly focused on lifting weights during the free-agency process, when he didn't play basketball to protect himself from injury. Primarily a small forward, Parsons felt he needed to add strength to play significant minutes at power forward, a role he could fill for the Mavs when Dirk Nowitzki rests during the season.

Carlisle has made his opinion clear to Parsons, who doesn't necessarily agree with his coach on the matter, but is willing to shed some weight.

"His opinion of heavy is different than mine," said Parsons, who was 1-of-6 from 3-point range against the Thunder. "We kind of go at it every day about it. At the end of the day, I respect his opinion. After training camp, my weight fluctuates. I'll get it down."

Asked about Parsons' weight gain on the first day of camp, Carlisle dryly remarked, "One man's bulking up is another man's not quite in shape yet."

Ten days later, Carlisle was more pointed with his public commentary on Parsons' conditioning.

"An increase of 18 to 20 pounds is just too much," Carlisle said. "We talked about it today. We talk about it a lot. He'll get there. He'll get there, but he looked tired out there and a little heavy-legged, and the extra seven or eight pounds aren't helping.

"I don't mean to call him out in public or ridicule him, but it's just a fact. He's an important guy for us. We just need him to get to his right conditioning and weight level so he can play his best, because we're going to need him to play a lot of minutes over the course of 82 games."

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

yeah Parsons is not Lebron. Only someone like Lebron could carry 250 pounds and still move quick enough like a light tank

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think it will be sooner than later to realize this is one of Moreys better moves.

1 person likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wow. Parsons is offended by this.

5. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Parsons, just come back to Houston. We will open the arms and he will hug us.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

He's not only going to complement dirk, but he's gonna replace him :grin:

7. jayland

jayland Member

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yes, yes, Chandler, fight with your coach, come to the dark side!! Muahahaha!!

Seriously though, doesn't sound like Dallas is the dream situation he has made it out to be so far. He is already getting crap from his coach. :eek:

Enjoy that money Parsons!

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Carlisle is a bulldog, not a pillowcase like McHale. Apparently Parsons learned this the very first day of camp and gets reminded on a daily basis. He better shed the weight or his relationship with Carlisle will continue to get worse.

10. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

This is the funniest post EVER that I have seen on this site.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Do you guys really think Carlisle would care about the weight if it didn't affect his conditioning?

Also, why would Chandler think he needs to bulk up and play PF next to Dirk? Has there been any indication that Dirk would all of a sudden give up his natural position?

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'M CULTIVATING MASS BRO.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZFB3L1FZnqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. baubo

baubo Member

Yeah, this is the part I don't get. It's one thing if he's bulking up for the Rockets because we want to use him as a stretch 4 with Ariza. But he's clearly a pure SF in Dallas.

1 person likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

235?

He was listed at 227 last season, is gaining 8 pounds really that much of a problem?

I fluctuate like hell, I don't know how, but It's very easy for me to gain or loose 10 pounds in a week, I hardly can tell the difference when i'm 10 pounds heavier...but overall i'm super skinny anyways so maybe that's why.

15. RedRedemption

10 pounds a week? That is not healthy man lol.
    You should be gaining or losing at max 2 pounds a week.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

RV6 can probably shed more light in the subject but from my observations Chandler looked fat. I saw no gain in muscle mass or definition. I think he's just saying he wanted to bulk up to deflect the fact that he partied and got out of shape.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have no clue how, but I have weighed my self at 120 before and then weighed in 5 days later at 128+, vice versa as well. I never go above loosing or gaining 10 pounds so i'm not worried, I'm also a healthy eater so my weight just depends on how much i'm eating that week or 2.

18. RedRedemption

120?
    What is your height?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, let's clear things up

It might not matter to you. But it matters to a professional athlete, especially someone playing in the best league worldwide, on a playoff team in the toughest division and the toughest Conference.

Playing against the best of the best. Creme de la creme. Top of all competition

20. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Mavs had received verbal agreement from Lance Stephenson thinking that Rockets would match Parsons. Ended up over paying for Parsons. Screw you Cuban!!! Lol