1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommended Ramen Noodle joint in Houston.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Oct 7, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Not looking for Pho so there is a difference. What is Ramen? via wikipedia

Ramen (/ˈrɑːmən/) (ラーメン rāmen?, IPA: [ɽäꜜːmeɴ]) is a Japanese noodle soup dish. It consists of Chinese-style wheat noodles served in a meat- or (occasionally) fish-based broth, often flavored with soy sauce or miso, and uses toppings such as sliced pork (チャーシュー chāshū?), dried seaweed (海苔 nori?), kamaboko, and green onions. Nearly every region in Japan has its own variation of ramen, from the tonkotsu (pork bone broth) ramen of Kyushu to the miso ramen of Hokkaido.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not Goro and Gun.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Try the Harris Country jail. :p

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wait, your strategery is to ask for advice from people you believe you need to educate on the subject first?

5. 713

713 Member

Food City. 1906 Chapman St.

6. VanityHalfBlack

It's my sense of humor,;) Would you like to get some Ramen?

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm pretty sure no I has ever confused pho with ramen

Anyway, not a big ramen fan, much rather have pho

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I only eat japanese at Nippon on Montrose.

9. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I like Tiger Den on Bellaire and Ninja Ramen on Washington.

I was driving home yesterday and saw that Sushi King and Fat Bao on Kirby both have ramen (but only on certain days). Check their websites.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I have, that's because I'm a stupid fat American. I thought Pho and Ramen were the same, soup based wise.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Try Fat Bao

12. VanityHalfBlack

For the organic Veggie lovers. [​IMG]

13. Cranberry_Juice

Fat Bao has ramen everyday i believe in the sugarland location. Kata Robata ramen is pretty good too.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Avoid Ninja Ramen on washington ave. Way over priced and the owner is terrible.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

kata robata has a pretty good spicy ramen.

Tiger Den - small place. gets crowded early. I didn't like the broth there. Also, the noodles were too soft.

17. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Well this is what I wrote in response to Tiger Den in the best restaurant thread.

Yea I understand they are like more like Chinese noodles, but I don't understand why they would do that. Apparently they have their own machine in the back that makes their noodles. I feel like im eating a bowl of like beef noodle soup when I eat their ramen. I don't mean like naturally occurring MSG, I just mean straight up dumping the powder in the broth. The reason why putting MSG is cheating is because to make true ramen broth its time consuming and it costs more money because of the bones they have to buy. If you just throw MSG in there they don't have to take hours to make it or have to buy bones. Let me just throw MSG and thats it done. Same thing with Pho you can tell the difference going to a place that actually boils the bones vs a MSG place. The actual one tastes so much more clean.

Anyways besides that there is no really true elite ramen here. Not yet anyways. You are going to need to go to New York, LA or Japan for that now. Unless one of us clutchfanners here wants to bring one of those chains down here.

18. VanityHalfBlack

Clutchfans Ramen noodle doodle, Yeah I'm down. The official Clutchfans Ramen noodle shop where any member of this board can come up with their own Ramen Noodle soup creation! Let's do it!!

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I would much rather have pho over ramen. I believe its a fad food and is being over-hyped with all the media and new openings of ramen restaurants. Surely, there are some good ones out there, just not worth the time to search for imo.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Would a noodle only restaurant even survive here? I've seen many pho restaurants open and close. I think I've only seen one stay in business longer than five to six years.

I think they need more than just noodles, perhaps the banh mi and some Chinese food mixed in. There are a lot of fusion restaurants that sell Japanese/Chinese food, what about a Japanese/Vietnamese fusion? That would be pho, ramen, banh mi and some sushi. Anyone want to kick start me the money to start one?