1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

you gain 30 yards on first 3 runs.......and you call a spread play on 3rd and 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He chose none of those QB's because he didn't believe it was worth the price it would cost to get them... its not like he's choosing Fitz as his long-term QB at all

I'm going to give him more than 5 games to get this offense going, regardless of QB... right now, their biggest issue is actually O-line execution. Just not enough consistent blocking in either the running or passing game.

2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The O-line has regressed some, but I feel with a competent QB the Texans would still be in better shape. Its just hard for me to have much confidence because I haven't seen anything to get excited about so far with the offense. I don't think it can get much better as long as Fitz is the QB. He is what he is.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, he is... and the off-season of 2013 was not the only time to fix the QB situation.

He's a stop-gap... the next QB that will lead this team to the playoffs is likely not on this roster. And there's still obviously other areas that need fixing as well.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Something just popped in my mind and I thought it was appropriate to put in this thread. Was anyone else skeptical when coach Bob decided not to go with an OC and call all the plays himself, especially with this being his first head coaching gig in the NFL? He's looking like he could have benefited from having a good OC to run the offense. Fitz has been bad but play calling is a huge concern right now too.

5. dmoneybangbang

The Oline hasn't been consistent, but obviously every team wants a competent QB. What are Bortles, Manziel, Bridgwater, and other draftees doing exactly? Wining? Nope.

6. dmoneybangbang

It's literally the first 5 games of new head coaches campaign.... We are 3-2.... We are on an upward trajectory from where we were last year.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bortles is throwing picks left and right, Manziel isn't as good as Brian Hoyer, Bridgewater played a good partial game against a terrible defense before getting hurt, and Carr has been meh while the Raiders lose every game.

8. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Doesn't Godsey call the plays? And O'Brien can overrule him? I don't think Godsey has ever called plays before? He was just a qb for O'Brien at Georgia Tech and has been an NFL assistant for a few years. I heard a rumor that Godsey wasn't designated as OC this season in order to shield him from blame and criticism. It's a grooming year I guess.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I didn't expect us to be better than last season to be honest. New coach, new system, new QB, etc. too many moving pieces to achieve team solidarity this early on.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't realize we had no backs in the backfield. Pretty foolish not having the threat of a run in that situation.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

This hurts extremely because it's Dallas, but let's focus on the positives.

We fought back and the guys were tenacious til the end. BOB also has improvements to make. It's his first effin year, but let's be thankful that guys are buying into this system.

It will work out and I really do see us pulling out with a win on Thursday. Be hopeful, because this team has only upwards to go.

Most of you people bashing expected to go 6-10 this season, and I think we're a better team than that. Stop being a fairweather fan, and appreciate the growth of this team before you.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No such thing as fairweather Houston fans. There's never fair weather for these teams. If you're here commenting on Texans games and invested in the outcomes emotionally while on the heels of a 2-14 season, you're not a fairweather fan.

I'm with you that they're playing better than I expected, though. If this team had nothing more than an above average QB they'd be very dangerous.

1 person likes this.
  13. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

14. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Ok, I deleted half your quote, but you get the point lol. And yes, I can evalute what I've seen so far. It doesn't mean the whole season is destined to be that what, but I can sure as hell evalutate it.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still like BOB and I'm not trying to run him out of town after 5 games (LOL).....but that was a crappy playcall.

Probably his first big coaching mistake of the season.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you are going to try to be sneaky there, you have to at least do a play action pass where Foster is the guy you fake the handoff too.

I mean to spread him out like that tips your hand, unless you are running a QB draw.

That was a poor play call for sure.

DD

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I agree but I think the issue is that the team is not meeting the (IMO realistic) goals that a lot of posters on this site had. Many thought The Texans would be a solid NFL team despite the worst record last year. The idea that last year was more of a fluke and this year is a way to get back to a winning record. I am surprised that we have 3 wins but the teams we beat seem to be worse than I thought they would be. The good thing is we have one of the easiest schedules in football. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When he lined up empty backfield, I nealy threw my remote through the TV. It was a remarkably stupid playcall.

Having said that...Romo made an unbelievable play to avoid Watt and chuck an equally remarkable TD pass (with Manning bearing down on him) that was then incredibly surpassed by the chuck/catch in OT. Watt misses a QB like that... once, maybe twice more in his career? I mean, truly insane. And that was topped by Bryant's bananas catch, which is one of the best I've ever seen in my life. *That's* what it took for Dallas to win.

I'm not for moral victories - but I was proud of the way the Texans played. And... if they were destined to go 1-1 this week, I'd much rather they beat the Colts than the Cowboys (as much as that pains me to type).

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I predicted 6 wins.

We're already halfway there.

Being 3-1 may have given hope for exceeding my expectations (slightly), but I predicted 6 for a reason and I'm not going to be that upset if they go 3-8 0r 4-7 the rest of the way, especially if the losses are close like they were yesterday.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Still get the t*** and Jags twice each. 7 should be reachable.