1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to wear Chinese jersey this year, plan to unveil new alternates in 15-16 (UPDAT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2014.

1. 34to11

34to11 Member

I wrote:
    Guess you missed that part, unless your are actually suggesting the team have an official alternate uniform for every individual demographic in their fan-base. :confused:

The Asian community are a significant part of the Rockets fan-base and I don't see why acknowledging as much would be a problem for any other group.
    It doesn't impact their ability to support the team one iota, unless they have other issues beyond basketball fandom.

2. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Only a matter of time a Chinese themed jersey would be worn.

NBA already tries to cover one demographic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kings are next up to eventually introduce a Indian/Hindi themed jersey.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Because there is absolutely no reason to change the uniforms for a group of people of the same race or ethnicity.

New Orleans wearing Mardi Gras jerseys is a nod to the culture of the city that the team plays in. It would be like Houston wearing a space-themed jersey or something.

Even if the fan base has a large group of fans of the same race, why make a jersey relating to their race? Why ignore all of the other races that support the team? It makes no sense.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

So that's it? Your inability to relate to Hispanic or Asian cultures has you feeling ignored?
    Never mind that EVERYTHING else regarding the team is done with your culture (American) as the default?

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

It's a lunar new year thing. At the very minimum it's celebrating the diversity of our fanbase. Are you also against the special Christmas game uniforms?

6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I love it. Chinese characters are cool. Even David Beckham has a Chinese tattoo.

Chinese characters, like 火箭, were derived by culture and change over thousands of years. These will looks sick on the jerseys.

It's an international world. Have an open mind!

7. bmd

bmd Member

America is a melting pot of a whole bunch of different ethnicities. I don't think it's right to celebrate some ethnicities and ignore others. It has nothing to do with an "inability to relate to Hispanic or Asian cultures".

8. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I'm Nigerian, our greatest player was Nigerian... where is my damn Naija themed jersey!?!

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Cool with the Chinese new year thing for 3 games. Do not like the new alternate jerseys by the sounds of it. Clutch City with the red and yellow would rock.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Chinese products are garbage, they need to check it for lead.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

Not sure ignorant, or just plain stupid. :rolleyes:

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Dat chinese jersey sales!

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

火箭 characters look cool
    but sleeves jersey :smh:

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

火 is actually a pictograph of flames. Contrary to what someone said, it hasn't changed for thousands of years, actually.

箭 is more complicated. The bottom part hints at the pronunciation, the top part signifies a material: bamboo.

Chinese is the only living language that works like this. Yes, I think it's cool. And I'm not Chinese, if that matters.

1 person likes this.
  16. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

I like the concept. Don't like the sleeves but otherwise I like the look of it. And for the people who don't... well it's just three games, chill out guys ;)

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The signs actually seem to have rocket shapes in them, so that is pretty cool. I like the idea, but again the tight **** makes it terrible.

18. SevenMinuteAbs

I think the tightness of the jersey is what makes it bearable. It looks fantastic on Dwight because he's literally built like a super hero. If it was baggy it would look like a shooting shirt and look really bad IMO.

I think our regular wordmarks look bad so changing that up is why I like this one I think. I am eagerly awaiting next years tweaks.

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

That font is just ugly.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like them. They're stark. Different.

And money grab or not, I fully embrace throwing the Chinese fans a bone after all the support they've given the franchise. Only good things can come to the franchise from that subset of fans. The bond we have with China is unique and worth making every effort to continue.