1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to wear Chinese jersey this year, plan to unveil new alternates in 15-16 (UPDAT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

We celebrate the Chinese culture, not necessarily the country of China and definitely not the Chinese government. You'd be wise to remember that ethnic Chinese exist all over the world.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

same as the first character also, the first character looks like a rocket during the launching process with 2 platforms on both sides.

the 2 characters in Chinese individually means : Fire - 火, Arrow - 箭

Combine them together means Rockets.

So, Rockets = Fire Arrows.

1 person likes this.
  3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You know that there are way more worse countries in Africa than China to treat their own people? So you are going to ban all the black player in the NBA?

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

To connect a jersey to things like politics, races, human rights,

is just plain stupid.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's Les being Les and it's shameless.

1 person likes this.
  6. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Err.... Reminds me of the Man Utd tablecloth jersey :mad:

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but would someone reading that read it as "rockets" or is it just "fire arrow" and understood as that being a rocket?

8. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I don't like it one bit. Ever since Yao, it seems like we are pandering too much for that market.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Anyone that understand Chinese will understand the word means rocket. There is no such thing as fire arrow nowadays, that was something used in a war thousand years ago, this word means rocket now.

10. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Most of the black players are not African.
    How many of the African players are from these countries with ill treatment of there own people? Deng?

He just said why celebrate China not ban players.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Money changes character and not always for good...

T_Man

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Using Chinese characters on a jersey has nothing to do with politics, race, or human rights. Chinese is a language used in countries all over the world, just like English.

You do realize that many directional signs and advertisements in China are written in English also, right? Does that mean the Chinese are actively promoting and condoning the policies of the US government? No, they are just making things easier and more friendly for an international audience.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I get what you're saying... I feel the problem with most on this board is the aspect and intent of how it's being done...

A lot including myself feel as Les sold his soul to get money off of Yao and Lin, I don't feel as if most on this board have a problem with the Chinese culture itself.

T_Man

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xT0oP_8Tppk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Just reading some of the comments here, it is surprising how narrow minded, xenophobic, and isolationist people are especially regarding Asians. This will be a good move in promoting more cultural exposure and less ignorance.

16. 34to11

34to11 Member

I believe it is surprising since it has absolutely no bearing on those offended fans other than some perceived affront to their jingoistic belief system.
    They haven't removed other jerseys to replace them with the Chinese ones so I think it speaks to deeper issues for those who take exception.

If you represented a significant enough portion of the fan-base they would do it.
    In fact it's been done:

[​IMG]

What was your argument again?

1 person likes this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

Those Mardi Gras uniforms relate to the city of New Orleans. It would be like Houston having a "Clutch City" jersey.

Completely different.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

that is ugly

19. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I have no problem with recruiting a player because of their heritage in order to grow the fan base for financial reasons (provided it doesn't impact the on court performances).
    Most professional sports do it.
    MLB even started the current season opener in Australia.
    I just don't get why they need to put something on the top in a different language regardless whether it's greek, chinese, Arabic etc.
    Sure do the pre-season travel to other countries. But I'm just not for the different tops.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member