1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to wear Chinese jersey this year, plan to unveil new alternates in 15-16 (UPDAT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A Chinese jersey for 3 games? That's not really bending over backwards. This is just like the Noche Latina jersies they've done before. It's not sucking up, it's marketing and it's apparel sales. It worries me that a segment of our population gets its back up every time the word Chinese is uttered.

2 people like this.
  2. bmd

bmd Member

You think it's weird that people are not fond of when teams change their jerseys to cater to a Chinese or Spanish audience?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

HUO JIAN - Right after Lin and Yao left

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

The Clutch City jersey sounds good.

But I don't get it, why is Les and co. still not going with something that resembles the championship era jerseys? That's what the fans want! It's as if they don't care about their consumers

5. bmd

bmd Member

Just that one alternate.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What's wrong with growing your fan base?

7. bmd

bmd Member

There is nothing wrong with it and I understand why they do it from a business / marketing standpoint.

But from purely a fan perspective, without taking business reasons into account, it's not surprising that fans wouldn't particularly like it.

I mean, if there was no business incentive at all to do something like that, would you love them changing the jerseys to Chinese characters? Of course not.

It's like with the NFL and their breast cancer awareness month. I understand the idea breast cancer awareness and the players wearing pink towels and shoes and gloves and the refs having pink flags and wrist bands, etc.

But who would willingly prefer the NFL to be covered with all of that pink if it wasn't for a certain cause? Nobody LIKES all of the pink if they had the choice.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'm glad they're modifying the team font. Any graphic designer would agree how awful it really is.

9. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

I don't get why they couldn't have just done the shoulder cut this year........

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Im talking about the "Pride" jerseys. Warriors and Magic have unveiled theirs during media days.

11. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Somebody should ask Tad Brown and or Morey what is up with keeping these hideous things we call basketball jerseys? We are mocked leaguewide, every article about jerseys has us at the bottom and it's not rocket science. The font of the numbers is awkward (it used to match but since adidas changed the style, we went with this weird combo), the cut is downright awful, the stripes at the sides need changing etc. Also, the changing of the cut has been promised for years now..

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

They ARE doing it from a fans perspective. Not all fans live in Houston.

13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

That's a pathetic excuse. They are the HOUSTON Rockets

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Calling it Chinese jerseys is a tad bit misleading. If you're calling them lunar new year jerseys, i would understand totally.

Basically, they're the Chinese noche Latinos.

Wonder what the hawks are rolling with.

15. Cranberry_Juice

Sick of these Chinese jersey only fans.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Even today, that's not what is says on the jersey.

Building a market brand isn't an "excuse" ...it's a business strategy. The Rockets are a for-profit organization.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They catered to Asian fans with the current uniform. Local fans got alternates. Now it's back to catering to Asian fans. That's what bothers me, not that they do it at all.

18. baubo

baubo Member

Honestly, I think this is more an NBA marketing thing than just Rockets. The profits from jersey sales probably splits 30 ways instead of just going into Les' pockets. I just think this type of stuff is much more preferable to having ads on jerseys. While it may be inevitable, the longer they delay that crap the better.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Our current alternates are actually really nice. The main jerseys and cut are where the problem is. The rockets seem generally very forward thinking and in touch with their fans so there's no possible way they don't know what we want. They either don't care or theirs a hurdle that's preventing them from getting new jerseys sooner.

20. bmd

bmd Member

That is to make money. Not for the fans.

There are fans of all different ethnicities and backgrounds.

I'm Cajun. Where's my Cajun alternate to be worn during Mardi Gras?