1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Chandler: Mavs will be great defensive team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 22, 2014.

?

How good will be the Mavs be defensively?

1. Top 10

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 11th to 20th

76 vote(s)
    60.8%
  3. Bottom 10

39 vote(s)
    31.2%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mave...on-chandler-mavs-will-be-great-defensive-team

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks’ starting lineup is loaded with scorers, but ...

“I’m going to make them defend,” Tyson Chandler said, interrupting in the middle of the sentence. “We’re going to defend. You can score as many points as you want, but at the end of the day, defense wins championships and that’s what we’re going to do.

“Guys don’t have to be the best individual defenders in the league, but we are going to be a great defensive team. You have to do your assignment. We’re not going to take plays off.”

The Mavs at least have a defensive backbone again with the return of the 7-foot-1 Chandler to Dallas. His attitude and commitment to holding teammates accountable is arguably as importance as his athleticism.

Chandler understands that some of the Mavs’ starters have physical limitations that challenge them on the defensive end. Dirk Nowitzki isn’t going to get any quicker before the season starts. Monta Ellis isn’t going to get any taller.

All Chandler asks for is a consistent commitment to playing smart, intense defense.

It’s Chandler’s job to mask some of the Mavs’ defensive weaknesses after Dallas ranked 22nd in the league last season in defensive efficiency, allowing 105.9 points per 100 possession.

“That’s all about understanding your defense and your strengths and your weaknesses and understanding your teammates and learning how to play within the system defensively,” said Chandler, the league’s defensive player of the year in 2011-12. “I can definitely make up for that.”

Chandler isn’t waiting for training camp to set a tone. He’s constantly barking during the pickup games the Mavs have been playing for the last few weeks, demanding that Dallas’ defensive principles are followed and schemes are executed even though the coaches aren’t allowed in the gym.

“You’re going to do all the crazy stuff and work on all the things you did this summer, and that’s all fine and dandy, but on this other end, we’re starting right now,” Chandler said. “Since I got here and we started playing pickups, I’m on guys. That’s what it has to be.

“I don’t know how to turn it off and on. I only know one way, and it’s got to be the right way or else don’t suit up.”

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tyson will fight hard, but he isn't the defender he used to be. Parsons less said the better on the defensive end, and Monta too. Dirk is an average defender at best.

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Can't 'make' the holy trio of Felton/Parsons/Dirk defend, just more blah blah blah. They'll rank 16-20

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Like he got the Knicks to defend?

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

This. Weren't the Knicks like the 15th ranked defense the year he won his DPOY?

6. baubo

baubo Member

ellis maybe the only starting wing thats worse than Harden on D. Not even Chandler of 2010 can make up for the rest of that Mavs lineup

7. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lol, Tyson will defend but I dunno about the rest of the starting lineup. Used to like parsons defense but it dropped off after his rookie year. Top 8 in scoring and in the WC but will be middle of the pack in defense . They were pretty good their championship year because of Kidd and matrixs defense and Tyson chandler was pretty good center. Btw: wish we had the Dallas Jim Carrey as our coach.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

A starting lineup of

Felton?
    Ellis
    Parsons
    Dirk
    Chandler

is a good defensive team? Well I expect GREAT things from the Rockets.

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Though I will say I believe that Rick Carlise may be one coach that can get more out of these players

11. NotChandlerParsons

Oh my god please put it in spoilers it will take at least 10 years before I can look at this. Almost as bad as the Hakeem Raptors picture.

12. wise_man

wise_man Member

Parsons big mouth cost us the series against the blazers......im nothing, but glad he is not a rocket.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

WHEW that was close. Thought it meant Chandler parsons was talking great defense !

Almost gave me a heart attack.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wait? Isn't the article about quotes from Tyson Chandler? I'll be the first one to dig on Parsons for his lack of defense but let's attack him when it's right.

15. arjun

arjun Member

After reading the title i thought this was Chandler Parsons saying this...wasn't much of a surprise.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only defensive player on their team is an old Tyson Chandler.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Carlisle can coach D and Parsons has the skillset to become a good defender. Y'all need to get over the Parsons butthurt. Dallas will be top 10.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wanna make it a bet?

No pee pee games

#18 REEKO_HTOWN, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Really ? The mavericks ? Seriously ? Crap the rockets will be better n thats not sayin much.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler has a big mouth, if he could walk the talk he would.still be a Knick.

Cuban was right to let him go 3 years ago and he'll do the same when Chandlers deal expires this season. The guy just gets too much money to play on one side of the ball.