1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets team was your favorite? (sans championship years)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Sep 12, 2014.

1. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

the 2014-15 championship season team

/thread

2. kemah

kemah Member

The twin towers were up there but the Malone, Murphy, Rudy T, Robert Reid, Mike Dunleavy, Major Jones. Upsetting the mighty Lakers with their Hall of Fame team. Then beating George Gervin and San Antonio winning the battle of Texas. It was a great team and made me a Rocket for life. Of course we lost to Celtics in 6.

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

So many Rockets teams with potential to win a championshipp.. sigh..

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

(sans championship years)

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The '85-'86 team, which may have been better than either championship squad, if you included John Lucas (kicked out for coke mid-season). Yes, they lost to the Celtics in 6, but that Celtics team ranks as one of the greatest ever, and some would say they deserve the top spot. A better team than either we faced winning our two championships, in my humble opinion. And they eliminated the defending champion Lakers (who would win another championship the next season) in 5 to get there in the WC Finals, stunning then Houston beat writer Fran Blinebury, who wrote in a column before the series began that we couldn't win (I've never forgiven him for that). God, were they fun to watch!

If only coke and injuries hadn't destroyed it, leaving Dream in the Twilight Zone for years, stuck on a team that made the playoffs more often than not, but couldn't contend.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

96-97 - Dream, Drexler and Sir Charles. Damn you Stockton.... Bulls front court have no chance against Dream and Barkley. While Jordan will have his hands full with Glyde Its written in the stars. 3 in 5.
    04-05 - Tmac first join. First 50 win season in almost 10 years. Going up 2-0 against Mavs.
    07-08 - SF3 returns. Brooks, Landry and Scola. 22 winning season. And after the phonix game, I really thought SF3, Tmac and Yao will win the championship.

Special Nominations.
    86 team. I'm only 1. Hence all I have is articles and videos.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

04-05 with Bobby Sura, great run, ended badly, but fun to watch.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

My favorite would be the 96-97 Rockets team with the big 3 (Dream, Glide, Sir Charles).

10. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

And also the I like the combo of YAO & T-Mac.. first year when T-Mac joined and when he was still athletic. Forgot what year... 2004 or 2005?

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

2008-09 squad... Amazing heart... the type destined for multiple championships...

Then Tracy quit... Yao got injured... and Artest left to be Kobe's boy... and I say that not in confederate terms... but, in the terms of ancient Greece...

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

2008-2009 by far.

I'd been saying that Yao should be the centerpiece over T-Mac for years, and with him out, it happened by default. AND we had a fantastically fit supporting cast around him.

Brooks and Lowry at PG. Brooks was young, fearless and explosive offensively. Lowry was a tough bulldog without the polish he has now, but he still brought a lot to the table.

Artest, Battier and Wafer on the wings. Although Ron's shot-selection drove me crazy at times, I loved having his presence on this team, and mixed with the mild-mannered but equally-great-on-D Shane, we had lockdown perimeter D. Wafer was fun to watch, and his streaky microwave ability off the bench was needed on this defensive based team.

Scola and Landry were fantastic next to Yao. Scola was crafty and productive, while Landry brought some bounce and muscle inside, and was equally productive off the bench. Hayes and Deke were useful in certain situations as well.

It was just a perfect blend of maturity and nastiness as well poise and toughness. I'm also a big proponent of defensive squads, so that added to my fandom.

1 person likes this.
  13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I really love the 2011-2012 season....because the aquisition of...........milkhair j/k

probably the 91-92 season b/c most of the core was in place and chaney was on his way out

14. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Another vote for the '86 team. Anytime they are on the classics, I really enjoy watching them. Ralph was an unbelievable talent. Really a shame he was injured...but then Yao was also a great talent. Both were great Rockets.

Yes, that Celtics team that beat them was one of the greatest teams ever in the NBA...but for a Rockets fan, our 86 team was really special.

15. DreamEarlNolan

The 85-86 team would have to be my favorite sans the championship years. I loved how Olajuwan and Sampson didn't take crap from anyone. If you messed with either of those guys you were going to get punched in the face. Back in those days you get kicked out of the game and your back the next day to do battle again.

I also have to say I will always have a little bit of a soft spot for the 2012-2013 team. The additions of Harden, Lin, and Asik brought some hope and national relevance back to the Rockets. That was also the year my youngest daughter fell in love with the Rockets. She and I watched every game of that season together. That alone makes that season special for me.

16. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

80-81 Team. A Prime Moses Malone, Old Rudy T, Calvin, Reid take a losing record into the playoffs and make it to the finals. You could actually go down to the court before games and talk to the players back then.

17. prs325

prs325 Member

Really enjoyed the team with Sura, Wesley and J. Barry.

18. AXG

AXG Member

I truly believe that 08-09 team would have won the championship had Yao not gone down and TMac not quit

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

One thing that is seldom mentioned about "The Shot" by Sampson is the fact that Robert Reid hit that clutch 3pt shot with the shot clock running down to tie the game.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member