1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

We aren't getting Dragic. If Bledsoe goes down, then it will be a trade like Harden (at the near start of season) type of deal.

I pretty much think our roster is set until December or February.

2. cyberx

cyberx Member

If Dragic comes it's going to be for close to the max. He isn't going to be giving the Rox a discount or a break.. That's all!

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Sounds fair enough

I don't even think Dragic is the best option at this point. I rather have a PF and PG for 7-8 million than a max contract to either him or Bledsoe. Rondo is just a no-no, cannot stand that guy.

Plowman is just trolling at this point

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Done. Last years Gogi can be a third piece. He's certainly worth more then Parsons.

5. FeaR

FeaR Member

I don't want Dragic(Max or near Max contract).I prefer Rondo.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's the most important piece of information to come out this thread honestly. Looks exactly like the Harden situation. Suns don't want to overpay, whereas we don't mind taking that risk. For that kind of money, Dragic may be willing to rejoin the Rockets. Probably doesn't hurt that he would be part of a much better team here.

So I guess what's being discussed internally is: is a Howard/Harden/Dragic trio really worth going all in. Lock the salary cap for 3-4 years and only make minor additions.

Personally I think it's hard to imagine a better 3rd star on a championship team, if we think this past season was not a fluke. He is better than Wade, Ginobili, maybe Ibaka, etc. Maybe not Irving/Love, but still. His 20 points 50%FG/40%3PT) and 6 assists is nothing to sneeze at. I think with Ariza at the 3 and even our current crop of PF's at the 4, we could definitely go all the way with that. If we're able to snag a Brandon Bass using one of our younger PF's that would be even better.

Frankly, I don't think Dragic is worth more than $12m, but given our particular circumstances I wouldn't mind if we offered him a max or near max deal.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Then he can stick it to us all day, cap is going up, he's worth 16 per, get it done!

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't see Dragic giving a discount to any team.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which isn't quite the same as "what are you guys smoking? Gogi? Here?!"

Not if Morey's willing to pay.

Possible if unlikely.

10. Zbed

Zbed Member

Dragic shouldn't give anyone a discount, he played like a franchise point guard this past year and he proved that he can carry a scoring load. I wouldn't mind offering him near max....or even the max if we have to.

11. chandlerbang21

Need competent bigs before worrying about another point guard. Rockets gonna get killed in the paint this season

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Thanks for clarifying that Captain Obvious. I would have never put 2 and 2 together.

1 person likes this.
  13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

:grin:

14. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

So basically we are getting Dragic? Soon?

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all:

-Let's just factor in the market for starting PG's(or undersized scoring guards) at the moment & the going rate they are getting in the open market.
    -Then let's factor in how many teams need starting PG's
    -Then let's factor in what another year, wear and tear, and age will have on a guard's value in their late 20's.
    -Lastly lets factor in competition on the market (Going head to head with Rondo, Rubio, potentially Bledsoe, K. Walker, R. Jackson)

I'm not saying Goran ISN'T going to get a max offer, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the Rockets or any team for that matter will almost surely have to pay the max to get Dragic or a PG like Dragic next Summer.

I think just like this last year, the Rockets are going to have a list of their top free agents, and just work down the list.

Cap Space Situation:

Also keep in mind that right now at the projected cap, the Rockets probably only have 5 to 7 million in cap space. There is a possibility of a higher jump in the cap projections, and the Rockets could decline Papanikolaou's option/ shed some salary via trade, etc. to get more like 10 to 12 million in cap space but they aren't likely looking at anything close to the max unless the cap significantly jumps up (which it could).

Significant free agents that might, or might not be on the "List":

-Rondo
    -Paul Millsap
    -Jimmy Butler (R)
    -Faried (R)
    -Afflalo
    -D. West (P)
    -Deng
    -R. Jackson
    -T. Harris
    -Dragic
    -R. Gay
    Etc.

So long story short: The Summer of 2015 free agency is hardly JUST going to be about the Houston Rockets and Goran Dragic & them paying the max to him so he can "stick it" to them for doubting his talents a couple years ago. Also, I'll be willing to bet that most of Morey's moves made this Summer were really meant for a power play at the trade deadline this Dec to Feb more than they were to setup a free agency 2015 run. I think its more likely that next Summer is about retaining talent (Beverley & potentially newly acquired player/s) than it is about signing a new cornerstone in free agency.

#9675 dobro1229, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Paying full price for Dragic, a point guard that probably isn't top 10 at the position doesn't seem very Morey-like. Unless we land him without giving up many of our stashed assets.

17. gregas

gregas Member

There's absolutely no reason not to consider him top ten, most would put him in the top 5 right now, which isn't exactly strange considering he's coming fresh of an all-nba season.

Here's some relatively unbiased perspective for you:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1344500

18. champstocome

champstocome Member

Why can we over pay LIN but not dragic? Dragic is a 2 way player and would directly impact our offense in a postive way. Les, that old tard, is probably saying no cause euro stars arent as marketable.

19. Classic

Classic Member

3rd team all nba last season with low miles

If Parsons could get max so could Dragic.

20. King901

King901 Member

What in his statement says that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.