1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

yo! (from harlem with love)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by callmened, Sep 4, 2014.

1. callmened

callmened Member

Im a knicks fan who fell in love with Linsanity. After we foolishly let him go I ordered nba league pass to follow jeremy lin. And despite repeated nightmares from 1994, I fell in love with the rockets!!

Here are a couple questions/comments:
    - how do fan feel about losing parsons for ariza? Am I crazy in thinking its an upgrade. Outside shooting and better defense

- I love red bull beverly but hes not an nba starting pg. He breaks down too much due to his aggressive play. They would benefit adding some depth. Cannon and smith wont cut it. Im hearing they might get sessions

- their bench is horrible. Ive seen first hand that jet terry is awful. I dont know why they let a young role player (gee) go. Garcia is awful and injury prone. Papanikulau looks ok but who knows. Domo has talent but they dont feature him in the post. The rockets could use a blatche

- is it me or is mchale lacking as a coach? On offense the plan is give it to harden and see what happens. Looked like street ball at times

Thoughts?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ask cyberx

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Hey Ned welcome to Clutchfans!

Personally, I think if your looking at the dollar/performance-ratio on the "Parsons for Ariza" debacle, we did upgrade.

4. callmened

callmened Member

Who or what is cyberx? Sounds like a transformer

1 person likes this.
  5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

welcome to the forum Ned. I believe that this year, you will see the true potential with this current cast of Rockets who surround Harden and Howard. In regards to Mchale...Coaching is gonna be an issue, but the players and mgmt love Mchale as a person. Unless any of those things change, I doubt to see Mchale's tenure ending midseason.

Cyberx is a insider poster that provides the forum with "possible trade rumors and speculations" that the team is considering.

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

Is this a cryptic way of saying we are trading for Shumpert?

7. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We're tanking.

8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

new school rockets fans have some obsession with hating the mavericks because they beat us once in a playoff series, this is what makes losing chandler seem like it is more than what it is, he was really good on our team, i hope ariza will be more of a factor

but, you are right about beverly, he might not make it through a season uninjured

bench is also an issue, along with mchale, hopefully one of the assistants can show some promise and have this team make plays

the x-factor is how much can harden improve on defense, he definitely has the physical skills it's about how much he wants to improve, dwight showed improved post play last year too, maybe he takes another step

anyway, welcome to CF

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You reek of poverty

1 person likes this.
  10. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Bigtexxx is that you?

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Get ready for next season.

12. CertifiedTroll

Glad to see you stick, I personally wouldn't identify myself with Lin if I were you. Some bitter after tones still remain towards hardcore Lin fans that came and pillaged the board. But that being said:
    -Ariza is a solid player, I think it was a lateral move.
    -Nick Johnson may surprise with some PG play. But personally I think Bev is a capable starter.
    -Blatche is not a winning player.
    -You will find a ton of anti-McHale posters here, I however feel he is competent. He does a good job of getting our players to play up tempo. He however could do a better job maintaining Harden's effort on D.

13. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

- Yes, you're crazy
    - Yes, they'd benefit from adding depth...(who wouldnt)
    - Yes, we lost a ton of depth. Our bench is a lot of unproven people and the best you can do is hope for pleasant surprises from unproven players
    - Most ppl agree with you about mchale and his poor coaching

cheers

14. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

How do you feel about the current state of your Knicks right now?

15. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Welcome Ned. I spent years living in Brooklyn and Astoria and your post has me a little nostalgic for NYC.

I feel pretty much the same as you but I think alot of our success is going to depend on the evolution of our young players. If TJones, DMO, & PBev take a step forward I think we're going to be ok.

That applies as long as Howard, Harden, and Ariza perform close to the same level they did last year. If they improve then it's gravy but I'm not expecting it.

I was a fan of JLin as a person but as a player I think he's pretty easy to replace. Asik was out most of the season. It would be nice to have a reliable defender to back up DH and I'm not sold on Dorsey.

Anyway all and I'll I'm optimistic. Looking forward to the season to start.

I would also encourage you to join the Daryl Morey fan club because it will make you a smarter and happier person. You never have to feel disappointed or angry about the team. You can just blissfully close your eyes and know that all things are unfolding to his will.

Welcome to CF.

16. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I'm also a harlem guy, and well, go rockets!

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was not nightmares

That was the DREAM
    [​IMG]

18. bongman

bongman Member

Welcome to the board. Those are legit concerns that you have posted but just like anything, you can field a team that looks good on paper but if the chemistry is not there, you won't become successful. I guess we'll have a better feel for the team after 20 games into the regular season.

Cheers !

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Welcome to the site! In order:

1) People here are trying hard to convince themselves its an upgrade. It's a little delusional but has at least a little basis in reality. Ariza and Parsons pretty much posted the same PER last year; the defense and shooting of Ariza make him a great running mate for Harden. Conversely, with Beverley, Jones, and Ariza all incapable of creating much for themselves, and Howard not particularly inclined to create for others, a huge offensive burden falls on Harden and we might see the offense get bogged down at times. A great offensive coach could make it work. Not sure if we have a good enough system. I think it's a downgrade but under the circumstances it was a good recovery move from losing Parsons.

2) There's a difference between "top 15 point guard in the league" (which Bev isn't) and "great starting point guard on the Rockets" (I think he is). I maintain you can't do much better than a guy who knocks down threes, defends like hell, and doesn't whine about Harden's massive amount of touches. Also keep in mind that last season was all but Bev's rookie season as far as minutes played goes. Some point guards with a full rookie season with less win shares/min than 2014 Bev: John Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, Steph Curry, Chauncey Billups, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Tim Hardaway, Russell Westbrook, John Wall. Don't assume he's hit his ceiling yet just because he's a great defensive player. Point guards take time to develop as offensive players.

3) Gee didn't make an impact in any of his last 3 stops. He would have struggled to make the team anyways. In exchange we got an excellent salary-matching expiring contract which can be used to acquire more useful players; the glut of nonguaranteed contracts needed to be either traded or cut before the season started. However, the bench is indeed pretty wretched looking.

4) I'm trying to reach a peaceful place in regards to McHale since clearly he's here for the long term. I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the season by complaining about him from day 1. I'm kind of with you on this one though.

20. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

-Those who realize how import defense is to winning will say yes/maybe to the Ariza upgrade

-Yes, bev is not a starting pg. Some believe that Johnson will be able to play right away like Sam Cassell (remember him Mr 94). defense not offense

-Slow down on the bench, it looks bad now and the budget might match the actuals but for now lets wait and see. (business reference or as you would say, "bidnes" Mr yo!)

-statistics say otherwise on the Harden iso, the eye test seems to fail when looking at the Rockets offense......or is it offence?