1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. traveler

traveler Member

sa

They are shedding salary for someone in mind.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If they are using their TE's to accept our players then how does that create a new TE for them, since we are over the cap?

3. hehlol

hehlol Member

4. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

wow...
    i'd much rather take Jared Dudley's $4.25 million with a 1st rd. pick then:mad:

5. basketballholic

From Sac's perspective....

Gee into the Thomas trade exception.
    Powell into the Thornton trade exception.

$600K of Thomas trade exception left.
    Around $1.1 million of Thornton TPE left.

Terry is traded for no incoming salary..generating a $5.8 million TPE.

Sac generating a TPE has NOTHING to do with what we are doing or us being over the cap.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. bmd

bmd Member

8. basketballholic

Not necessarily. They are generating a new $5.8 million TPE. That TPE can be used for up to one year. Sac doesn't want to pay the tax. But they are over the cap. The TPE gives them some trade flexibility throughout the season just in case something comes up.

9. Icehouse

I'm still confused on how Sac can send one asset out, take stuff back into existing TEs and then create another TE. It seems like they get double credit for one asset. I thought a TE was for situations where salary didn't come back. Salary is coming back, but being absorbed elsewhere in your scenario. It just doesn't seem right that a team could trade a player, absorb returning salary info a TE and create another TE of the same anoint.

10. rogower

rogower Member

Thanks. It amazes me that there are so many people who fail to understand that we are trading for Terry's contract (plus the picks), not Terry himself. Terry is finished as a player.

Highly unlikely that Terry plays a single minute for the Rockets this season, even if he is on the fifteen man roster to begin the regular season. Which may happen. The goal here may be to eventually package Terry with Kostas Papanikolaou, the Pelicans first round pick, maybe Clint Capela, maybe one or more second rounders for one big name, big salary guy, e.g., Rajon Rondo. Or Houston will do as you suggest by trading Terry plus one or more second round picks for Ersan Ilyasova.

11. basketballholic

Terry might not ever even slip a Rockets uni on. There is an agreed to trade. Hasn't been executed. Terry could be pushed to a third team in the final trade without ever actually becoming a Rocket. I think it's probably 50/50 right now whether he actually becomes a Rocket. Remember, with Terry and Beverley essentially being a guaranteed contract (Bev is not getting cut), we essentially have 16 guaranteed contracts. So somebody with a guaranteed deal is going to have to be cut or either 2 guaranteed contracts are going to have to be traded for 1 guaranteed contracts.

This is obviously not the end of our summer transactions.

EDIT:
    One other sidenote......Scotty Hopson is a SG/SF that has NBA level talent. In looking at possible transactions I can't help but feel like he may be a possible fit in Milwaukee who..need help at SG desperately with OJ Mayo sucking out his contract.

Also don't be surprised if Sacramento is also willing to throw some cash in on this deal to get Terry out of town...perhaps $750,000 to $1.5 million to get the Rockets (or some other team to take him). That cash would help fulfill a requirement of a 3-team deal as well. MIL could then flip a non-guaranteed deal like Middleton or Wright back to Sac to make a nice little 3-team deal for Ilyasova.

#511 basketballholic, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. basketballholic

Read about TPE's at cbafaq.com

TPE's are created by unbalanced trades. Sacramento signed-and-traded Isaiah Thomas to PHX for no incoming salary. That created a $3.6 million TPE. They traded Marcus Thornton to Brooklyn several months ago for Terry and Reggie Evans. The salary difference between Thornton and Terry/Evans was around $2.4 million. So Sac created a $2.4 million TPE with that trade.

A TPE is simply an exception that allows Sacramento to take in salary independent of sending salary out.

Read up on TPE's.

13. Icehouse

He has two more years on his deal.

14. Icehouse

That makes sense. Since Sac took no salary back, it makes sense that they would receive a $3.6M TPE.

That makes sense, as they received a $2.4M TPE for the salary difference.

But in this case they are receiving salary back. It is just being absorbed into a existing TPE. So how can they use that TPE to absorb salary coming in and then create another TPE as if no salary came back in? Salary did come back in.

15. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Does anyone else think that Terry can actually help us in the post season due to playoff experience? I think so.

As much as I don't want him a Rocket, he can fill in that lack of "intellect and playoff experience" and "locker room leadership" that we don't have during the playoffs.

We lost against the Blazers purely due to lack of experience.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think that works because each part of the trade can be considered a separate trade.

17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

If Sacramento were to acquire Gee and the other non guaranteed contract, how would the Rockets acquire Terry? Since they are over the cap, they'd have to use the Lin trade exception to take on Terry. I don't see Morey throwing away that asset unnecessarily.

I think the deal will be completed in one transaction, so Sacramento won't be getting that pretty new TPE.

18. rogower

rogower Member

Oh, I did not realize the trade is not yet finalized. So yes, I agree with your analysis. Although I suspect Donatas Motiejunas may be included with Terry as the sweetener, and that Houston keeps these two second round picks for themselves, at least for the time being.

Another possibility that someone else hinted at is to trade Terry's expiring contract to a team with luxury tax issues for a somewhat larger expiring contract plus sweetener, e.g., Terry to Memphis for Tayshaun Prince + one second round pick. Prince could then get flipped for the sort of player you have suggested, or, as I am suggesting, with Motiejunas as sweetener, not any draft picks.

For example:

Nonguaranteed contracts (presumably Alonzo Gee, Scotty Hopson, and Josh Powell) to Sacramento;

Jason Terry to Memphis;

Tayshaun Prince and Donatas Motiejunas to Milwaukee;

Ersan Ilyasova and three second round picks (two from Sacramento, one from Memphis) to Houston

Even better would be to ship Prince, Motiejunas, and all three second round picks to Atlanta for Paul Millsap. Millsap hits unrestricted free agency in less than one year so Atlanta would have to seriously consider this offer. In this scenario, Houston is effectively trading Motiejunas for Millsap.

19. basketballholic

Salary came back and was absorbed by the 2 TPE's they already had. That leaves no net salary left while they send out Terry. It's a new $5.8 million TPE.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Sacramento is going to get a new TPE. Gee and Hopson or whoever still counts towards the cap. Their contracts are a reason we are over the cap. They are ungauranteed and can be cut anytime without having to pay the rest of the contract. We will still have Lin's TPE.