1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Member

Especially not at the price Minny probably wants. The NO pick and Johnson are too valuable to give up unless Morey is absolutely positively sure that the player is going to be part of the Big Three, and Rubio/Howard/Harden is not going to be a Championship core unless Rubio improves his shot.

2. basketballholic

A Rubio trade would probably include BOTH current talent AND future assets.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would not be very excited if we got Rubio. Dude just isn't very good, and had multiple seasons with Kevin Love and couldn't sniff a winning record.

4. basketballholic

Rubio and Harden would be the best backcourt in basketball the next 4-8 seasons.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Time to head for the nearest AA chapter, Basketballholic. You're seeing pink elephants.

6. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Rubio shot 33% on 3pt last season. With his playmaking abilites, and over 2 steal average he could be a star in our system. With the amount of 3's he would take, he could surely get over 35-37% which is all we need from our PG. He would also get Howard so many more lob opportunities than he had last season. With Rubios penetration abilities Howard could average 10 points a game just on lobs. Also he would be able to take a lot of the ball handling duties from Harden which will keep him fresher and will allow him to spend more energy on the defensive end. Rubio, Dragic, Bledsoe, and Rondo would all be great and would make us a way better team than last year. If we get the Ariza that played last year we are gonna be a lot better even without a new PG than most think. Lets hope in the next week we get some late offseason good news just like when we got Artest and Harden.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would throw up in my mouth if we got rubio. Yuck

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I honestly don't see how Rubio is anything more than a marginal upgrade from Lin.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Here's how I'd rank them:

1) Dragic - sure thing, or closest to it. Borderline star that can shoot, facilitate, drive, play defense, etc. We know he fits because he's proven he can play with ball dominant guards on two different teams.

2) Rubio - tons of upside. Well rounded game minus shooting. Could be an all-star, but hasn't proven he deserves that spotlight.

3) Bledsoe - athletic freak that can do it all. Injury history and relatively short period of excellent play gives him more risk.

4) rondo - most proven of the 4, but pattern of injuries is concerning.

10. baubo

baubo Member

Maybe a shooting expert can help me here given so many posters don't believe in Rubio's ability to improve his 3 point shot. Is Rubio fundamentally a worse shooter than someone like Lowry or Lin or Parsons that would prevent him from improving his shot? I remember Lowry shooting airballs when he first came to the team. Now he's a 37% 3pt shooter. Does Rubio's shooting motion disallow such an improvement?

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Rubios strengths are miles ahead of Lin's strengths. His weaknesses are more glaring.

I'd put it like this.....you don't pass on Dwight Howard for Mason Plumlee because Howard can't shoot free throws.

Take Rubio and try to refine both his shot and shot selection.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Rubio is a career 80% free throw shooter and 32% 3 point shooter.....very similar to Tony Parker's numbers.

The framework is there to be a decent shooter. Something about the way he's been coached or trained isn't matching his needs. A good organization like the Rockets will get that sorted out. They will help him emphasize what he's good at and deemphasize what he can't do while still helping him to improve his weaknesses.

Like with TJones....if you can't shoot, then don't. Doesn't mean you can't get better, but play within yourself and know where you are in your development.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think the difference between Rubio and Lin is much smaller than the difference between Dwight and Plumlee, but I see what you're saying.

I agree that Rubio is better, but I don't think he's a good fit on this team, and given the contract he's going to demand, I don't think Morey is going to give up assets just to have the right to overpay Rubio.

But I guess we shall see...

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Throw up in your mouth if we got a 24 year old elite passer, rebounder and defender at the PG position?

No Rubio can't score, but he's elite at everything else. You pair Rubio next to Harden who is an absolute elite scorer, give him a monster big like Howard to dish to, put a 40% 3 and D Ariza on the wing and Rubio's offensive short comings are minimalized.

"He can't shoot he can't shoot" arguments against Rondo and Rubio are ridiculous. If shootings is all that matters then we really should have signed Fredette to a max contract this off season.

15. NotChandlerParsons

I'm not even worried about Rubio's 3 point shot. Dude shoots worse than Austin Rivers at the rim. Forget guarding him out at the 3 point line, right now teams don't need to guard him in the paint.

16. rocketseagles07

The framework is there for half the league to be decent shooters that doesn't mean they are. Don't compare his number to TP when TP is an elite pick and role player and finisher. You keep talking about he has the potential to this and potential to do that but he DOESN'T DO IT and it's not like he's been in the league for a year or 2. Saying the framework is there is silly. It's the NBA, ALL of these guys are talented. It's not like a better organization can MAKE him better at what he sucks at. Good teams can take WHAT YOU'RE ALREADY GOOD AT and improve on your strengths. Not make you a player your not

17. rocketseagles07

exactly. He's a poor mans rondo. Rondo is twice the athlete and finisher thats the only reason why he can get away with what he does. The only thing to worry about as far as bledsoe is concerned is health(and that is a BIG worry). Bledsoe is better than him in every aspect of the game besides passing and when it comes to finishing/athleticism it's not even close

18. baubo

baubo Member

Was there a single Rockets PG who had the framework to shoot 3s coming in but failed to develop as a Rocket?

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Twolves have Young & Bennett at the 4 why would they trade Rubio for a package based around Dmo?
    That NO pick wont be good.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Your last point is stupid. It's not shooting only matters, it's that it's a huge piece of the pie.

With that said, I think Rubio would be fine here. If we could get his % up to about 35% from deep, he's more than competent. He'd make the unpredictable offense even more creative, be a huge asset defensively, and is a very good rebounder.

I'd be very pleased with him. He can totally turn into and develop a dependable stroke, it's not like guys that have such a stroke can do the other things such as playmake, defend, rebound at his level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.