1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Military State] Ferguson, MO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by percicles, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was literally asking for it and running at them with a knife....Pretty much just a case of suicide.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

doesn't explain NINE shots though.

Shoot him once, he is subdued, then capture him and jail him.

That's what the police are supposed to do

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Easy to say from the cheap seats, and there were 2 cops shooting so that's 4.5 rounds per cop. 3 is about what I'd expect so not significantly over that.

4. treeman

treeman Member

I am simply going to repost something I just wrote in another thread...

Regarding the dude who was brandishing a knife and moving aggressively towards the police, saying "Shoot me! Shoot Me! Kill me!"... You really don't get why they killed him?

Do you understand how quickly someone with a bladed weapon can charge you and attack you with that weapon? He was about 6-8 feet away when they dropped him; most training says anyone within 20 or so feet who is brandishing a knife is a lethal threat, because it takes less than a second to cover that distance and attack. The officer even stepped back to try and increase distance. Trust me, no court in the land is going go after those cops - they were completely justified in that shooting.

If you are coming at the cops with a lethal weapon - and a knife is very much a lethal weapon - and you ignore repeated warnings to drop the knife and stop - don;t be surprised if you get a few unwanted holes in your torso. The cops are not screwing around when dealing with someone who has a lethal weapon in their hand. And they are going to keep shooting until you are down - as they should. It's called "ending the threat", and has been discussed ad nauseam.

As for why they didn't use a taser - yes, almost every cop out there has a taser. But tasers are not always effective, especially with certain types of clothing. The hooks will not always penetrate some materials, and if the hooks don't lodge then you might as well be shooting spitballs at the guy. Also, it's a single-shot device; if you miss, that's it, and now you have to use valuable time going for your firearm - with a knife-wielding maniac a split second away. The taser is not the cure-all that people think it is. It is immensely useful in a fairly narrow range of situations, and it is a liability in others - particularly when the assailant is wielding a lethal weapon. As a general rule, you do not engage an assailant wielding a lethal weapon with a LTL option.

As a demonstration. Would you rather use pepper spray or a gun against someone coming at you with a knife? Pepper spray is great and all, but if he's coming at me with a lethal weapon then you bet your a$$ I am not taking any chances - I am putting him down...

As for shooting him 9 times:

You shoot until the threat is ended. It's not the movies, there is no shooting in the knee or shoulder - you aim for center mass - the upper torso where the vital organs are - and you keep shooting until the threat is gone.Very often it takes more than one hit to the vitals to stop someone; it is not unusual to hit someone repeatedly in the vital areas and have them keep coming at you. If you try to aim for a "wound" shot, you're going to miss. It happens ridiculously fast, and hitting a moving target in a short amount of time under great stress is extremely difficult.

If he goes down on his knees with no weapon in hand then you stop. If he is on the ground with no weapon in his hands you stop. If he stops and drops the weapon then you stop. As long as he is still coming and has a weapon in his hand, you keep shooting. You shoot to end the threat.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You don't know what you're talking about.

6. treeman

treeman Member

Wow! That must be an amazing video! He was killed 9 times? What, is he a freaking mutant cat superhero or something?!?

I know, I'm screwing with you...

7. rudan

rudan Member

Might as well. That poor cop in Ferguson had to shoot the crack head many times before the criminal stopped tearing up his face. When in doubt, keep shooting until the threat is eliminated :mad:

8. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Lol, how the hell was there no incident report written after a police officer killed someone on patrol? This is absurd.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, there isn't a clear picture of what happened at this point.

The only facts we know for sure are that an unarmed man was killed by a police officer.

There were reports the officer had the broken bones in his face, then it turns out that those reports are now being denied. Some witnesses swear that the victim did not charge the police officer, and supposedly there are witnesses that say he did.

Nothing has been solidified at this point that I've seen.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The only time I talk about MSNBC is to say that they are exactly the same as Fox, just with a left leaning bias rather than a right leaning bias.

If you listen to either, you are hearing lies on a daily basis. If you believe anything they broadcast, you are very likely to believe some things that just aren't true.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

this is why i watch the CW :cool:

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're thinking of the Miami Cannibal.

13. amaru

amaru Member

Can't believe some think that Cpt. Ron Johnson is a blood gang member...........lol smh

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Eh...

If he were unarmed and charged at the police then yes.
    But a knife?

That's a deadly weapon.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Im seeing on CNN that the Jury is 3 Blacks and 9 whites

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So, install cameras?

17. amaru

amaru Member

So what is the official charge and trial date?

18. rudan

rudan Member

Blacks will be upset that it isn't 12 blacks. They will also want a black judge........

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

We'll no one can accuse Oprah of not being entrepreneurial.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>On a special <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FixMyLife?src=hash">#FixMyLife</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/IyanlaVanzant">@IyanlaVanzant</a> meets with Police Chief &amp; Michael Brown’s uncle in Ferguson, Tues. 9 PM ET/PT <a href="http://t.co/YtiyKZx3b7">pic.twitter.com/YtiyKZx3b7</a></p>&mdash; OprahWinfrey Network (@OWNTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/OWNTV/statuses/502898133354172417">August 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#939 percicles, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It's posts like this that really make me shake my head...