1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cyberx News] Rockets among teams trying to trade for Bledsoe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Aug 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're not necessarily going to them with your hat in your hand. You are simply willing to offer Bledsoe more money than the Suns are. So their only other option is to let him play for the QO and either let him walk at the end of next year or hope for a better trade at the deadline.

2. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

Yes, we need the new thread. I hope there are other people on this board, like me, that don't have unlimited time during the day to sift through a super long thread looking for the good information. There is too much filler. I have a busy life. I appreciate the bullet point highlights of good information.

Thank you for the new thread. Do it more often please

1 person likes this.
  3. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

imo, even if Rockets went full r****d and offered Bledsoe a max contract, the Suns would still match. The only way to land him [as has been stated multiple times over] is via sign and trade. To convince the Suns to a sign&trade would require some combination of unattractive contract and a decent package which would most definitely include the NO pick [as has been previously stated multiple times over].

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I haven't really watched Bledsoe play much.

If we traded for him, what would he bring to the team as a day 1 starter?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Explosive athlete.

6. rocketseagles07

Think of a lesser Russell Westbrook. Athletic, defender, not the best shooter

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Pretty much this. He would be our Russell Westbrook. Smaller, but better shooter. Hopefully would defer to Harden more than Westbrook defers to Durant. He's already played with a ball dominant guard (Dragic), so you'd think that wouldn't be a problem.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Logical thinker you are sir!!

Morey better be rushing it. I'm assuming Morey sold Dwight on championship NOW. Waiting around for superstars to become FA's is not gonna make us a contender.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Court vision, defense, good athleticism, upside. He is young and getting better with experience.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Bledsoe's midrange game isn't that bad.
    Bledsoe is what Jeremy Lin should have been on this team, granted that if Bledsoe comes here he plays to the level I think he will play at.

Attacking, slashing guard than can hit the midrange/3 when necessary and can play solid defense all the while deferring to Harden but not completely neutering himself (like Lin and his spot-up game when he was here).

11. NotChandlerParsons

I don't think Bledsoe is anywhere near the offensive player Westbrook is but he is probably a better defender at this point. He's crazy long and can defend bigger guards.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

How do we offer him more money without going through PHX?

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

His nick name is Mini-LeBron. Go figure...

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Bledsoe has a better FG% and 3 point %. Westbrook is one of the top defensive PGs in the league.

15. rocketseagles07

He might but he's not a better shooter. Westbrook has improved that shot a lot especially that mid range jumper in transition that PISSES ME OFF so much

16. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Watching highlights on youtube of Bledsoe makes me think that Canaan could one day be just as good. They have the same build and their games look similar.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My point was, agents know how each GM (including Morey) works. That's their job, their livelihood. If they didn't, then they would be professionally incompetent.

A lot of posturing is orchestrated by agents. Most players aren't trained to be business smart. They rely on their agents to tell them what to do and what to say when it comes to trades, contracts, and free agency.

18. rocketseagles07

Not similar at all. Bledsoe is 2x the athlete he is and way more physical.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We would go through Phoenix. I think my original question got lost along the way, so let me rephrase.

Bledsoe has already turned down Phoenix's offer of 4/$48M. Assuming that Phoenix will absolutely go no higher, unless they work a sign-and-trade, they will be forced to have Bledsoe play for the QO this year and then lose him for nothing.

If Bledsoe were to agree to a max contract around 4/$56M with the Rockets and Phoenix wanted to go that route rather than lose Bledsoe at years's end, how could the Rockets make that SnT work?

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Personally, I'd risk offering Bledsoe a max contract for 3 years, with a team option for the 4th year. It's a risk, and sure I'd rather have Lowry and his deal or even maybe someone like Jeff Teague at his deal - not that Teague is better by any stretch, but better value, and stays healthy.

I know DM would be reluctant to do that 3rd year. But it's very hard to imagine Bledsoe becoming a worse player. The sole issue is his health.

So over 2 years he either stays healthy, or doesn't. If he doesn't you're looking at an expiring contract. And maybe no one wants a Eric Bledsoe who doesn't play in more than 50 games being paid $15 million a year on an expiring deal... not maybe, probably...especially since the Rockets will have likely run out of "sweetners" at that point....

... BUT the Chris Bosh swing and miss, in a sense, requires DM to take even more swings. If you're going to be a home run hitter... sure, you try and minimize strike-outs, but you've got to still go for that long-ball, because that's your value. You have a particularly bad year where your HR count is down and your strike-out count is up, of course you adjust.

So, I guess the adjustment here is looking at the total package. IF the Rockets could get Bledsoe, WITHOUT giving up Terrence Jones or the Pelicans pick, but giving Bledsoe a max deal greater than 2 years, I say you have to go for it. One might argue that the Suns would never do such a thing, but they are likely losing Bledsoe for nothing and there are at least some other interesting assets to send their way - DMo, Covington, Canaan, the next possible pick the Rockets could send + second rounders. Now if the Suns require more - the Pelicans pick or Terrence Jones, then I think you hold firm at 2 years, and have Bledsoe's agent keep working at the Suns to lower their ask and thus allow their client to get the longer term guarantee. If the Suns ask for TJ + the Pelicans pick, i think you just laugh and say no way.

The Rockets have enough contracts they could send back to satisfy the higher starting salary. Guys like Gee, Covington, Canaan, etc. Add Dmo. You can get there. the questions are (i) would the Suns try and play hard-ball and ask for more (TJ or Pelicans pick), and (ii) would DM offer a 4 year deal to Bledsoe. I think the answer to (i) is currently yes as the Suns still have the better leverage. yes, EB CAN sign the QO, but man I can't think of a player that should do it any less. The guy can't seem to put a full healthy season together. If he can't get to 50 or more games this year, ain't no way anyone is giving him more than that 4 year, $48 million deal next year. I think the answer to (ii) is currently no. DM wants to have more flexibility, especially in 2016. So both of those items are CURRENTLY working against the Rox. But as I noted above, if they both move in the right direction, there is a middle ground that can work. A 3 year, $45 million-ish type deal, with a team option for the 4th year, and with the Suns not getting either TJ or the Pelicans pick back. That should be workable for everyone, except the Suns really... but they might not have any choice at some point if Bledsoe truly is willing to risk signing that QO.

#220 JayZ750, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014