1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

While I agreed with the first half of your post, the second half is where I view the matter differently. I don't know if today is necessarily more jaded, and the past necessarily more warm and positive. That's some rose-colored glasses going on. Although I too bemoan many of the results of technology, I feel that overall for society, it has only gotten better. If people now require proof, I see that as a rebuke of ignorance, not the death of openness...

2. bmd

bmd Member

I agree. A lot of times I look up a lot of stuff I hear. Before the internet (especially on phones), I would have remained ignorant.

I can't tell you how many older people say things in conversations that just aren't true, but are generally accepted by their older generation. Myths, legends, old wives tales, etc.

They believe a lot of stuff that just isn't true. The younger generations look things up a LOT. So they are generally less likely to believe things they hear without verifying it first.

And this isn't a knock on older people (I'm talking like 50's and up)... they just didn't have the means to verify information like we have now.

Because it is so easy to verify information now, and because the internet has started different hoaxes, photoshopped pictures, and other hi jinx that people later learn to have been a ruse, it makes the younger generation skeptical of a lot of things.

1 person likes this.
  3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Would rep

4. Bob Barker 007

Even if a trade for a point guard goes through, it will most assuredly cost us Jones, which actually puts our roster in a worse position. Can someone explain how we deal with the PF position in the short-term if a trade happens?

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Plowman - I hope you're right. Been teasing my Arizona native coworker that they're going to trade us Dragic a second time:grin:

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

A lot of people remain or become ignorant because of the internet, as well. People love easy and fast. Nothing is easier or faster than believing what is on the internet, without bothering to research on your own. It's a double edged sword that affects anyone and at any age. There will always be another hoax or photoshop with a million "likes". Some people just don't learn.

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I imagine you'll disagree but I'm comfortable rolling with DMo and experimenting with a small ball lineup (stretch 4s).

Regardless if we do trade away one of our PFs (DMo or TJONES) I'm 100% positive Morey will have a deal in place for another PF.

8. bmd

bmd Member

That's true as well. I mean, there will always be ignorant people. I just feel that these days it's harder to perpetuate false information.

One example is that I hear from older people how much worse we are today in terms of crime and violence. When in actuality, crime is not much different from what it was when those people were young.

The difference is that now they hear about all of the problems from the multitude of information sources available today that they just didn't have when they were young.

So they were blissfully unaware.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

trade for Monroe... ;)

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The issue isn't skepticism, it's hostility. There's a level of grandiose douche baggery that only takes place on the internet in terms of how skepticism plays out. What also doesn't help, is that using the internet as first port of call for all info has allowed the media to think for people. You probably don't have enough fingers to count how many times a media opinion is quoted daily (hourly?) by people as a source.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't know about that. In my experience, those hoaxes and other hi jinx still get lots of young people.

12. bmd

bmd Member

Really young people, yeah.

There are a lot of kids on the internet.

But as they get older, they'll get more skeptical and won't get fooled by BS as easily.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

How many NBA fans think that Harden and Howard don't eat with their teammates?

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

As others have noted, I have to think Morey looks at the team and knows it is only literally a couple of players away from perennial championship contender. This was a team that swept the defending champs and played most playoff teams well. (I do not want to rehash the clusterfudge POR series which IMHO was a Murphy's Law perfect storm.)

Those two players:
    A starting PG (who is at least a plus defender)
    A stretch-4 PF who can be protected by Howard

I think the plan is to (1) acquire the PG first (as Plowman and others have noted) because it's easier plus it makes the most sense and
    (2) look for the stretch-4 (esp. around the trade deadline as teams feel eliminated from contention).

So I proffer this: (1) Acquire either Bledsoe or Dragic from the Suns and (2) trade for Millsap from ATL (if the Hawks realize no chance to beat the Cavs or Bulls) or Anderson (if the Pellies do not want to make him the highest paid backup in the league + back is healed).

I think headed into the playoffs our team will look like:
    Dragic or Bledsoe // Beverley
    Harden // Daniels // Johnson
    Ariza // Garcia
    Millsap or Anderson // Jones or Montiejunas // Capela
    Howard // Okafor (BAE) // Dorsey

I think that's a championship caliber squad + I think Morey can make it happen. #gorox

15. bmd

bmd Member

I think we deciphered pretty quickly that that was BS.

NBA fans on the internet will still use that to troll. But even they know it's BS.

That story never gained any traction at all.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to answer Bob directly, Teen Wolf. But you've done a nice job.

Now, let me add this...and I've said it a few times...

DMo is on his way to reaching his upside....inside game with those great post moves (and ability to see the floor and make the nice pass), and now bulking up/growing into his body/outside game - This kid is eventually going to stroke it from deep at say a 38% clip....Toss in that crazy Bigfoot court speed and the UNDERRATED DEFENSE which is only getting better and better. We've held onto him this long and now he's going to be the longterm answer at the four, along with occasionally sliding over to the five to spell Dwight. This year, I agree...He's going to need help as our window is now, but as the year goes on I believe it will be evident to folks that this boom or bust project is going to live up to his massive potential. Look, DMo's had the best big men coaches in the world working with him here and he's got great work ethic....and bigtime talent.
    He was the 20th pick and now at only 22-23, if he was drafted, DMo would be a top 5 -7 pick. The guy is on a different curve.

TJ, on the other hand was another very good pick, but he was more NBA ready coming ...going to show more initially, but with less upside.

Daryl has done a superb job in his tenure here, but specifically relating to this, it couldn't have been handled better.
    TJ will be dealt, for here and in GM circles there is the perception of more upside than most likely exists. THIS is the time to sell high and we're going to.

2 people like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey Plowman

It seems with your 10 day deadline that you got more confirmation from your source, can you specify on who you think is still most likely to become a rocket?

Is it still Dragic? Has it switched to Bledsoe? Or even Rondo/Rubio?

19. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

The problem today is misinformation can spread like wildfire if the information appears verified.

Look at vaccines and Autism, i bet there are quite a few people on this board who believe there is a link and dont vaccine because of it, and its a fairly reasonable assumption considering how credible the source appeared.

The guy who first proposed it was a scientist, he ran an experiment showing the link and got himself published. It was only later that he was found to be a fraud who had a conflict of interest and manipulated the data. By that time many news agencies had posted it on the internet and it circulated as a supposedly verified fact.

Studies now show there is absolutely no link between autism and vaccines, in fact its completely absurd but people still believe it because its still everywhere on the internet.

20. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.