1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I felt this way last season as it was happening, but 2013 Schaub was still better than Keenum. :eek:(

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And then our Superbowl hopes for this season will be DASHED!

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If we're going by numbers, Keenum actually put up slightly better stats than Schuab. But Matt gets the edge with 2 wins.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Whoa!!, drinking this early is not a good thing.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A case could be made for it. Schaub had a higher completion % and threw for more yards per game. And while Case had a higher passer rating, Schaub had a higher QBR. Most of Case's accomplishments came in his first 3 games when teams were playing him as if he were Schaub. After defenses adjusted, starting with the Oakland game, he threw 2 TDs and 6 INTs the rest of the season.

IMO, in those first 3 games he was clearly better than Schaub had been. In the next 5 he was somewhat worse. In the games he got pulled, he deserved to be pulled, and the ball moved better when Schaub came in though our Red Zone ineptitude continued. On the whole, they both sucked and it's really just a pick 'em trying to figure out who sucked less.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Also a case could be made that after the first three games the team went into tank mode and that coupled with Kubiaks desire to make the Schaub thing work and an oline like a sieve, well young Keenum never stood a chance. Im not so sure that the experience from last year didnt set him back this year.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't really think any QB would have looked good under the circumstances. QBing a team with no run game due to injuries, pretty much no O line, a fairly awful defense, and the worst special teams in the league is all that fun. Add to that the fact that the head coach was itching to pull him and put Schaub back in as soon as he got healthy and the fact that the team completely gave up and you have a recipe for the #1 pick.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly, the defensive game plan was to simply pin ears back and go after Keenum because Kubes couldnt adjust.

9. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/10-observations-day-16-texans-camp

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Some of that is on Keenum, because he had poor blitz recognition, and other general noob mistakes.

But yeah, he was basically told to win the Kentucky derby with a 3-legged donkey... after joining mid-race, no less.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Well he should have a lot of opportunity ahead. He should play most of game 4 since the starters usually only stay in for 1 quarter.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Fitz doesn't step up his game, I could see Keenum getting reps with the 1's in the 3rd game. I don't think BOB is going to stick with a QB that keeps turning the ball over.

13. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

I just want Keenum to have a chance with a determined squad for a full season.

Not have Keenum come and fill in for sloppy seconds as he did for Schaub.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Your name is fitting.

You like rooting for mediocre players don't you?

15. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

And that's the fact people overlook ALL THE TIME. What do you expect from the kid? To be Tom Brady right out of the gate? And especially with a terrible team.

It wasn't like the Texans were typically getting blown out either. Only teams like Denver & Indy shut them down. But Case did OK for a lot of the games.

...that is, given what he had to work with...

16. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Hahaha, I lost a bet and had to make this username. I have to use it for at least 10 years :(.

If I had the choice, I wouldn't use a players name for a username... that's too redundant!

But thanks for the hospitality of indirect caring... that means a lot! :p

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i still believe in fitz and attribute the struggles to learning the new offense. he put up some numbers in buffalo with much worse weapons around him. i believe fitz will improve as he gets more and more reps in this offense.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Keenam has as much exposure to the offense . . .. and is not a vet like Fitz
    So . . Fitz should be picking it up much faster than him right?
    but he is not . . .. . .

Rocket River

19. Remii

Remii Member

Garbage or Trash...???
    Fitzpatrick or Keenam...???
    What difference does it make when both of them are destined to be on the bench at some point during the season when Savage takes over.
    Those two are just seat warmers until he gets ready...

Remii

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL Classic GIF bwhahahaha