1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Being too stubborn to accept logic is far different than somebody actually not being able to refute you.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html

Yep.

04-05, 05-06 and 10-11 were the only 3 seasons.

Of course we cannot expect a basketballholic to know his facts correctly, from how coin flips work to Manu coming off the bench to having made a bet about leaving Clutchfans. Alcohol is not kind to basketball.

Other examples of basketballholics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. basketballholic

I'd really like to end the conversation about injuries. To be honest about it, the more we talk about it, the more squeemish I get about Harden blowing out a knee. I'd rather not deal with that any longer. It's like listening to fingernails screeching on a chalk board. I've already got concerns about Harden's body-type and style of play, how hard he goes offensively, all the bumps, grinds, and falls he takes. Harden takes an inordinate amount of punishment. I really don't want to dwell on him getting injured.

But needless to say....it is ridiculous to claim that the Pelies have a greater chance of major injury than the Rockets do and use that to say that we are a better team than them. It's not logical. There's no empirical evidence that they have a greater chance of major injury. It's irrational.

We had better hope that neither Harden nor Dwight go down. Because without a 3rd star and in the Western Conference...if one of those guys goes down...we're a lottery team.

4. basketballholic

Charlie there is no logic that proves that the Pelies have a higher probability of suffering major injury than do the Rockets.

5. basketballholic

Excuse me on Manu. He was 30 when he started coming off the bench. But then when he was 33 he started 79 of 80 games the year Parker went down.

That's a lot different than Goran coming off the bench at 28. And dare I say the Spurs had better players to replace Manu so he could come off the bench than the Rockets currently would have if they were to trade for Goran.

6. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

A predictive model?

No. Not unless you're a doctor and have access to the players' injury history and recovery process.

But teams use injury risks when assessing player's value all the time. And fans on a message board discuss those decisions.

No one in their right mind would look at no players vs houston players and think our main guys are more likely to be hurt than theirs.

8. basketballholic

Not true. They have one main player, one top 20 player. Anthony Davis. That's it. He's 20 years old and he hasn't played very many minutes and he's a big man.

We have 2 guys that are top 20 players. Not 1. And those guys have played a lot more minutes than Davis has. And one of them already has a major back problem. And the other one plays with reckless abandon on the offensive end, actually seeking out contact over and over again. Every time he goes down....I close my eyes and hope he gets up.

You'd have to be out of your right mind not to recognize the real risk of one of our 2 guys going down and think that it the odds favor Anthony Davis going down to one of Harden or Howard going down.

#7028 basketballholic, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

This reminds me of "you can't prove it's not true" for 'that' topic.

The issue here is you don't understand it and are vehemently denying that other people can't because you don't.

1 person likes this.
  10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Just when you thought this thread could not get any worse...

The Soooon cannot come Soooon enough. :(

11. basketballholic

No I do not understand how anybody can say that the Pelicans have a greater chance of major injury then the Rockets do next season. They are just guessing. They have no way of establishing those probabilities.

12. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Isn't that the point I was asking about? Having Beverley means that we can afford to bring Goran off the bench and have an effective player leading our bench crew. Makes sense to me. I'm just really concerned that Beverley isn't the guy you want leading the bench crew when Harden sits.

I would think if Dragic comes off the bench it would lead to more wins, the fit is much better.
    Now would Dragic welcome that? That remains to be seen.

13. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

History is a way for making predictions, in this case, medical history. Why couldn't NYK insure Amare's contract against injury? Medical history.

The injuries to the players for the Pelicans have worse injury history than the Rockets players. Pretty simple to me TBH but I'm happy for you to not understand.

One thing I do agree with you on, let's drop this topic, it's a little morbid and depressing thinking about possible injuries to Rockets players for any upcoming season.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Probably the same way most everyone here makes assertions on who the better players are......by educated opinions. Some opinions are more easily supported by stats.....but most every debate here is based on opinion and impossible to prove.

Just seems like most of the opinions of people discussing this issue with you aren't in agreement with yours. You're not convincing them and they aren't convincing you.

/discussion on injury probablilities

15. baubo

baubo Member

If we just ignore injuries, Rockets >> Pelicans. Hence, Rockets >> Pelicans.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Holic you are guessing as well sir. LOL Those players are very injury prone, so that is why some are saying they have a higher probability of getting inured verses Harden and Howard. Yes Harden and Howard could sustain some type of serious injury verses those very injury prone players of the Pelicans. Nobody knows, but we will surely find out here soon.

CyberX I disagree with you good sir, the Pelicans are not better than the Rockets.

17. basketballholic

I am not guessing on anything. I am not guessing that the Rockets have a higher probability of injury than the Pelies. I don't know that any more than any poster knows that the Pelies have a higher probability of injury than the Rockets. So...instead of guessing and making assumptions about future injuries we leave that out of our analysis of which team is going to be better next year.

I believe (I am guessing right here.) right now...the Rockets are the better team overall. Because of our experience. Because we have 2 premier players instead of 1. And because the Pelies perimeter players are simply not very good. This is all based on each team having it's core players healthy.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If we were to acquire Dragic he will immediately become our starting PG and Beverely will go back to being the energizing bunny off the bench. You don't bring a PG of that caliber to come off the bench. LOL

No he will not welcome that, he might as well staying in Phoenix and continuing on being an all star staring PG.

19. vick

vick Member

Please can we stop with the odds of injuries. This is the least of the troubles that the Rockets may have.Why don't you all just meet somewhere and fight and get this crap over with.

20. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I fully understand your argument.

However, if Vegas was providing odds on this, I can assure you the there would be a much better chance (according to what Vegas would say) of someone from New Orleans missing (let's say) 20 games or more as opposed to someone from Houston.

Eric Gordon would likely lead the list of players most likely.

Regardless, I can't believe ANY Rockets fans are arguing over injury probabilities, of all things.

That's the LAST thing I, as a Rocket fan, want to talk about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.