1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BSPN forecasts the Rockets to finish 8th in the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Dwight, Aug 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Haha ... Canaan is a better scorer then Lin, it's not even close, and Ariza produced on par with Parsons last year.

Not to mention with the addition of Dorsey, we now have a back up big who can finish at the rim with vicious dunks, instead of awkward missed layups like Asik would do last year.

What? It's a fair to say that they're better, that's plausible, but to say they're a top 4 ot 5 seed team is a tad bit ridiculous.

First of all, one good defensive player in their starting five, who's passed his prime in Tyson Chandler, doesn't boat well for them.

Secondly, when you look at their very likely rotation players, outside of Parsons (26) and Ellis (28), their team is old. I don't know if their "fast pace offense" is going to hold up with their old personnel.

2. bonny1

bonny1 Member

In any case, first round exit because mchale is still coaching

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Sarcasm?

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

look, i'm a huge rockets fan. never miss a game if i can help it. this is a realistic, unbiased, non morey **** riding prediction. right now we have joey dorsey backing up dwight howard. JOEY DORSEY!!

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm sorry, did you watch the rockets last season? How many layups did Asik, and Lin for that matter, missed? It was infuriating seeing a 7'1 center lay it up, being so close to the rim.

Look Asik was a beast on the defensive end, his rim protection and rebounding were top notch, but the guy was a poor finisher around the rim for someone his size. Specially last year!!

6. dantian

dantian Member

Mavs have a coach that alone makes them better. As for Rockets, whether it's 6th or 8th ranking in the regular season, McHale will make them one-and-out in playoffs.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lin and ASik for all their faults are actually proven to be capable NBA players no matter what u think of them.

Dorsey already flopped out the NBA and Cannan had 22 assist to 21 turnovers, they need to show they can play in NBA first

8. Redcfc1

Redcfc1 Member

Asik career 53.6 FG% , Dorsey 51.2 FG%. Seems like Asik is a better finisher?

Canaan 35.6% FG%, 40.6 2Pt% in NBA, 43.9 FG% in D-League vs Lin 44.6 FG% in the NBA.

Asik and Lin were proven starters on a playoff team 2 years ago, Dorsey and Canaan haven't even proven they're NBA players, not to mention the Greek rookie.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Unless Harden and/or Howard miss significant time, 50 wins is a lock and 5th seed AT LEAST is a near lock.

Rockets are the popular team to hate nowadays, we've seen the blatant disrespect from the media all summer, and I am not surprised at all here.

No way Rockets finish 6th or worse unless multiple rotation players miss significant time.

Remember: multiple rotation players missed quite a few games last season and we STILL had 54 wins and finished 4th.

Games missed by player:

Asik - 34 games
    Beverley - 26 games
    Harden - 9 games
    Howard - 11 games
    Jones - only 6 games
    Lin - 11 games
    Parsons - 8 games

Last season we were on pace to win about 57-58 games before Howard and Beverley went out for about 10 games at the tail end of the year.

We will be fine.

10. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

How is Canaan a better scorer than Lin?

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Can I say keeping McFail is the worst move in this bad offseason?
    Rockets can't control Parsons leave, but they really can control the stay of an idiot coach.
    This is why I feel so disappointed....

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I really do understand the pessimistic view a number of posters have here about our situation, but you have to see the other side of things. I know recently I have repeatedly cited Vegas odds, but I feel like I have to stress an outsiders view and that view from Vegas is that we are the 4th favorite to win the west.

Just using one sites odds it goes as follows for the west:

Spurs : 13/5
    Thunder : 16/5
    Clippers : 5/1
    Rockets : 10/1
    Warriors : 12/1
    Mavericks : 20/1
    Blazers : 20/1
    Grizzlies : 30/1
    Nuggets : 40/1
    Suns : 40/1
    Pelicans : 40/1
    Lakers : 50/1
    Wolves : 75/1
    Kings : 150/1
    Jazz : 150/1

13. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Vegas be smoking something if they think Rockets can even get out of the first round let alone a western conference appearance.

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

It's just funny to me that noone has any stats to back up team game/minutes played/player usage/etc... in order to make these lists... it's all about star power... I guess that's why the Spurs are always so underrated.

15. traveler

traveler Member

The Rockets are essentially the same team from last year. They will be an elite offensive team again but with more defense. We made the 4th seed last year and no reason they won't do so again.

Definitely a huge surge to the Mavs that is misplaced I think. The Mavs will be fighting for the 8th seed and that is because they have a great coach. Chandler can't bang in the western conference. They had a great chance at making their team better when Dirk gave up so much money and then they went and blew it on Parsons. Dallas screwed up this off season.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read this entire thread. And what I got from it is I'm going to bet a friend at work that offered on who will have a better season out of the mavs and rockets.

It will be a very interesting season.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If this isn't motivation for Harden and Dwight then I don't know what is...

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We may have lost players with name recall in Lin, Asik, Parsons but I think the players we have now fit better.

Last year we had an abysmal bench. We had to play our starters heavily because the bench kept losing leads for us in 2-5 min. I think this year our bench will give us better production.

Fingers crossed that we will be able to recruit a strong defensive coach.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The starters will be fine. Bench scoring will be our downfall

20. cebu

cebu Member

it's a safe guess, Daryl Morey is the king of Mediocrity.