1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Razsan

Razsan Member

Oh I get...cute internet pictures plus a derogatory remark. NOW I understand how this internet BBS thing works
    [​IMG]

2. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Great post SuperKev....could not agree more.

3. houactuar

houactuar Member

I doubt you would have to give a first a second and cash to trade players on our bench this year. So arguably our bench is better this year.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That is a big improvement. Glad I could help.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why...

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This thread is like herpes. :eek:

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Sigh...That isn't at all how it works.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lof germs

9. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

You have a valid point, our bench sucked last year. it was Lin, Asik and a bunch of horrible scrubs led by Omri Casspi. Losing our only two decent bench players has me concerned. Dorsey and Ish are fun players to have, but I would have rather Morey got us more proven bench players like Hawes and Thomas. Not so sure that the additions of Ariza and Adrian, combined with the losses of Parsons, Asik, & Lin have put us where we need to be to win a Championship.

10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It had everything to do with how well he was regarded. If he was regarded like above average PG's in the league other teams would have *easily taken him. Heck we were offering him in exchange for ***nothing in return. Instead it was nothing and we pay you $8M + 1st + a 2nd. Now as has been pointed out the 2nd is effectively a chance at a 2nd but still. It's 2 players, plus Lin, plus $8m for ... drum roll please... nothing.

11. SuperKev

Our bench players aren't regarded at all, not poorly or positively with the possible exceptions of Ish and Gee where the regard is somewhat negative. Generally 'no' regard is probably better than 'negative' regard. That said it is poor logic to try to peg their on-court production by what you think a team might offer you for them (or not offer for that matter). The only measure of a bench who have very few NBA games is how they perform on the court in real games. If some of them stink it up we'll have to pay somebody to take them too. The interesting thing is Lin didn't really stink it up he was just average. I think part of the issue trading him was the fact team management has to treat him with kid gloves because he has a highly sensitive fan base.

12. SuperKev

Uh we did include $8m cash and nothing in return literally offering it to anyone who would listen so no he was not traded easily. We had to sweeten the pot considerably.

13. okeezie

okeezie Member

Hawes and Thomas make about the same money as Lin and Asik. The point was to clear cap space. Otherwise they would have just kept Asik and Lin who at worst are equal to Thomas and Hawes.

14. sutton

sutton Member

What do you mean include 8m cash?

Lakers give Rockets some cash in Lin trade, not the other way around.

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Where in the world are you getting this "we did include $8M in cash" when under the CBA we can't even send out more than $3M in a year?

We did not include 8M in cash. We could not include 8M in cash even if we wanted to.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm so glad Jeremy Lin didn't get #17 when he was with the Rockets

#17 =
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wfhhBN9L8Sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mario Elie doesn't turn the other cheek

He gives the cheek the Kiss of Death

17. Razsan

Razsan Member

I think you might be mistaken on the details and we'll have to agree to disagree. Morey announced to the world that he was getting rid of assets to snare Chris Bosh. The other GM's reacted accordingly. And you have to remember, there weren't/aren't tons of teams looking for a PG, especially one with 8 Mill cap hit to absorb.

18. calcium

calcium Member

I did see this mentioned somewhere in one of the trade mags as well
    and mistakenly, propagated this mistake too.

I am guessing that it is the differential between the cap hit and the
    actual amounts paid out (including the deferred payments ie.
    the 3.3M per year for the first 2 years, as Lin was 'only' paid $5M).

Hmm... that doesnt work out to be $8M, does it.

Man, these pro ball players seem to be paid a lot. :)
    But I guess they havent got many years to make hay
    while the sun shines.

I googled it and found this in case anyone was interested.
    Average career length. 4.8 years.

The Average NBA Player Will Make A Lot More In His Career Than The Other Major Sports

"""
    The average NBA player will make $US24.7 million in his career. That is based on an average salary of $US5.2 million and an average career length of 4.8 years and is $US18.6 million more than the career earnings for the average NFL player ($6.1 million).
    """

19. SuperKev

Actually i agree with you on the mistaken information. It was reported that way in a couple of places. I still think my original thought that Lin wasn't regarded well enough to at least be accepted for no return salary without a couple of picks as sweeteners. It's good we didn't cover the balance that was outside of the cap hit externally.

20. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Disagree....while Hawes is not quite as good as Asik, Isiah Thomas is much better player than Lin (20ppg vs 12 ppg, same defense, and does not turn the ball over nearly as much). They both cost less then Asik and Lin this year and I can't believe Thomas signed with Phoenix for a paltry (NBA world only) 6 million dollars per year.