1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources close to Ramon Sessions: Ramon Sessions had discussions with Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2014.

1. izeroi

izeroi Member

I'd def be happy with this signing.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd rather sit in on some recording sessions with Jimi's ghost, purely as an observer, of course.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perhaps because DM and Les decided to go for minimum contracts first. On second thought, they probably realized they needed more help.

It remains to be seen, if Sessions wants to come here or not.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Would be a solid pickup, better than any backup PG we currently have.

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He would be a great addition... would add some much needed vet experience to our bench.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I had forgotten about sessions but he would be a great pickup,

He isn't a needle mover but he won't hurt you. Considering our alternatives, he would better. He is not the perfect fit, but as far as a bargain bin, serviceable player, he is cream of the crop. If you find a way to add him and Marion, I think we are better than last year.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Sessions addition would make us a better team than last year.

Sessions and Lin are about the same level players and you can expect similar production.
    Likewise Ariza and Parsons
    DMo and Dorsey for entire season would be Asik

Emergence of young players like TJ and Bev makes us better

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

We once had so many PFs lol

9. baubo

baubo Member

I would prefer Marion with our MLE, but I wouldn't mind this. He can certainly bring 80% of Lin's production at a much lower price.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This.

People should not assume that the Rockets signed Ish Smith to be a guaranteed rostered player as the 2nd or 3rd string PG.

Once the Rockets elected to operate over the cap this season, adding minimum-salaried players was no longer an impediment to more significant roster additions, since their other avenues to improve the roster (MLE, BAE, TPE, trades) would not be adversely affected by such signings. Ish Smith and Jeff Adrien were signed to one-year vet minimum deals, which have zero impact on 2015 cap room.

It may be that the Ish Smith signing was as much a "backstop" signing as anything else.

Lock the guy in to a cheap deal immediately to secure at least a fallback 3rd string PG.

See if there is anyone better out there to sign with the MLE or BAE or if a trade for a better PG emerges.

Worst case scenario, you have Ish Smith on the roster to play PG minutes for you if you don't yet trust both of Canaan and Johnson for this season.

Many here look at the Ish Smith signing as an indication that Les Alexander is cheap (an assertion that I continually find mind-bogglingly ignorant), whereas I view the Smith signing as quite the opposite. Les essentially paid $915,243 for "PG insurance" while his team looks for someone better.

11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I've always been a fan of his, I'd be really happy if the Rockets picked him up (that would make about 6 PGs on the roster though).

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I stopped reading after the article mentioned 32 teams in the NBA. Its hard to take a sports editor serious when he/she does not know how many teams are in the league. Especially when it takes less than a second to verify that information. That's a rookie mistake, and if you got the number of teams wrong in professional basketball, what else in your article is wrong too? It might seem like I am nick picking but mistakes like that can make a "professional writer" seem less than credible.

13. Fantasma Negro

Why not sign both?

14. Neped

Neped Member

Will Sessions be the starter?, because Beverley might not only be upset for not getting chosen for the USA team, but loosing his starting position as well in one season.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

With the possibility of acquiring Ramon Sessions, now i really i wish Chris Bosh decided to sign with us instead of staying in Miami. Then we would've matched Parsons and traded him for Kevin Love. After that, we could try and deal Dwight Howard to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay. I would also consider swapping James Harden for Derrick Favors and a future 1st rounder from Utah.

Just imagine a lineup consisting of..

Bosh
    Favors
    Gay
    Love
    Sessions

Rings!

3 people like this.
  16. baubo

baubo Member

Well, if Sessions won't cost more than the BAE, then sure. I just think he'll get more than that on the market.

17. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Sessions would be a great pickup. SHAUN MARION IS AN OLD HAS BEEN WITH AN UGLY SHOT, ALONG WITH MARCUS CAMBY. I am amazed that so many people continually bring up their names in this forum. Tracy McGrady is younger than both of them, that says enough. Guys nearing 40 should not be the direction we head and just takes away spots on the roster from more deserving talent such Canaan and Johnson.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Lin-Harden backcourt was bad on defense... I don't want to even imagine Sessions next to Harden.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This would make so much sense if Marion and Camby one day woke up being a foot shorter.

20. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I'd rather let Canaan earn the job. Sessions can run that second unit and take a lot of the playmaking responsibilities.

Without Lin and Parsons, we don't really have any playmakers outside of Harden so we need another guy that can run the P&R effectively. Canaan is more of a pure scorer PG. I'd rather see them fight it out.

1 person likes this.