1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

blood meridian: james franco's 30 minute test film

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

blood meridian is my favorite book. the first time i read it, when i finished the last page i immediately went back to page 1 and started reading again. been hearing about a potential movie for years so this is pretty cool. not sure if franco should be the one directing this, but im glad someone is trying to get it out there.

if you are unfamiliar, basically it is about a group of renegade/psychotic indian-hunting texans in the 1840's contracted out by mexican government to hunt and kill indians. its the most violent, f***ed up book ive read - there are numerous scenes that would simply be unfilmable. book was written by cormac mccarthy, who also wrote 'no country for old men' and 'the road'.

WARNING...super low-budget/home movie quality...this will probably only appeal to people who read the book and know this scene. its pretty cool to see it acted out if you read the book.

not sure about the dude playing the judge...he looks too young. i took the judge to be early 50's.

dylan mckay makes for a decent glanton though!
    [​IMG]

http://www.vice.com/read/james-fran...=1508823515996274&fb_action_types=og.comments

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That book is also top 10 for me all time. Great in every single way.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is a book that is largely un-filmable as a movie IMO, probably more so than any other. I figured the success of No Country would lead someone to try it though.

An HBO series on the other hand, that could work.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm currently reading the book for the first time. (don't know how it slipped past me all these years) I usually speed through books but this one is like a fine cigar. I just find myself lingering on pages and rereading passages. it's like western poetry. Magnificent.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It is probably my favorite book as well. I read it aloud sometimes, even just by myself, because the words are so beautiful. Kudos to Franco for the idea of putting a test together, but I think a movie would have to be wholly different.

First, you'd have to opt for something much more surreal and dream-like. as in the book, keep it in the kid's point of view as much as possible.

Second, the judge is absolutely critical. He cannot be an obviously so young an age, and he cannot have a southwestern accent. He needs to sound European or South American, etc.

Maybe the movie would benefit from a voice over narration, which I usually kind of despise, but Blood Meridian may need it, just for all the wonderful written language.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the more length you could have would help the book. so either about 5 hours worth of movie or i guess an hbo mini series.

might as well get as much of the book as possible in there.

7. Buck Turgidson

That's exactly what I hope for, if they ever do it.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be really cool to see a well done movie/mini-series of this book. I don't know how it could be done, but I kept picturing it when I read the book.

I applaud any sincere attempt to make it, though I know it can never be as great as the book is.

I also agree that the Judge seemed to be younger than I pictured him. I imagined him as 70's era Marlon Brando not unlike his Kurtz character from Apocalypse Now.

I think it would take those kinds of acting chops to pull off the role in all its glory and I don't know who could do it now.

9. B-Bob

And with... Harvey Keitel as... the Judge.

j/k

Having trouble figuring out who could do it. Heisenberg? William hurt with a shaved head?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe Gregory Peck

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think maybe Daniel Day Lewis could pull off the Judge if he put on some weight. He's pretty good in almost everything he does, and is fully committed to the characters he plays.

I haven't seen Johnny Depp play a judge type character but he has done well in a variety of roles. I guess he might be my second choice. Christian Bale might be an option as well.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

brando would have been great. i imagine a 6'6'' yul brynner (no homo) when im reading the book - the look and the voice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

has anyone else read/seen "all the pretty horses". the border trilogy is so good and i really liked the movie too. of all the mccarthy books turned into a film, i think that is my favorite.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I could see Brynner doing that part. That would have been fun to see.

Yes, I read the border trilogy. I wasn't so fond of the movie. I didn't hate it. I just thought that while a lot of the parts were there, they didn't add up to the greatness of the book. It was a case of the whole being way more than the sum of the parts that were in the book.

I loved the border trilogy as well. Fantastic books.

Possible slight spoiler about my feelings on one of the books.
    After reading the Crossing, I had to pause because I was so damned distraught and down.

#13 FranchiseBlade, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  14. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Good god no!!!!!! Has anyone seen his butchering of Faulkner's 'As i Lay Dying'?

Typical Palo Alto cat, not as smart, worldly or talented as they think they are.

15. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

I really think it would be better for all of us if James Franco just didn't do this. Thanks in advance.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

unless it's some way out psychedelic fantasy stuff i'd assume not unfilmable

[​IMG]

17. B-Bob

Yeah, that's pretty natural, as a reaction. The book is about the absolute end of an era, the crushing march of time and would-be progress.

I was just reading the end of that book the other day, just to find some of the writing about change.

"... the past was little more than a dream and its force in the world greatly exaggerated. For the world was made new each day and it was only men's clinging to its vanished husks that could make of that world one husk more."

#17 B-Bob, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014