1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 21, 2014.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The dumbest posts on this forum continue to come from the Les is cheap crowd. It's baseless and completely nonsensical. Is it just to post something negative because you're tired of saying Morey sucks?

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

What's so great about your post? What does it contribute - IF ANYTHING - to ANYTHING?

Go over to RealGM and comment there. Also, go home and get your shinebox ;)

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yeah, you may want to lay low around here for a while TRJ. You done pissed off the core of Clutch.

Damn newbies. :-(

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

We're probably getting trolled here because idiots are trolling the LOFs on Lakersground

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nice breakdown by Bima, and real nice extrapolation by basketballholic! repped~

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I liked TheFakeJames better.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

question bima.

i realise the TPE can not be packaged with other players salaries however by my knowledge most of the time multiple player trades and done separately instead of just 1 big trade.

so my question is could we do

Trade 1
    TPE
    for
    player x on another team

trade 2
    current rockets players and picks
    for
    anouther player X on same team.

or would it just be a case of the league would block it?

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Bima,

Unlike some idiots on this board, I appreciate the work you put in to keep us updated.

T_Man

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, the trade(s) you describe are legal and quite common.

Much appreciated. It's my fault for feeding the troll.

I strongly urge you all not to make the same mistake I made.

10. RememberSura

RememberSura Member

nice article bima, much easier than having to scroll through google finding out of date info

11. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

Is this a place to talk about rockets ball or kissing butt to clutchfans core? Is that what you like to do kiss butt to some internet people who aint going to do anything for you anyways?.. smh...

Im not here to anger anybody, if its my thoughts i can express them thats the power of the internet. IF they dont like me they can ban me. But its not like i really did anything to get banned... so be it.

12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If someone creates a post and you have no use for then move on. There's no need for you to tells us we can find all this info elsewhere and break it down ourselves. You come off sounding jealous to me. I like many CF enjoy Bima breaking it down for us in the manner he does.

Thanks AGAIN for crunching the numbers for us Bima, great read as always and I know you feel our love for your work here despite the random James.

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I do believe that many CF have been screaming Les is cheap over many issues in the past without any just cause. They now have some actual fire power because they think since Les didn't go over the cap to sign Parsons he doesn't want to win in order to save a few million in luxury tax. In their minds Parsons could have grown into the 3rd star and been worthy max player. It was a gamble. It is obvious now that the FO liked the odds of waiting for another player to put them over the top basketball wise and salary cap wise.

Without know what Morey see as the possible odds of actually having a shot at working out I am torn to say they should have signed Parsons. I honestly was wrong. I thought the FO loved them some CP25 and they would match no matter what then proving they were not cheap.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Your absolute worst case scenario fantasy is good and all, but it's impossible for us to lose Harden before Howard.

Other than that good effort.

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the information Bima. What I really enjoyed from your article was the last part.

I think fans in general are really having a hard time with how everything went down with the Bosh situation. As you pointed out, we're still in better shape then what we realize. My biggest concern right now is the lack of depth this team has. Whether everyone agrees with Morey or not, it does seem like he's hell bent on getting a third star.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hmm, I wonder why RealGM didn't tell him that...

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for another one of these (always illuminating) updates. for me, they always raise intriguing new questions, and provide at least some guidance, if not actual insight, into how DM is approaching things.

three questions about the Lin TPE: how is the TPE created, and why did the Lin trade create one, and the Asik trade did not? and, if used appropriately, is the TPE valuable enough that it's worth the #1 pick used in trading Lin?

1 person likes this.
  18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

The Asik trade did not create a TPE because we used it to acquire Ariza from Washington and Gee and Hopson from NOLA. We actually ended up taking in more salary than we sent out with the deal.

NOLA had to send those deals out in order to legally trade for Asik, but it'll be interesting to see if/how Morey uses these unguaranteed deals to make moves in September or later.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

(1) A trade exception is generated when an over-the-cap team trades out more salary than it receives. In the case of the Lin trade, the Rockets traded out Lin's $8.4M salary (into the Lakers' cap space) and received $0 in salary back. That $8.4M difference generated a trade exception in that amount. A trade exception cannot be "traded" like a player salary. It is just an isolated slot of available room to absorb future salaries, up to the amount of the trade exception (plus $100,000).

(2) The reason the Asik trade did not generate a trade exception was that it was a three-team trade in which the Rockets instead received Trevor Ariza (S&T from the Wizards) and the non-guaranteed contracts of Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson. Even if the Asik trade were not turned into a three-team deal involving Ariza, the most the Asik trade exception would have been is $5.4M (Asik's $8.4M salary minus Gee's $3M salary; Casspi for Hopson works as a side trade). And if the Ariza addition was not via S&T, the Rockets would have neeeded to open up cap room to acquire him and would have to waive ALL trade exceptions (including the Lin trade exception) to open up that room. The way the Asik trade was structured maximized the Rockets' avenues to improve their roster.

(3) It is unlikely that the trade exception was "worth" the first rounder thrown into the Lin trade. The primary objective (at the time) was clearing Lin's salary off the books to add Bosh (or other key roster additions), and the draft pick was the cost to accomplish this goal. The trade exception was simply a benefit that came out of this otherwise costly trade. BUT . . . if the Rockets could acquire a guy like Goran Dragic using the Lin trade exception, that would certainly remove the sting of the Lin trade.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Maybe if he paid attention to this more on RealGM he would have understood. I hear they have really good salary information over there.