1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

looks good. There is still hope!

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Though it is not at all a sexy move, I'd be OK with using the TPE to get Ersan. I don't think we'll be using it to get any stars so this would be a good use for it. He has 3 years left at ~$8 million per with the last year a team option.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You're telling me this mug ain't sexy?

[​IMG]

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh and good read Bima. Thanks for the information. Actual, real information is nice to have.

He's a hideous James Franco.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think the best case scenario as it looks now (for this season) is to use those non-guaranteed and a combination of the Garcia/Hamilton S&T's to go for Ilyasova or another decent PF on a short term deal, if possible.

Then hope and pray that the NOLA pick is looking good around midseason or the trade deadline and make a play for Dragic if he comes available, using the Lin TPE as incentive as well.

6. gqgeo

gqgeo Member

Good stuff!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

they would have to be two seperate transactions

9. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

In regards to the non guaranteed players not being trade able for a while, the rockets made that trade for Ron Artest a few weeks before it was finalized cause Donte Greene wasn't trade able yet due to signing his rookie contract. So something could still happen between now and then but it just wouldn't be finalized until that first day it's possible.

http://m.chron.com/sports/rockets/a...-join-Rockets-in-trade-with-Kings-1586201.php

10. basketballholic

Today, we could

1. trade Jones and Canaan to PHX for Goran (TPE) and Gerald Green ($3.5 million expiring)

2. Trade Jones, Canaan, Powell, Covington, and a re-signed Garcia ($4.4 million) and Hamilton ($2.1 million) for a freshly signed Eric Bledsoe on a near max deal to a max deal if we wanted to actually give him the max. And also take Gerald Green into part of Lin TPE (or not).

3. Send a bunch of the same pieces to Detroit and other places for a freshly signed Greg Monroe at the max or close to the max.

4. Send out TJones and Canaan to PHX and DMo and Pat Beverley to Detroit along with Powell, Covington, and a re-signed Garcia and Hamilton and take back Goran into the Lin TPE and Monroe by combining the outgoing salaries of the above players.

***** Some of these moves would likely involve draft pick considerations if they were actually agreed upon but all these move COULD be done immediately without having to deal with waiting for Gee and Hopson to hit the 60 day mark in September.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

So next year after a 50-32 record, getting the 8/7/6 seed. Houston gets pushed out of the playoffs by Team X in first round. Rockets will line them selfs up for next years july 1, 2015, for the love sweepstakes just to miss out and sign another player X.

That player X will do nothing signifcant and Houston will lose Harden on a player option, and Get pushed out of the playoffs by Team X in the first round, and then the next year strike out on another player X and lose Howard with his player option. Congrats.

Not to sound negative but i bet you Vegas odds this will happen. Then Houston rebuilds for another 4-5 years.

Now how about that Cap Space :rolleyes:

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks (even tho the TE was sufficient to acquire the player?).

13. rogower

rogower Member

Houston cannot package a player with the TPE. Can they package a draft pick (or picks) with the TPE?

Also, let's say that Houston is under the cap by $5 mil. Can they trade the $8 mil TPE with a draft pick (or picks) for a player with a $13 mil salary? [$8 mil + $5 mil = $13 mil.] If yes, then I am thinking that nobody is likely to make Boston an offer that is better than the New Orleans first rounder + the TPE. Especially since Rondo is surely going to sign with a team besides the Celtics when he is an unrestricted free agent next summer. The Celtics are TERRIBLE and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Another option (since you cannot package the TPE with other players) is to execute a three-way deal, wherein Ersan Ilyasova is traded to Houston for the TPE and maybe a second round pick, and for Ilyasova to then get flipped with $5 mil worth of non-guaranteed contracts (Alonzo Gee + Josh Powell + Scotty Hopson) and the New Orleans pick to Boston for Rajon Rondo. Any reason why Houston can't do this? This seems doable under the CBA.

I suspect Danny Ainge knows Rondo badly wants out, and that this is a big part of the reasoning behind the selection of Marcus Smart in the draft last month. And that Rondo is not groaning publicly, so as to not diminish his trade value. Although this is admittedly speculation on my part, based on the evidence that is being presented to me. Surely the most obvious destination for Rondo is Houston. Most playoff contenders are already set at PG.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Les Alexander was one Chris Bosh signature away from cutting some serious luxury tax checks over the next few years. If anything, it could be that Morey had to talk Les OUT of matching the offer sheet on Parsons (an organizational favorite). I've got no blame for Les Alexander here.

There are certain situations in which using cap room might be advantageous. It's just that those situations have not yet presented themselves and may never do so.

Yes. If signed to the typical 120% of rookie scale, Capela would be making a salary of $1.19 million this season. He can be traded starting 30 days after signing.

Yes, as a separate trade. But that would be pretty easy to do. A non-guaranteed minimum contract or two can match on Jones or most other Rockets salaries. (Also, in the case of Phoenix, the Suns are way below the cap, so the Rockets could trade Jones into their cap space without matching salaries on that end.)

How about you go **** yourself.

No, they cannot combine a trade exception with cap space. Also, in order to get the cap space in the first place, the team would have to WAIVE the trade exception. If they had enough cap room even with the trade exception on the books, then they would just waive the exception and gain that much more in cap room.

Yes, they can combine a draft pick with a trade exception, since a draft pick counts $0 for trade purposes.

2 people like this.
  15. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Bima Bima Bima!!!

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd take option #2 or #1 please. :grin:

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Yeah, I hardly ever comment on here... content just lurking and reading (and laughing).

But seriously, I want to co-sign your comment Bima!

F*** that jerk :rolleyes:

Also, thanks for your cap stuff and your twitter feed !

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Seriously, why are you even on this thread?

19. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

I just wanted to give you a briefing of morey reality. :L

You don't have to hate on me... I had to break it down like crackerjacks pie.:grin:

20. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

I dont understand whats so great about calculating some numbers you can see on realgm salaries or any other website about nba salaries and what it apply to cap rules, and comparing to the rockets salary cap. So what Bima thung can use a calculator. Wow

If we want to find out where the rockets stand cap wise, we goto real gm team salaries add all the monies up, and see how much we can or cant go over the cap. Is there a cap hold on a player X, then i would need to look that up and see how that applies to anything thats really important to anyones life anyways.... Im sure the beer sales could cover james harden contract alone.