1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jdjd

jdjd Member

After Lin's two f**k up's in the playoffs that cost us TWO games he had to go. I consider the first round pick to give him away a small price to get rid of his non production and $15m price tag.

2. sabesque

sabesque Member

Maybe there's a need for an "I want to complain about the offseason, here's why" thread.

Would love some sort of negativity catch-all to help with those of us who are ready to move on.

3. Nero

Nero Member

IBTBH

..in before the ban-hammer!..

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I honestly think it was a bad trade. I know Lin was on his way out no matter what because of fit and his frustration with the team, but we could of done better.

Once Parsons, Hayward signed to the max, Hill and Frye for 8-9 million, Meeks for 6-7 million...Lin automatically went from a overpayed contract to a market value contract. Guaranteed Lin would get 7-8 mill per if he was a free agent this off season. So trading a market value contract player with our 2015 first is a bad move. Bad move, but I understand the move because of the position Morey was in with Bosh.

1 person likes this.
  5. jk103

jk103 Member

By all third party accounts, as in everyone NOT from the Rockets camp, Bosh was never nearly as committed to the Rockets as Morey would have you believe. Lin had negative value, true, but the thing is that negative value resets to 0 if we'd have just waited out the 1 year left on his contract. We traded a 1st and 2nd round draft pick for a TPE, which is a terrible deal no matter how you look at it.

Even MOREY agrees that the trade was a mistake, and that he wouldn't have gone through with it if he'd have known Bosh was staying in Miami. We do still have the TPE, so maybe something can be salvaged from the situation, but as it stands it was a bad deal, plain and simple.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

When did Morey agree that the trade was a mistake? Also, the 2nd we lost is protected in such a way to be valueless, so it was just the 1st we lost -- so, let's call a spade a spade on that. We lost a 1st to dump Lin and received a TPE in return. Also I think losing Lin is addition by subtraction (in that the team is better on the court this season without him).

Even if you disagree the trade was a net positive value, and you think it was an overall negative, we are not talking about an egregious trade, but a minor set back -- which I think was a fine ante to put into the poker game that was the Rockets pursuit of Bosh.

You can't lose what you don't put in the pot -- but you can't win it either.

7. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Lin is not good at basketball.

8. paymon

paymon Member

Thank you to Houston fans, media, Rockets staff, coaches and teammates for the last 2 years! Sad it never went, or ended, the way I had envisioned it to, but God always has a perfect plan and I'll forever cherish that chapter of my life. Im SO blessed to join the Lakers and cant wait to get started!!! #purpleandgold #calikid

Daaaaaaaaaaaang

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What did you want in return? The point was to clear cap room. You can't bring back players on deals and they aren't going to give you picks for absorbing Lin's contract. We got what we needed.

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

That stuff never works if you don't find a proper replacement. Ish Smith and Canaan to replace Lin's role? Good luck. What we going to see more are Harden ISO and Howard post ups. McHale has no idea how to run a team, he just keeps on overplaying starters till they are injured.

1 person likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nope, $8.3mm for Lin is still overpaying. He's a combo guard. You can't compare him to forwards. Meeks is a fair comparison, but Meeks is going to make 6.5mm/year, and last year, he played much better than Lin.

Devin Harris signed for about 4mm/year.
    DJ Augustin signed for 3mm/year.
    Greivis Vasquez signed for 6.5mm/year.
    Mario Chalmers signed for 4.2mm/year.
    Shaun Livingston signed for 5.5mm/year.
    Avery Bradley signed for 8mm/year.
    Isaiah Thomas signed for 6.7mm/year.
    Patty Mills signed for 4.3mm/year.

Looking at these recently signed players, do you still think Lin's 8.3mm salary is "market value"?

12. AvgJoe

Why do we need the cap room if Bosh doesn't choose to sign with us? Lin's value will keep on increasing till Trade deadline. We should be able to move him with just a 2nd rounder. Giving up 1st rounder just to ship him out makes no sense without Bosh. It was a mistake made by Morey. He bet on Bosh and got played.

13. AvgJoe

jarrett jack signed for 6.3 mil/year age 30
    jose calderon signed for 7.1mil/year age 32

Do you not know them or just ignored them?

Lin is definitely overpaid for his performance on the Rockets. Morey signed him for his up-side, which didn't pan out. He was offered that money to leave NY, just as Parsons is overpaid so Rockets don't match. But nevertheless, it is "market value".

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

15. Nook

Nook Member

This thread sucks

The OP sucks

16. paymon

paymon Member

That can't be right, I can't find anything that confirms we also sent the LA Lakers $8m in this trade. Where did you get that from?

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We were not getting more than what we got for Lin.

Teams know him for what he is now. An average backup PG at best.

18. dookiester

dookiester Member

There are actually several posters who are saying they hated Jeremy Lin so much that they don't care how bad the trade is as long as he's gone. No one is calling them out on this. Are we going to sit here and pretend that from a basketball stance that this kind of post isn't as moronic as anything any LOF has posted?

Lin is gone and his fans have deserted the forum, but the average IQ demonstrated in the posts here has not increased with their departure. The OP had a valid point. He did NOT say that Jeremy Lin shouldn't have been traded. He said the terms of the trade were horrible for Houston in light of Bosh not coming. Whether he's right is up for debate, but his position is certainly not idiotic or grounds for being banned as half the posters in here are clamoring for.

2 people like this.
  19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I ignored them b/c they weren't signed this offseason. They're irrelevant to ThatBoyNick's argument.

So he's both "overpaid" and at "market value"? :rolleyes:

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I'm more disgusted not in the trade but how the Rockets used Lin's #7 without informing him first when recruiting Melo.

Just rotten to any player. Great move Morey.

1 person likes this.