1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I also think we have to keep as many active players as possible. I don't v mind giving up the pelicans pick while keeping Beverley. Dragic Harden lineup still doesn't work well defensively. Dragic in Ginobili's role would be perfect.
    Tjones, Pelicans pick, 2nd round pick. take it or leave it. Maybe Capela will be involved too and maybe he can substitute for the Pelicans pick.

Drasgic is a great player, but PG on expiring contract doesn't have that much value. I think he has around the same value or a little not more value than Deng last year.
    I just think the Suns has to trade high now if they want to or he willing to pay Dragic around 12M a year next year.

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

And BTW, we will be worse this year unless we can get a real PG or some other kind of playmaker. Without Parsons, what happens when Harden goes to the bench or gets trapped? Need another shot creator really bad.

3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

umm... I don't know what Bledsoe's max is, but let say it's 9999 million a year. Let say X team has 9999 million in cap space and decide to throw that at Bledsoe. The Suns can match it. No big deal.

Although there aren't many teams that both have a lot of cap space AND are in need of a point guard so many won't throw a max at Bledsoe which means he won't get a lot.

Isaiah Thomas signed to a 4 year 27 million contract which means about 6.75 a year. Not a big contract. and actually... a pretty damn good back up plan if Dragic for some reason decides to leave the Suns organization that has been REALLY good to him.

btw let's call a guy who made all nba 3rd team a complimentary player lol.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

did u even watch the games? Marc Gasol i believe missed the 1st 2 games (which we won)

wouldve lost all 4 with him in the lineup

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

What's your point regarding Bledsoe? No one can offer him more than a starting salary of $14.7. And I don't disagree that they would probably match any offer for him, as worst case he could only sign a max 4 year deal with another team.

I wasn't referring to Dragic as a complimentary player......i was analyzing their situation without him because he is very likely gone next summer.

The organization that has been REALLY good to him?? You mean the one that traded him and a 1st for Aaron Brooks, and are now significantly underpaying him? That organization? Houston was just as good, if not better to Dragic. We gave him the opportunity to start and excel.

6. solodolo

solodolo Member

Parsons a shot creator ? Nope I don't remember I just remember him doing ISO and that was an ugly thing . If faking you're shot every chance.you get its a shot creator I guess that's the only thing he did and pull up threes

7. Nook

Nook Member

It is a big deal when you are losing cap space and have an owner that will not pay the tax.

It only takes one, look at Chandler Parsons.

Again, nearly 7 million dollars a year is a lot for a bench player on a team that will have a number of players to resign. Also, it isn't just Thomas... after this season they will have to give Dragic at a minimum 13 million a year, on top of the 12 million a year they already offered Bledsoe and the 7 million for Thomas and 2.5 for Ennis.

That is 35 million dollars for 2 positions, with a cap of 63 million. That means they have 28 million to sign 3 starters and a total of 8 roster spots.

Also the Suns have been "really good to him". How so? By trading him? He was going to resign with Houston until the Suns offered a players option and the Rockets wouldn't. Dragic has already showed it is about the money once.

He is a complementary player compared to Harden and Howard. He is an all star type player, but he is not in the next tier of players. Personally I think that he is good enough to be a 3rd star on an elite team, but I don't think he can be the best or second best player on an elite team.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

We destroyed the Spurs last year. Unless their defense improves exponentially, they will remain behind us... um... er... never mind.

Regular season matchups against particular teams aren't definitive of overall team strength.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

1. Cool. Someone offers Bledsoe so they match. He stays in Phoenix

2. Bird rights. Look it up.

3. He went back to Phoenix rather than staying here. Think about it. He likes it there.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) A quality backup is important at the guard spot, do you agree?
    2) Investing $35 million in your starting 1 and 2 and your backup 1 doesn't seem that crazy, particularly when in the same vein the suggestion is the Rockets add a $13-$15 million player at the 1 alongside Harden.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Deng is a good comparison. Similar age. I'd consider Goran a little better, but he's at a position with a lot of depth. There are much less wings like Deng than there are PGs like Dragic.

I agree that Dragic will be in the $10-12 million range. If we can get his bird rights, then we could throw a 5 year $50-60 million contract at him.

One thing to keep in mind.....if we trade for Goran, we will be paying Dragic + Ariza about $16 million total this year vs the $15 we could have paid Parsons....

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, yes I watched the games. That's why statements like "Memphis destroyed us last year" make me laugh.

If that was destroying, the Spurs must be shaking in their boots thinking about what we did to them last year.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't agree with those who argue that Dragic is out of reach as a trade target. PHX might not end up trading him and some other teams may turn up and outbid HOU, but the Rockets have a realistic shot at him at least.

First, PHX's GM, Ryan McDonough, came from the Boston Celtics like Daryl Morey. Like Morey and Danny Ainge, he is an asset collector/trader who is willing to trade a current asset for future assets if doing so increases the team's chances of being a title contending team.

Given that PHX is looking like a "good, but not contender" team, we should not be surprised if McDonough keeps turning over parts of his roster, even trading his best players, in order to renew the value of his assets until he finally has enough to build a contender.

Second, w/ Dragic heading into unrestricted free agency, PHX really should consider trading him if they are not going to become a contender this year. Dragic can leave on a whim, and if he stays it's going to require a substantial contract.

Many of the potential Dragic suitors may also say "We love him, but we can wait a summer to pursue him if the trade price is too high."

Third, that NOP pick is more valuable than some may think.

Structurally, it is similar to the Toronto pick that the Rockets got and flipped to OKC. That pick landed Toronto Kyle Lowry, a very good PG like Dragic. Perhaps Lowry didn't have as good a season in 2011-12 as Dragic did last year, but he was very good and had 2 more years left on his MLE contract as opposed to the 1 year that Dragic has left now. That pick was also the center piece in Houston's acquisition of James Harden.

The best part of it is that it isn't the Rockets' pick, so trading a good player to the Rockets doesn't degrade the value of that pick at all. It is a good tool to have in trading for a star.

There may be teams that have more to trade than the Rockets do, but which of them wants Dragic and which of them is willing to pay a high price when Dragic can leave at the end of the season?

What are some of the other realistic Dragic trade partners?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Do you know how Bird rights work? Are you familiar with the Suns ownership group?

He went to Phoenix because they offered him a player option, otherwise he would be in Houston.

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

1. I don't know how close they are to the tax, but I don't they're anywhere close. I may be wrong though.

2. Chandler Parsons is over paid at 15 million. Bledsoe at 15 million isn't much of an over pay, and I really doubt he will get the max because someone would have already done it. He'll go for less.

3. 2016. Salary cap increase.

4. Ok, you're right.

16. boiler

boiler Member

I thought the player option was just a propaganda and Les wanted Lin?

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Y'all gotta relax man! We replaced Parsons with a better shooter/defender, and we lost two players on a bad bench... That's not that bad! We should still be in the 3-5 seed range. Better than Dallas, better tha GSW, toss up with Mem and Por I think.

We are gonna make more moves, so just chill. Stop worrying about of we make the playoffs. We are absolutely still gonna make the playoffs. Try to remind yourself that we still have the best SG and C in the league.

18. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Exactly. PHX was a money decision for him. He'd be making $7M for two more years if it wasn't for that player option. Now he can opt out and get a big ol' payday and a multi-year contract at the age of 28.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

1. Yes. He would stay in PHX, unless someone offers a decent package for him.

2. I'm fully aware of how bird rights work. Are you?

3. He went back to PHX because they gave him a player option........we wouldn't. That simple.

20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

ok, so I'm probably(I am) misinformed on birds rights. My bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.