1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHAMPIONSHIP: How far away are we *now* 7/18/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 18, 2014.

1. rockets13champs

I wouldnt count out 2016, or 2017

2. rockets13champs

We are still better than mavs, grizzlies, warriors.
    We are 5th seed material. If our teams develops good chemistry and defense we might be better than portland

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well we sure as hell aren't close...

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'd put us in the 04-05' range, which is nowhere close..

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. Current lineup gets us around 55 wins.

6. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

See we don't have that time. That is why some of the posters are upset. It is like we have thrown the 2014-2015 season away.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You're getting a little too excited about WS. It's basically saying Parsons and Ariza are as important to winning as Dwight.

8. Centerville

Centerville Member

Quite far away. We have two stars and nothing else. We got 73 games out of Harden and 71 games out of Howard. If either of them misses an extended stretch, the Rockets could easily miss the playoffs because the team has no depth.

Many on ClutchFans are putting a lot of faith in Ariza, who was league-average last year and below average the four years before that. If he regresses to his career production, we have two stars and three backups in the starting lineup and absolutely no proven talent on the bench. If this turns out to be the case, it should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

This looks like a roster assembled quickly from scraps on a hope and a prayer...because that's essentially what it is. And it's still coached by Kevin McHale.

This might not be so gloomy if the Rockets played in a weak conference. They don't.

The team with Bosh and Parsons wasn't guaranteed anything. The Rockets would still need to build a bench with something other than D-leaguers and never-weres. And they would still need a coach. But they would have been on the brink. As it stands now, they've taken major steps back from where they were at the beginning of last year.

9. BinBinRingRing

The current roster we would not have beaten last year's Blazers.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The people who don't think they can win it or that they are close are the Choke City people. They have 2 of the best players at their respective positions. JVG thinks they can do it and he has a way higher basketball IQ then you do.

11. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

So you really think that we are one win better with loss of quality and depth to our bench? Our bench is atrocious right now. They don't have much experience, no depth at pg, lack of quality at the 4 spot, and replaced asik with someone who hasn't been in the league in 3 years. Yet, somehow that gains us 55 wins. I am not buying it. We have signed people this year that barely cracked rotations of teams that didn't make the playoffs. I am very worried about our bench

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure we are better than the Warriors or the Grizzlies.

13. bmd

bmd Member

The starting line-up is virtually the same... and whatever you subtracted with Ariza you can add his improved defense compared to Parsons.

Starting line-up will be fine.

14. Centerville

Centerville Member

Actually, in my experience, it's the overly emotional homers who are the first onto the ledge when a team fails to meet their unrealistic expectations.

15. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

No offense but he also said we would win it all last year, and what happened to his prediction?!?! That's right, we lost in the first round. Just because you are an NBA analyst or have coached does not mean you can be wrong or biased. Lastly, JVG said that about our roster last year, not with this current roster we have.

PS: not a choke city person at all. In fact I watched every playoff game that year knowing we would still beat the suns. Just because I don't like the signings we have made besides Ariza doesn't mean I am routing against them. I just feel we have taken a step backwards, but I still bleed rockets red

16. bmd

bmd Member

Ok, let me talk you down.

Remember when Asik missed all of those games? The Rockets still did fine. They were playing with a skinny young PF in D-Mo in the backup center role. And it worked fine.

I don't know if you remember, but the bench sucked last year too. Hamilton, Garcia, Casspi, etc.

Then you got Lin. He's really the only bench player that had a big impact. And even he was questionable at times...

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meh, Could be worse. You could have McHale as your GM.

18. boiler

boiler Member

OK would the current lineup beat the last year's lineup?

19. bmd

bmd Member

Record with Asik from 2/8 to end of season:

22-11

Record without Asik from 12/4 to 2/5:

20-12

Very similar.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

We are one elite player away.

According to Morey.