1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Parsons "Mistake"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Daryl Morey let Chandler Parsons out of a 1 year deal for approximately $1 million to enter RFA this season. We all know how it played out. What is interesting is the response to the decision. It is basically labeled a "mistake" universally now with everyone trying to rationalize why Morey would make such a boneheaded move. It MUST be the evil agent using Dwight Leverage!

In fact, here is what our very own Clutch has said:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Shocked. Letting Chandler Parsons out of his contract a year early will go down as an all-time blunder. <a href="http://t.co/EcyemFxLEu">http://t.co/EcyemFxLEu</a></p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488447919511437312">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BurkosBox">@BurkosBox</a> Definitely overpaid, but didn't need to make him a free agent.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488449755270221825">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonDiehards">@HoustonDiehards</a> I don't mean match that deal. I mean keep him (pick up option) and trade him. Don't understand (yet) why he was made RFA.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488909977940398080">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>In fact, that was Rockets' big mistake: They should have treated Parsons and his contract MORE like an asset. They let him get paid sooner.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/489122387242549249">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

And in response to Morey's "Have to be the one to find Chandler Parsons not pay Chandler Parsons the max" comment:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Definitely, but you also have to be the one to not let the Chandler Parsons out of a 1-yr, $1M deal. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JakeisGlass">@JakeisGlass</a>: he's got a great point</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488678132803985408">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

I think those tweets sum of what many on this board feel. It was an absolute mistake to let Parsons out of his contract, there was no good reason for it, Fegan probably pressured the Rockets to do it and it was a huge blunder that has ruined the offseason.

So now let's take a trip down memory lane.

December 31, 2013 in an article for clutchfans.net, our very own BimaThug said this about potentially letting Parsons hit RFA:
    http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5862/chandler-parsons-contract-exercise-decline-team-option/
    Wait a minute? Is there actually a reason that made sense to let Parsons out of his contract OTHER than to satisfy the demands of a demonic agent? Hmmm... How did nobody else on clutchfans know this. (hint, they did and many agreed.)

Edit: Part removed

You can look through any thread on this site about Parsons PRIOR to this free agency period and find many people arguing for RFA using the fact that it makes it harder for Parsons to leave as a justification. The reality is that in UFA a year later Parsons could go anywhere he wanted. If he ultimately wanted to go to Dallas you couldn't stop him. In RFA the chances were much better that even if he WANTED to go to Dallas, you could prevent it. The idea that he would sign such a burdensome contract was far fetched when the feeling was the player would be happy to be in either place. Even Eric Gordon, WHO WANTED OUT OF NEW ORLEANS, didn't sign a contract designed to prevent a match.

So what is the point of this thread?

Simple, hindsight is 20/20. There was a very logical reason to let Parsons enter RFA this year and it had nothing do with an evil agent or Morey just being stupid. It had to do with restricted free agency being a tool that ices players out of big contracts historically. You can look this year at Eric Bledose who can't get any attention in free agency or Greg Monroe who is dealing with the same problem.

Morey gambled on RFA and he lost. He didn't blunder, he didn't cave to the agent, he made a calculate move that normally works out for the team that does it. For what it's worth, I was personally AGAINST letting him out of the contract because I wouldn't trade a year of cost control for the RFA gamble, but that doesn't mean I can't understand the logic.

TL:DR Version: Everyone is saying Morey was stupid or that the agent manipulated us to let Parsons out of his contract. Our short term memories are leading to us forgetting that this board was full of people saying that was the smart move less than a year ago.

Edit: This isn't meant as a call out clutch even though I used his posts and tweets. His are just easier to search since I follow him on Twitter and he doesn't post a ton of crap on the boards. And before anyone tries to find times where I've backtracked on a position, I'm sure I have. We all do. The point is that hindsight doesn't mean something that was once considered smart is now stupid. It just means it didn't work.

#1 justtxyank, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    12 people like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Make it stop pls.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post

5. playlife

playlife Member

Nice post

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No need for a new thread. It's been covered, and I disagree with you.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What do you disagree with? My opinion that they shouldn't have let him out of the contract or the FACT that people here thought there was good cause to do so beforehand?

8. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

why does this get a new thread? why do we continue to talk about something that is over? WHY? WHY?

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

And by losing Parson this year instead of next, we secured a solid replacement at a reasonable price where there wouldn't be a similar alternative next year

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2015-2016/

I'm tired of the crying on this board. I actually remember what it was like to have a bad team with no prospects of winning. Hell, I'm an Astros fan.

10. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

He was trying to build a dynasty long term. It was a gamble, I would have taken that gamble.

Sign Parsons long term and land a Max FA = Dynasty for years

It didn't work out, gamble worth taking

Easy to hate after the fact but us landing a big FA max and chandler walking next year with no cap to replace anyone, people and COF would be b/tching that we didnt make him RFA and Max

it goes both ways

12. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Excellent post, f **k Cuban!

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think its time to move on. It is what it is and can't go back. Morey got the franchise Harden a couple of years ago and Howard there after, he's very close. It hurts to see young talent go without getting back anything in return, but I personally feel Morey will make up for it.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I must say I think giving Jim Parsons the 2013 Emmy for lead actor in a comedy series was a mistake. I love the guy being Houstonian and repping the city all the time, but Louis CK should win everything comedy related.

1 person likes this.
  15. Nero

Nero Member

OP is exactly right.

Had they kept him one more year, it was a virtual GUARANTEE he would walk after that.

Folks, they WANTED to keep him.

You can blame stupid Michael Jordan for this mess - he is the one who pay Haywood stupid money, which set the market for Parsons, and then stupid Cuban offered Parsons the max.

In 2 years, both Charlotte and Dallas will be crying about those contracts, how they are like albatrosses around their necks, desperately trying to get rid of them, and giving up #1 picks to do so.

Especially Cuban, who was trying to be clever, assuming Houston would match, and sticking all those kickers and bumps into Parsons' contract.

Good luck with that, Cubes.

So people need to chill and just move forward.

Oh and another thing to consider: Parsons of last year was NOT the Parsons we all fell in like with as a rookie. I don't think even one time last year he made one of those awesome follow-up slams which put him on the map. He also NEVER played tight near-elite defense like he did when he was still hustling as a rookie, before his head started to swell.

The Parsons we all really liked was already gone anyway.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's Hayward and Utah matched the Hornets.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Still think you're letting him off too easy. And I'm a morey supporter.
    Bottom line, he took a huge risk he didn't have to and it hurt us big time.
    Like any job, when you take risks you should be praised when it results in a huge reward, but how would your boss feel if the risk you took hurt the company?

18. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Post Nice.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Uh, if Morey thought that we had a good chance to land a free agent, then declining the option and matching any offers would be a fine move. But a good GM knows when his chances of landing a free agent are low, and realize when it would be better to keep the band together, pick up his option, and go for a championship with what we have than to lose our assets for nothing.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Multiple things.

-More had a plan and it didn't work out.

-I've been a realist, and have always felt that having two offense only players at the two and three would prevent us from winning.

-Ariza makes this team better.