1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Houston] Jameer Nelson on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Jul 15, 2014.

1. yobod

yobod Member

I wonder if this is why we haven't heard about Jameer Nelson...

[​IMG]

After missing out on Chris Bosh, losing Chandler Parsons and dealing away Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik, the Rockets could use a lot of help.

Sharp shooters off the bench. Bench players in general. Not to mention, you know, that All Star-caliber four they’ve been looking for.

But for starters, a distributing point guard. While Patrick Beverly promises to be a fantastic backcourt defender, he’s not much of a table-setter. Last season he averaged only 3.1 assists per 36 minutes, with an assist rate of only 20.3 percent – 60th among all point guards. You could live with that if Beverly was more of a scorer, like Eric Bledsoe (52), Russell Westbrook (53), Kyrie Irving (56) and Damian Lillard (57), whose assist rates rank right around Beverly’s. But at 10.1 points per 36, Beverly’s just not that guy.

Jameer Nelson, waived by the Magic last month, however, could be.

Only, there’s that thing about those things Dwight Howard once said about him.

Said Howard last season, after muscling a trade from the Magic to the Lakers:

“And I always tell people: Hey my team in Orlando was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

Nelson didn’t take too kindly to Howard’s words:

“At some point, when are you [Dwight] gonna as a man, when are you going to take ownership and stay out of the media in a professional manner?” Nelson told the Sentinel after Wednesday’s shooatround in Miami.

“I would be less of a man to comment on certain things that people comment on about me and my teammates. We had a great run as a group, as core guys, and he was a part of it (reaching the 2009 Finals) and for him to say things about anybody in a negative manner, that’s up to him.

“That’s his opinion. If that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels.”

Could a reunion work?

It would make a ton of basketball sense. While his scoring and shooting percentages have slipped as he’s gotten older, Nelson has begun to take on more of a role as a distributor, averaging 7.0 assists per game last season – good for 9th best among point guards and the second highest of Nelson’s career.

Throw in 12.1 points per game and assume a little more efficiency, now that he would be coming off the bench. You could do worse with the mid-level exception, which would seem the right price point for Nelson, 32.

At least on the court.

In the locker room, on the other hand…

There are bigger concerns about the potential consequences of Howard’s personality and reputation, past or present, real or perceived, and whether it played a role in the Rockets being spurned by, basically, every meaningful free agent they’ve sought this offseason – the first since Howard’s arrival last summer.

And it’s worth noting, there appears to be no contact between Nelson and the Houston. To date, only the Pelicans have been reported to be interested in Nelson’s services.

But that Howard might have burned a potential bridge with somebody – anybody – who can help save face makes a tough offseason even tougher to swallow.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/15/rockets-could-use-jameer-nelson-former-verbal-target-of-dwight-howard/

2. s.b713

s.b713 Member

That stuff is so OLD,

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I am more concerned with your quote from Ellis. That was quite funny.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure they kissed and made up after those comments were made, or at least that's what i remember.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm sure the Rockets have put out feelers on Nelson and his asking price in the event that they don't make any other moves in the next couple of days. It should be clear at this point that Daryl Morey does not put much emphasis on this kind of petty stuff -- if he did, Chandler would still be here because of the whole Dwight/Fegan recruiting angle.

Besides, that Dwight quote seems to be taken completely out of context and to me reads as 'everyone on the team in Orlando were passed over by other teams and we all came together'.

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Nelson could certainly help us.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Jameer can see the end of his career in sight. Only two things matter at this point: winning and dem checks. No more egos involved. If no one else comes hard after him, then an offer at the BAE should be able to get him imo.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah like 2 years ago.

He is older and slower now.

9. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Can Nelson still play? I'm worried that at his age, he'll be a huge liability on D.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I fully believe that Dwight has matured beyond his Orlando and LA days. He had every opportunity and every right last season to blast Harden and maybe Parsons when it came to their efforts on defense. He never did. He had every opportunity to address the holes in last seasons's squad or to mention the lack of competent coaching but all he ever did was say it was up to him and Harden to carry the team because that's what franchise players do.

I highly doubt any of his former teammates are not interested in playing with him again.

11. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Would be a great fit, hopefully it happens.

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

He had more assists last year than Bev, Lin and Caanan combined. Shot at a decent clip on an extremely bad team.

#34 Member

It's obvious Jameer felt some type of way when he heard Dwight's comment, must have struck a nerve, but the funny thing is Dwight wasn't even referring to him with that comment. Also that same comment was used over and over during that playoff run by members of that squad as a motivational tactic. Jameer certainly was using that as an opportunity to go at Dwight, but it was the truth.
    -Rafer Alston
    -Anthony Johnson
    -Tyronn Lue
    -Hedo Turkoglu
    -Tony Battie
    -Adonal Foyle

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I really want Jameer on this team. He has gotten older and lost some quickness but his game should age well. Like an Andre Miller. If we can get him for MLE or biannual, I would be happy.

We would automatically become our second best passer and the play maker off the bench we need. 7 apt last season on 2.4 turnovers is a good ratio and he can still score well.

15. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

i.e. Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant?

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Toughness seems to be our MO at this point, would certainly bring it off the bench for us. Unless Canaan is really ready to play, 2 yrs 4 million sounds fine to me.

If we land Bledsoe/Dragic/Rondo, then focus should be on Millsap/Monroe/Anderson/Boozer IMO.

17. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I definitely think that he would be a great cheap addition to the team. Don't think he is worth a huge contract at this point in his career. Question Morey should be asking himself is if he thinks Cannan is ready to be the backup option at PG? I'm not sure if he is ready just yet. I'd look to add Nelson, Toney Douglas, Luke Ridnour, Ramon Sessions, Nate Robinson, Stuckey, or even try to bring back Aaron Brooks.