1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This wasn't on Parsons, McHale should have had Jones playing safety instead of guarding the inbound man.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No sir,it wasn't because the played a lil too fast, it was because they didn't put much effort defensively.

3. houactuar

houactuar Member

And even if it doesn't we didn't lose that much. Maybe Morey should have screwed parsons and exercised the team option, he's still only here one more year. He was willing to go for a three year deal. That means he did not want a long term deal to be here in Houston. He wanted out of that rookie deal, and he wanted money. Nothing terribly wrong about that. But that contradicts his image of his value is glue, his value is loyalty, his value is a team player. He's not that. He's not in the mold of the spurs, he's just like melo or bosh, a mercenary looking for maximum bank who doesn't care about winning or fans or team mates. Good riddance. He's a dime a dozen and over valued by that contract.

1 person likes this.
  4. Remii

Remii Member

Have you ever played basketball in a fast paced system where you controlled the ball a lot being one of the top scores on your team...? And I'm not talking about at the Y.

It's easy to talk about effort when your sitting on the couch with a remote in your hand.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

it's clear parsons recruited Dwight bc he knew he was going to hit free agency one year early and GET PAID ( part of getting howard to come here with Fegan) BOOM!

6. GMNot

GMNot Member

It has to be acknowledged that players and their agents are in one tribe and owners and GM's are in another. For an interesting, albeit tiny-print article about the history of CBA, see here.

Being in different tribes, it's why you won't (or very seldom) hear any player criticize another players "deal." Howard wished Parsons the best. I don't remember any players making a peep about James leaving Cleveland, or Bosh staying with Miami, and Melo staying with the Knicks. In contrast, harmony between owners/GM's and players/agents is ephemeral.

I think Parsons' reaction just means he really was stung by the contract not being matched. Which, to me, means he really wanted to stay in Houston. Remember when Ralph Sampson was assured he wouldn't be traded and then found out he was when he stepped off the plane returning from a road game? (Or at least that's what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.) That has to hurt. But Chandler needs to put himself in the other tribes shoes, too. How many times has the owner/GM of the Rockets been rejected? I bet it stung a WHOLE lot to be rejected by Bosh a second time -- especially after saying he would sign with the Rockets if James left Miami. That's easily on par with being told your contract will be matched.

Lowry, as one example, has regretted his reaction to being traded. Parsons will likely regret some of his comments about this, too. Obviously, already does, as he did some back-peddling in the "updated" Feigan article. And he should have done a bit more homework during the process. If he had, he would have understood (as many fans here on CF knew) that the trade kicker clause would be very distasteful to DM, and probably Les, too. I think he let his agent have too much of a free hand in structuring the contract. It's probably the attitude of most players that, "I just let my agent handle all that stuff." Cuban's allowing it (kicker) is probably not the norm for him. It was just a chance to make the Rockets decision that much more difficult.

The truth is it didn't work out to anyone's ideal. I think Parsons really wanted to be matched and stay a Rocket. And DM would have much preferred to sign Bosh and match Parsons. Shopping list complete. But it just didn't happen. So do we blame Bosh, his agent, Pat Riley, or even James for making it seem Bosh could be had? The last minute retreat of Bosh was a real kick in the guts (or start that word with n if you prefer) to the Rockets management. Who assuages their feelings? They just call it "a business" and carry on to the next best scenario. In this case, it just happened, in their estimation, to be not matching Parsons' contract.

So, we all move on.

I don't think it unreasonable to anticipate Parsons improving. As I said in another post, I think he'll win you more games than lose. Just as Beverly used a lack of interest (by teams) and playing overseas as motivation, Parsons' will never forget the feeling. Oft times you hear players who go later in the draft than they anticipated, say they'll remember those teams that passed on them. I expect he'll be extra "pumped" for Houston games.

It's 2 tribes. And the players, temporarily, separate into sub-tribes (teams). Owners/GM's do, too. But, ultimately, players will almost always back other players -- at least until they retire, and then, possibly, express their truer feelings about such things. Charles Barkley is a case in point. Of course, he was never shy about speaking whatever was in his mind, even as a player. (But I don't recall him criticizing another player's contract.)

I prefer to give Parsons the benefit of the doubt. I think his character is no worse than most other players. He just got caught in a high-stakes game that went sour. He cried "Ouch," reflexively. It was being jilted by that first infatuation. I think he will take any future career changes more in stride.

2 people like this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This...guy is really turning into a douchebag

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

Really don't understand all the hate that Parsons is getting. As sports fans, we cheer the most for the players who bring that competitive killer instinct on a night-in and night-out basis, and then we slam those same players when they exhibit the same trait off the court? Parsons SHOULD believe he deserves as much as he can command. He doesn't set the market for himself. He took the best (and only) offer he had, and kudos to him that it was for the max.

What were we expecting him to do instead? Decline the Dallas offer and take 25-33% less to play for a team that, both expressly and through their actions, communicated to him that he couldn't be the third star the team needs to get over the hump?

The psychological aspect of free agency has been written off far too casually, but the number of disgruntled players has reached the point where we can no longer blame the players for their "bad attitudes." Let's not forget that just last offseason, Parsons clearly thought he'd be part of the long term picture here. He wouldn't have put all that effort into bringing Dwight to Houston if he thought there was a good chance he'd bail after one season anyway.

At the very least, Morey needs to seriously reconsider how his schemes and machinations are presented and communicated to the people who will be affected the most by them, the players.

9. Lando19

Lando19 Member

I was offended when he let Lillard hit the series clinching 3, so I guess we're even.

10. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rational or not, this is the scenario I am hoping for. He'll still have his millions and lifetime membership in Mark Cuban's Cool Guy Club.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

im glad we offended him. butthurt pretty boy

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I thought a lot about this in the past few days but to me its pretty clear that after his rookie year Parsons wanted two things

1) out of the contract he signed to get paid what he felt he deserved
    2) stardom - either on or off the court

Now at least for the first part - not much could be done there its a good and bad thing that his talent propelled him to play so well. The Rockets took a gamble on giving him (as they do with their 2nd round picks) a 4 year deal. He could have declined and chose to do a 2 year deal (sort of like how Asik did), but him and his agent at the time saw the chance for 4 years and money for sure.

He could not change his contract structure and there had to be some sort of resentment building because of that.

Now the contract had another bad thing to it -- it made him almost untradeable. There wasnt another player in the league that could give the Rockets the sort of production he did at that price. In any trade the Rockets would have to give up additional players to make salaries match. The Rockets didnt really have any bad/long term deals thanks to the hard work Daryl and his staff have done the last few years. So in a trade they would have to give up another useful player which more often than not would mean they would be getting one good player in exchange for two. Unless a deal for a star came around Parsons really couldn't be traded for that reason. And teams are not looking around to trade their stars that often. (which again speaks to the shocking Harden trade and how Presti didnt insist Parsons be included)

To me this looks like a disgruntled employee - Parsons loved the limelight - the trips out to LA, the modeling stuff - I am sure if offered a TV role he would take it in an instant. But add all this up and it looked like he wanted out of Houston - despite what it looked like on the surface.

Now for the Dwight recruitment - well I will always thank Parsons for that but dont think for a second it wasn't self serving either. His name kept being put out there as the guy recruiting. He kept putting himself back in the spotlight and he got a really powerful agent in the process of doing so. I highly doubt Dwight came to Houston to play with Chandler Parsons - he came to play with Harden primarily. Having guys like Parsons there was a huge additional bonus dont get me wrong, but he came to play with Harden. There is a reason why the night of the announcement Howard had a picture with him and Harden up on his instagram.

Then earlier this season Morey sort of stated that Parsons wasnt that third star and the Rockets were looking for that third star - I think that was an indirect jab at Parsons who probably was trying to be that third star. We heard a lot about 'agendas' and players not being on the same page during the playoffs. Considering everything that has come out the last few days - many people here looked at James Harden as the player that Howard was referring to with his comments -- that player it seems like was actually Parsons and not Harden.

Parsons admitted that he wanted more money, wanted to be the star - to him it was about the name on the back of the jersey and not the one on the front.

I think Morey was actually doing Parsons a solid by declining his options for two reasons

1) - get parsons more money early and have him locked in as a Rocket because he would be a restricted free agent. Had he picked up his option and Parsons became unrestricted I am would be Parsons would have left immediately at the sign of the first big contract. Morey did not want to lose Parsons for nothing - people here thought he wouldn't leave like that but clearly that wasnt on Chandler's mind. Also generally during restricted free agency players usually get more reasonable deals - not max ones. I dont believe that the Rockets front office felt he would get that much - they figured he maybe offered something higher but not by this much. FWIW I valued Parsons at around 8-9 per year.

2) - to actually be able to trade him - once on a deal that parsons him his reasonable worth it would be easier to trade him for either a future pick or a good rotation player. This would help Parsons move out with dignity and the Rockets keep rolling.

Of course neither scenario came into play - and Parsons is gone.

Personally I am not happy that a player of his caliber was lost for nothing, but I am glad the Rockets were able to replace his production with a better player (imo) in Ariza at a much more reasonable price tag. Add in that Ariza wont come with the drama Parsons did - he knows his role in the league now and will play it.

So actually chemistry within the locker room may actually be a lot better now if you think about it -- they lost Parsons who complained about $ and needing to be a star, they traded away Asik - who milked an 'injury' and needed to start, and they traded away Lin who also was passive aggressively upset that he wasnt the starter anymore. (though I feel Lin was the least of the problem compared to Parsons and Asik)

Now you bring in a guy who will help your perimeter defense and give you better 3 point shooting that Parsons. He may not be able to create as well as Parsons did but its not like he cant dribble drive at all.

You bring in Dorsey who can back up Dwight for a full season, who has developed his game defensively overseas and probably a bit humbled after leaving the NBA and is hungry to make an impact.

The same goes with Jeff Adrien.

Parsons I hope he is happy with his money in Dallas. But he is going to be in for a harsh reality soon. Mavs fans will be really upset at him when they realize they cant get a big star because he is making so much money.

He didnt want to be on the Rockets - well he got his wish, but as the saying goes - be careful what you wish for

8 people like this.
  13. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

funniest part of all of this is that...

-Parsons actively recruited Howard over Asik....they same way the Rockets FO recruited Melo.
    -When Asik pouted early in the season Chandler told the media that Asik needed to be a "professional"

Fast forward to now and Chandler is the one that is offended by the same recruiting tactics he used himself.

Hypocrisy alert!!

Good riddance to a soft average NBA small forward

14. ogh

ogh Member

I hope he be the first star in Dallas so we can beat their poops out.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Somenone photoshop his head on those pep boys heads from The Simpsons episode where company logos came to life!!

16. alethios

alethios Member

Excellent post, Yoyo! I think we both came out winners in this deal. And if the basketball gods are smiling on us, the Mavs will eventually regret this signing.

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

"just don't look, just don't look"

I would rep you if i could

18. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Nobody cares about the contract. He's overpaid, but as long as we got our deals done, we'd match him and just pay it. All of it is over the cap anyway, whether it's 1 dollar or 16mil over matters only to Leslie Alexander and he was fine with it.

The way he's handled it though was completely classless.

First of all, he could have waited like 2 or 3 seconds before free agency started to sign it, instead of putting us in panic mode. He knew we wanted to pay him.

Second, how many players have you seen announcing their new signed contracts with pictures of themselves partying with their new team's owner? How many of those did that while not even knowing if they'll be playing for the guy next year? How many knew full well that their current team intended to match their contract? How many did all that poser-level bull**** involving one of their current teams worst rivals and made sure to make it as public as possible?

Third, he hasn't been gone for a day and he's already gone on record twice talking **** about the Rockets.

Fourth, the guy actually believes he's a superstar worth Harden's money and felt DISRESPECTED because the Rockets wanted to improve their team further instead of just trusting him to fulfill his self-assumed potential and become Carmelebron Duranthony overnight.

Fifth, and I'm going way back with this, a lot of people thought his head was already filling up with his own hype when he went on record saying that he's clearly better than Batum while the Blazers had broken our HCA twice.

Yeah sure, he's a good glue guy and I definitely wanted him back, but not with our cap space, on that contract or with that behavior. So see ya Parsons, and try to be less of a douche.

19. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

The reason Parsons is offended is because they traded his BF Jeremy Lin away to the Lakers.... JK JK

I don't like the Mavs but Dallas seems to be a good city for Parsons... A lot of beautiful white girls for Parsons.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Right on target, The_Yoyo. The only thing you left out, and actually, you touched on it, is that Morey and Cuban were both played by Fegan, in my opinion.