1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

Agreed with that - but that's different than saying he's better than those guys.

Probably true on #1, but from his perspective, they offered him a big deal that knocked them out of whatever chance they had with Melo - it may have been 0%, but that's not how he's going to see it. On #2, that's not true - it depends on what your odds are. If you think you have a 50% chance at Melo/Bosh, sure. If you think you have a 10% chance at them and might miss out on other guys by waiting, many teams probably move on. I'd guess that's where Dallas was.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was agreeing with your previous comment and I apologize for sounding like I was against it. And I agree with all of the above as well.

If the NBA operated without a salary cap then spending $15 million on Parsons is something that can be justified. But since they don't operate that way spending $15 million on Parsons is a luxury item. I'm sure you agree.

And yup, once Dallas realizes that all they have is a spot up 3 point shooter in Parsons due to the nature of the PnR Ellis/Dirk runs I'd like to see how people in Dallas are going to justify his salary then.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Feeling exactly
    Everyone comes into the NBA ... from BEING THE MAN on their team
    Takes them time to find their niche
    and get humbled a bit . . . .
    Short Term Success of being underrate can pump a person up

The question is .. . is Chandler Parson the next __<Insert Great Star>___?
    Who do we view him as becoming?

Rocket River

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

did you just get introduced to bullet points? you're doing it wrong

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's saying he wanted to be prioritized over those guys. I'm sorry he feels that way but that's just not realistic.

They didn't offer him a deal until it was already reported that Melo had ruled out the Mavs and Rockets with most reports indicating he was staying in NY by that point.

Also, who was it the Mavericks took to dinner and wanted a meeting with as soon as FA opened? He's seriously delusional if he thinks Cuban sees him in anything similar to the same light as Melo.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Honestly I didnt jump on the hate wagon.. good for him getting his money. I do hate Cuban for just doing this to screw us cuz hes a giant baby that cant handle losing but thats beside the point.

I did however join the hate wagon after his interviews.. If, like you say, we cant blame him for taking the money, then why didnt he just say "the contract was too awesome to pass up and there was always a chance for them to match" Instead he had to justify it with "I was feeling offended, and I didnt have a big enough roll...." complaining about us allowing him to make the more money, when he knew if we succeeded then he would be brought back ,no offense given...

All in all, like most atheletes from the fan hate (Andre Johnson is fitting this nicely) Its not really about being mad at the player for doing whats best for them, yes we would all take the extra millions, but its about HOW THEY HANDLE IT.. and neither parsons nor AJ has done that well at all. IMO

7. Amir's Johnson

I'm starting to hate Parsons just as much as I hate Mo Williams. Both playing for Dallas..this season should be interesting.

8. Major

Major Member

I agree with all of that - but I think you probably hold your manager to higher standards of conduct than your subordinates. That's not to say you have low expectations of employees, but the CEO has to act differently than the janitor. It's part of the responsibility that comes with being management.

When you become a RFA, you kind of have to go out and get an offer, or your team doesn't have to offer you anything. And you have to do it quickly while teams have the flexibility to sign you. The idea of allowing it from the team's perspective is to let the market determine the player's value. I don't think Morey or the Rockets would think Parsons was disloyal for signing the best term sheet in free agency.

I'm not sure the logistics of the $11MM/yr deal. You'd have to not sign an offer sheet and take Morey at his word that he would agree to it later on, even if circumstances changed. You're asking CP to act on faith and risk millions of dollars.

Fair enough - we're quibbling over terminology at this point, I think. Ultimately, he made Parsons feel devalued. Feelings and ego are not an objective science - when you go on the radio and tell people that you didn't sign a guy because he wasn't good enough to be the 3rd best player on a title team, you're devaluing him in his mind. You're saying you didn't have faith that he could improve and help your team enough, and you're doing it publicly. That may all be true - it just never needed to be said. Nothing good comes out of it for anyone.

1 person likes this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is not Morey's job to care about the fan base. It IS his job however to do everything he can to try to build a winner and not jeopardize our cap by making poor decisions that fans make due to emotions.

10. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

When Parsons was being underpaid, he was free to play loose and with a clear mind focused on basketball to prove himself. I believe this was a big part of his success.

NOW, this MAX contract will loom over his head on every missed shot, error and team loss. If he had that contract with the Rockets, then it would not have been that bad--since it was his home team. However, it's with another team and I believe he did not expect to leave the Rockets. Let's see what happens when the honeymoon period is over.

He will put a lot of pressure on himself to show everyone that he deserves every penny of that contract. This focus on himself, combined with the belief that he is as good as Bosh, Melo and LBJ, rather than the team, may be his demise.

This situation is played out every day in all business units. Does he have the mental toughness to play with a bull’s-eye on him?

We know Harden and many other starts struggled with this pressure during the playoffs.

11. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Chandler Parson's believes he is that third star?

Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and four assists with the Rockets last season as the third scorer behind James Harden and Dwight Howard.

:confused::confused::confused:

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Pretty sure Melo was gonna play the 4 spot... dont you remember all our talks on how he was gonna guard LMA and Griffin.. we were not getting melo to replace parsons.. if he thought that then i question his intelligence

13. steddinotayto

I agree and I think we're at least on the same chapter regarding this.

I threw out the $11 million figure in comparison to what his counterparts on other teams with similar talent is making. Again, I don't fault the guy for taking the money. I'm just perturbed by the words he's using (just like how some on here are with Morey). Maybe it's the youth in him, maybe he doesn't have that PR panache yet...who knows. But what he's publicly stated this past year at times show that he, too, needs to hold himself to a higher standard. People make mistakes and learn from them and all this "offended" talk and how he's the "best small forward in the series" talk are things he'll learn to either not say or to back it up every day.

Agreed.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So... slower pace... most probably fewer shots (and I would bet more heavily contested), but you think he can get 20 ppg.

Dirk averaged 21.7 ppg last season, and Monta got 19 in that system, but Chandler will slide right in and add 20. Sorry, I just really doubt that.

he'll get fewer minutes, be called on *much* more for defense and setting picks and swinging the ball than he ever was here. He'll also get a lot fewer fastbreak bunnies.

I would bet on 13 ppg, especially because not-smart people usually don't perform so well under pressure. He hasn't excelled under what little pressure he had here (e.g. playoffs versus good-to-mediocre Batum), so there's no reason to think he'll flourish when the Dallas metroplex expects an all-star.

We will see.

To some of the other comments: nobody, but nobody, is faulting the guy for taking the contract and getting paid. But the way he has carried himself, like a petulant 12-yr-old, is worthy of criticism. Just kind of the worst stereotype of a millennial, actually.

By the way, I would not doubt at all that there was pre-free-agency communication between Parsons and Cuban. That clubbing photo just screams that suggestion.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wish Parson was Tayshaun Prince
    That guy had a damn decent underrated career

Rocket River

16. steddinotayto

I'm not penciling him in for 20 a night but would I be shocked? Not really. Would he have to take more (and thus miss more) shots to get that 20? All signs point to yes.

Parsons being able to score 20 a night isn't outlandish but that still wouldn't justify paying him almost 25% of your cap room.

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

No, Morey is saying he doesn't think Parsons is a star/max level player. That may end up incorrect, but at this point, a rather understandable and commonly held position. I'm not even sure the Mavs would disagree, unless we believe Cuban made this offer without any regard to the Rockets, which the trade kicker and such would tell us otherwise. And he's been saying they want a third 'star' since the beginning.

You can't be 'supportive' of something that seems more a delusion and won't help what you're trying to accomplish. If Bosh had been here Parsons beliefs are ok to roll with. When that didn't happen things change.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well Said

Rocket River

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Mo Williams signed with Dallas?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who was the Spurs 3rd leading scorer? What were his averages? What about the Heat, who was theirs.

DD