1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you think the name on the back of the jersey is more important the the name in front we don't need your type of fandom nor your kids (if that's how they get into the team). Show them te championship videos.

The last thing we need here are more player fans.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ding DING DING !!

Remember when Morey said he never referred to players as assets?

:)

DD

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if his scoring actually went down slightly. Dirk and Monta Ellis take more shots per game than Dwight and Harden. Harden also averaged more assists last year as well.

Last year Parsons was among the league leaders in MPG. Is he really going to be asked to play 40 MPG? Is that going to make him more effective?

Is Parsons going to be put in isolation's more? Is that really where his excels? In the game vs. the Grizzlies when he broke the Rockets record for 3's in a game, when they Iso'ed him for the final shot... how did that work out?

Maybe the Mavs do in fact put the ball in Chandlers hands to create more next year, but I dont necessarily think that's for the betterment of their team. The Monta/Dirk P&R last year was beyond deadly & was what gave them a ton of success last year.

Putting Parsons in isolation's & P&R's with Dirk only takes away from their #1 strength. Parsons is a very good P&R player, but I have a nagging suspicion Carlisle (despite what he says) is going to lean towards continuing to go with the more deadly Monta/Dirk P&R the majority of the plays they run.

Sorry Chandler but I just dont see your stats really improving that much from a scoring perspective without hurting your new team. I think the best thing about his stats from the Rockets were that he was involved in so many different categories. His versatility was what made him who he is. If he opts for the superstar treatment & thinks that this means scoring more, I think it works against what made him such an awesome player for the Gators & the Rockets.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think people overrate Morey's issues with players. It's fan created.

Kyle Lowry said he loved Morey and would sit around with him looking over stat sheets. Parsons actually was very complimentary of Morey. Bosh was complimentary of Morey.

Danny Ainge is a guy that is "respected" these days and is good old boy former player GM. In an interview about Rondo he said something like "I would never promise any player that they will be here next year. My job isn't to make them feel comfortable and secure it's to make the team better."

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think Morey is respected, because he is so committed to his way, the players know it is a business - and Morey doesn't hide behind that fact.

They know what they get when they sign here, they could be shipped out the next day if Morey thinks it would help the team.

DD

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's the thing: no one should be blamed more than the other person for what had happened. Is Parsons a max-contract player? Heck no but do I fault him for grabbing the money? Absolutely not. Sure I'll make fun of the fact that he's paid more than Steph Curry and pretty much on par with Russell Westbrook but I'll never say "Man, he should have taken what the Rockets were going to offer him and be happy with it! Don't take more than that!" because that would be stupid.

In building a championship team, Morey would have better served the team by keeping Parsons for one more year but then he wouldn't have had the OPPORTUNITY to match any offer out there for him next summer. So it's that's his fault....and sorta not his fault.

In trying to get maximum money, Parsons signed an offer sheet that the Rockets could have matched and he would have been happy staying here. Unfortunately Houston didn't and now he's got his big payday but there's also a spotlight on him to perform up to the standards of his salary. So that's his fault...and sorta not his fault.

Equal blame all around.

7. Major

Major Member

People always overvalue themselves - that's again human nature. And management is held to a higher standard than employees. Employees should be expected to do some stupid things - management should be better than that.

I do agree that employee relations is a two-way street, but Parsons was always extremely loyal to the team and its interests - just look at his aggressive recruiting of Howard. You don't go to the media and say a guy wasn't good enough to be your 3rd best player, no matter if it's true or not or what the employee says about you. It just is publicly denigrating a former employee. There is a growing trend of people leaving the Rockets on bad terms that you just don't see with other teams - eventually, that has the potential to create problems for the team.

8. steddinotayto

I wouldn't be shocked if he averaged 20 ppg as Dallas' system and coach will allow him to do so.

The bigger issue is what else is he going to bring to the table to justify his max contract? He needs to recommit himself to defense and be able to do the other things. Everyone harps on Harden's defense (present company included) but Harden's ability to score is on an elite level.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THIS

Seriously. . . . Chandler Bing . . er . . PArsons .. . . get over yourself son

Rocket River

10. Major

Major Member

Except he never said that. He said he thought he could be a 3rd star. Not that he was a better 3rd star than those guys. In your anger, you're overinterpreting statements in the worst possible way.

1 person likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Morey never said Parsons wasn't good enough to be your 3rd best player. In fact, he said he might actually be. Listen to the interviews. He said that might have been good enough. The problem was that if it WASN'T good enough, you'd have no flexibility at all to get better.

12. justtxyank

He was upset that the Rockets wanted him to wait on Melo/Bosh and said they had their third star right in front of them. He claims he preferred the Mavericks because they didn't ask him to wait on Melo or Bosh.

1) He's not correct. They did wait until Melo was out of the picture before offering him that deal

2) No team in the league would blow a chance at Melo/Bosh for Parsons. Not one.

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Yes, but when players make decisions, it's not pure logic. There are a lot of human emotion factors in play. And Morey has shown that his way of treating players purely as assets do rub many players in the wrong way. Morey simply doesn't have good people skills, his logics dominate his decision, and he probably think most players do the same, but they don't.

14. steddinotayto

You say it's human nature for people to overvalue themselves but managers should be better than to do stupid things? I don't look at my director and say that she's infallible to mistakes as my employees don't look at me and expect perfection. Of course we're probably thinking of different levels of stupidity. :grin:

Parsons was loyal and rightfully so because Morey found him and the Rockets gave him an opportunity to be in the position he's in right now. Do I think Parsons should have done the Rockets a solid and agree to maybe $11 million a year and not sign that max offer? Yes, but he got a max offer and he SHOULD have signed it. When he did, did he show loyalty?

And Morey never intimated that Parsons wasn't a star. It was always under the assumption and knowledge that he wanted to find a 3rd SUPERstar, that elite player. That's where Parsons, as an employee, overvalued himself. A good example is Harden. He never started for OKC but everyone who watched him knew he had something special (NBA Finals performance aside). Parsons? What does he do that makes him special? Being a glue guy? Being a good recruiter? At least when Gilbert Arenas got his max deal he was a top 5 scorer in the league and could be the best player on a team.

15. steddinotayto

And that's the thing. If Parsons can't recognize that Melo or Bosh is better than him and that we REALLY needed either one to fill our PF gap then I don't know what else to say but "Good luck in Dallas". He was a team player and loyal to Houston's cause all summer UNTIL Cuban went full r****d and gave him a max deal. Money talked and will continue to talk.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Let me rephrase what I said then. I could actually see his scoring go slightly down if it was for the betterment of the team & he actually improved on what he excels at.

The facts show that the #1 strength of the Mavs last year was the Monta/Dirk P&R. If you take away from that, you're hurting the team IMO.

Now, I do see Parsons getting more touches when Dirk is off the floor to make up for some of the offense that is lost from Vince Carter. However, they didn't bring Parsons in to replace Vince. They brought him in to complement Dirk & Monta & he needs to be on the floor with those two.

My point is that if he's going to justify his max deal is going to be by improving on what he excel's at... which is basically being a jack of all trades. An improved Chandler Parsons that is better at the things he's already good at IS WORTH 15 mil a year IMO. A Chandler Parsons that scores 20PPG right now is NOT WORTH 15 mil a year.

There are few players in the league that impact the game on that many levels. If he is thrust into a role where he feels like he needs to score more to take on that star role more... it will not be for the betterment of the team. (look at what happened to his defense when he was asked to score more last year... its a give & take).

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Parsons is offended we thought that Harden + Howard + Bosh + Parsons is a better team than Harden + Howard + Parsons.

To me that means two things:
    1. Chandler is much less smart than I gave him credit for and
    2. He doesn't care about the team being better.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

late to the thread, so probably making points others have already made:

• i have no problem with what parsons said
    • when you go all in to acquire a guy who plays the same position (Melo)
    • you're sending a clear message to the incumbent that "you're not that guy"
    • we might take care of you
    • and the new guy might fill a slightly different role
    • but you're not the Stud we need to win
    • Morey's plan was flawed from the start
    • the *only* player available that it made sense to clear the decks for was Bosh
    • and Bosh wasn't available when Morey made his summer game plan
    • I'm 100% behind the Asik & Lin trades
    • but Morey took a huge, and completely unnecesary risk, declining Parsons' option
    • the HAD TO BE a quid prop quo w/ Fegan
    • Morey is no stupid, and nothing else makes any sense
    • I believe Morey will find significant pieces between now and training camp
    • and we may well be a better team than we were last year
    • But Morey did disrespect Parsons, and Parsons is right to be insulted by it
    • He might not *just* be Tayshaun Prince
    • But TP has a couple of rings
    • and the Pistons don't win thos rings w/o him

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was reading Ariza said that in Washington he grew up and realized who he was as a a player. We all remember him trying to be the man.

Now Parsons has to go through it

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Being a 25 year old, a pretty boy model and now multi millionaire is starting to show through. Man Chandler, back off a bit son. You are a good sf but you aren't a superstar and you sure aren't the best recruiter in the NBA (that would be Lebron simply due to the fact people take waaaay less to play with him). Your newly shown attitude will serve you well in Dallas, they are all a bunch of pompus butts.....