1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Johnson is doing really well in summer league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by autoprt, Jul 15, 2014.

1. autoprt

autoprt Member

I hadn't heard a lot about him but Nick Johnson based on what we're seeing is a diamond in the rough.

His uncle is Dennis Johnson who was huge star with the Supersonics and Celtics and hopefully something was passed along in the bloodlines.

He may be the option we're looking for as a solid backup PG to Bev or if he continues to progress potentially the other way around.

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

He is considered to be more of a SG.

3. autoprt

autoprt Member

from what i did read he could play both. i say give him a shot, for some reason i'm not too confident with canaan.

4. smr6

smr6 Member

Yeah, he's more of a SG, but can play PG alongside a player like Harden I'd imagine.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He projected as a 2, but he showed quite a bit of playmaking in the summer league. I imagine the Rockets are gonna give him a long look a the 1, he probably ends up as a combo guard.

I really love his game, loved it at Arizona and have seen nothing to change my opinion. I think he will spend most of the season in the rotation. We will get a gauge on how the rockets feel about him as a PG depending on who we pick up.

6. do work son

do work son Member

I see more in him than I ever saw in Canaan

7. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I like what I see so far with him as a combo guard. Top that off with incredible athleticism and he's looking very promising.

8. rokit

rokit Member

He's good, but we should've went for Jordan Clarkson (LAL 46th pick).

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He's a combo, so he can play either the 1 or 2.

But it will interesting to see Johnson and Canaan battle it out for the back up spot. The competition between them should serve them well, since competition between players tends to help players develop.

10. autoprt

autoprt Member

canaan is ok but he did better when he 1st started playing then it seemed he was thinking too much and got overwhelmed which is understandable....

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Combo guard is exactly what you want next to Harden. You want a guy who can defend either position, get to the rim, hit the the 3, etc. Not really worried about him running an offense because we don't ask our PG to do that very much.

12. CertifiedTroll

But, he is making the transition to PG. If you watch him play SL you can see it is going smoothly.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I love the idea of Beverly/ Cannaan/ Johnson/ Daniels all competing for mins beside Harden.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I love all the young talent we have on this team right now. Bev / Nick will play defense.

15. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

There are always PGs without elite PG skills on Championship teams:
    Chalmers, Kenny Smith, etc

Nick J can do even more.

16. RocsFan

RocsFan Member

I agree Johnson looks good in summer league; hopefully it will translate. Canaan and Covington tearing up the D League last year hasn't translated (yet). I'm more worried that our more experienced players, Canaan, Dmo, Covington, Leunen PLUS Johnson can't seem to win a game in Vegas.

Rocsfan

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Luther Head 2.0. :p

18. ekingjames12

ekingjames12 Contributing Member

19. ekingjames12

ekingjames12 Contributing Member

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've been impressed with Covington too. I don't think his stats are standing out much but he looks comfortable on the court. I could see him being a rotation player before the year is out.