1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

It wasn't his decision alone. If Les Alexander wanted to pay, Chandler would still be a Rocket.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey deciding not to exercise the team option on Parsons might be the most WTF moment he has ever had as a GM. Inexcusable.

3. SS0101

SS0101 Member

After thinking about it I don't know why any of us are surprised (including myself who thought we should/would match). Morey has always shown that he values flexible contracts more than anything. Looking at our roster (what's left of it), there is not one contract/player that can't be traded...I didn't think Parsons contract was as absurd as most did, but I guess he viewed it as one he would not be able to trade if needed.

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

They won the title 3 years ago!! Not winning 2 titles in 4 years all of a sudden means a team can't get over a hump now!?!

5. treeman

treeman Member

Obviously it hasn't gone the way they wanted it to. It almost did. Bosh was in the bag until Riley threw a zillion dollars at him; everything done before that was done in an effort to land Bosh or someone on that level. I don;t blame Morey one bit for striking out on that - he did everything he could, and I agree that the team needs a big improvement to get to the next level. They are not good enough as is. At least going forward we will have the flexibility to make that move when the opportunity presents itself. With Parsons' new contract we wouldn't be in such a position, and we wouldn't be good enough to truly contend, either.

Free agency is dictated by the players, not the teams. All the teams can do is try to position themselves to lure stars. And if you don't play, you don't win.

Oh, they're going to be good - maybe even better than the Rockets next season. But they are not good enough to win it all, and they are going to be stuck with what they have going forward. And Dirk isn't getting any younger - age WILL catch up with him at some point.

6. brennan713

brennan713 Member

As a person born in 94 and had never experienced a championship like most of you, I am glad we declined this.

Ariza is a capable replacement at half the price.

This isn't exactly a championship worthy move, but it's the right one.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What? How did they throw it away? By giving up Jeremy Lin?

Dwight and Harden are two superstars...Two superstars and good players around them has ALWAYS been enough in this league. 3 Star players has always been the ultimate lofty goal but not many teams even have the ability to do that and when they do we call them a "Big 3" because it doesn't happen often.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I forgot, free agency ends tomorrow, the season starts Tuesday and the playoffs begin next Friday. Players never get disgruntled, teams never improve after the trade deadline, and the Cavs are guaranteed to win it all because of Bronny. The year is lost! The year is lost! And it's all because we traded a disgruntled backup center who missed half the year with injury, a mediocre backup point guard who made boneheaded decisions down the stretch, and a decent SF who was our third option only because there was no one better on the roster. I guess all the Morey doubters are right, the system is broken. Smh

1 person likes this.
  9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I mean why did he decline the team option. What was the expected
    Benefit?

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I agree with this decision. This is part of Morey's operating principles--which has made him largely successful--never overpay for a role player.

No way Parsons will ever be as good as Harden.

I applaud Morey for sticking to his principles. We can find another 2nd round gem again!

11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

They have been on the decline since... You remember their fire-sale immediately after winning right??

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

It's not just about cost!!!!!
    The Rockets are working to build a championship caliber team but they have to do so within the NBA salary cap structure. Parsons' contract is not conducive to that end.
    They have to plan in a way that will allow them to wisely assemble a team capable of winning it all within the framework of league rules. It's not just a matter of "He who spends the most wins." See Brooklyn.

The fact is they had an incredible plan that would have put them in prime position to win it all. They were more than willing to spend over the cap to make it happen. Unfortunately Riley persuaded Bosh to choose differently. I'm pretty sure Howard and Harden are both keenly aware of this.

It would be foolish to now spend just for the sake of spending when doing so not only fails to get to closer to your goal, but also hinders you from making effective moves in the immediate future.

I like Parsons as much as the next guy, but that contract would have been burdensome for a team that may still need to get better and that trade kicker would have made it extremely difficult to move him.
    So yeah, it is about that $15 Million, and it's about knowing how to move wisely to put the team in position to succeed now and in the future.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worst off-season ever

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You clearly forgot the offseason two years ago before we got Harden.

1 person likes this.
  15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

That's also sticking it to Fegan and Parsons. No one plays the Rockets for fools and gets paid by them. Ever.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Losing Yao will always hurt more than anything like this. I miss Yao :(

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I miss him as well. Almost everyone around here misses him. Thinking about Yao sure didn't make me feel better. :-(-

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Pay Parsons $10 -12M and lock him for another 3 years. Otherwise he will be gone when he becomes a UFA. Just moved the timetable up 1 year.

We can begin to find our new core starting this season.

One thing you can say about McHale who is admittedly a bad coach. He will not complain no matter what changes happen to his line-up.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. It has been bleaker in the past.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you kidding me? We went from being completely excited about being a championship contender to perhaps not even making the playoffs this off-season.

We just lost our back-up center, our back-up pg, and our up-and-coming star SF.

And in return we get back TREVOR ARIZA!!!! A contract we once were so happy to get rid of.

Oh man. This team is going to be sad to watch next year.