1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Would rather go after Ilyasova at a much cheaper rate (and someone who is a much more efficient option that fits our offense.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'll have to research some more but I thought I read a hard cap hits when certain events occur over the tax apron. I'll read more and get back unless someone with more knowledge can give insight.

I thought I recall though that even if bosh were to S&T at the max we couldn't afford to resign parsons and keep everyone due to hitting the hard cap. I'll find out more.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

S&T, MLE and BAE trigger the hard cap (4m over luxury threshold)

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

I hope the next CBA simplifies all of this gobbledygook.

5. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

We'd have been around the same tax level if we had signed Bosh and matched Parsons too. If we're in it to win this is the time to spend.

Howard - DMo - Minimum Big
    Smith - Parsons - DMo
    Parsons - Ariza - Covington
    Harden - Daniels - Johnson
    Bev - Canaan - Johnson

We'd probably give up Jones in the trade.

Howard 20.5
    Harden 14.5
    Parsons 15
    Smith at 13.5
    Ariza at 8.5
    Dmo at 1.5
    Bev at 1
    Canaan at 1
    Daniels at 2
    Johnson at 1
    (Covington at 1 and Minimum Big at 1) or Vet big around 2.5

That puts you up against the hard cap but I think it should all fit if the hard cap is at $81 million. I'm not a cap expert so I'd be happy to have someone else jump in here.

With that said, the chances of this happening are still pretty small...

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Anybody think that T-Wolves would take a trade of Covington, Jones, DMo, Rights to Llull and two first rounders for Love?

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Howard, Smith, Ariza, and Beverly would cause some serious havoc on defense, we'd league the league in blocks and steals. But man, our offense would be beyond ugly. And if we get him and match Parsons, so would our salary cap....not sure if Smith's worth it. I should think Morey can find someone like him but cheaper....or maybe that's Jones? I would rather take a spread the floor type guy (Anderson), or a legit PG over Smith.

8. derp

derp Member

Nope. The cavs have that bet with just Tristan Thomas and Anthony Bennett

9. Rox>Mavs

Thanks! Also Crash did great work explaining what we could do here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9109559&postcount=26

I guess we can't use our exceptions AND go over the threshold. We lose that ability if we go over the threshold (like a hardcap but not really) like the nets did.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's about time the rockets face the reality that our coach is not Gregg Popovich so stop trying to go get overrated foreign players STOP IT! Get athletes on our bench ones like D. Stephenson style. That's what you gotta do when you don't have a great coach. If the foreigner is not a allstar I don't want him. Sick of seeing Casspi and DMO... we don't have the coaches to develop them or put them in the right system to fit.

11. Rox>Mavs

I'm torn, part of me wants to match parsons but if smith could be got for just a salary dump and a small asset (2nd rounder) I might decline parsons in order to trade for smith.

Houston Out: Asik & 2nd round pick
    NOP Out: 1st rounder and non-guaranteeds
    Detroit Out: Smith

Houston In: Smith & NOP 1st
    NOP In: Asik
    Detroit In: non guaranteeds and 2nd rounder

Smiths contract is actually just as or more tradable later than parsons.
    We move from loading up at the 3 spot to addressing some needs at the 4. Plus we don't have to give up Jones who can still develop and provide offense when needed.

If Smith can get had for space and a minor pick I might be inclined to go this way instead of matching parsons. Flame on.....

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah and no telling how good Nick Johnson will play this year. Match Troy Daniels. We would be really good.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If we're gonna be stuck with Chandlers crappy contract for the next 2-3 years, and IF Detroit IS shopping Smith for (as it was termed) hot garbage... then I say we gotta go all in.... and take a flier on Joshs' crappy contract...

Question is: Josh Smith or Ryan Anderson? Regardless of contract, whichever is most apt to get us a championship is who you turn Asik into... whether its straight up with NO or 3 way w Detroit....
    Then u match Parsons and Daniels....

Point is, if we resign parsons, any large acquisition has to happen now, before we match Chandler and cap ourselves out for the next 2-3 years....

14. Rox>Mavs

I actually don't think that's necessary. If we match we'd be over the cap with parsons and ariza and we'd still have Asik on the books too. We could still trade Asik after a matching of parsons to complete a major trade for another player assuming it doesn't push us over the tax threshold.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This thread really is a black eye for this site, why don't we just get a thread going saying we should go after Amar'e Stoudemire while we're at it.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And you truely believe the rockets can actually win a championship with Beverly, Canaan and Johnson as their PGs?

17. Rox>Mavs

Smith is a head case but comparing him to amare is completely unfair both talent wise and contract wise. That said if you think there are clearly better options to utilize Asik salary as a trade piece I'm all ears. But so far there aren't clear winners.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasting it by doing nothing at all with it is better than getting Josh Smith with it. There's a reason he could be had for a loaf of moldy bread and a package of stale potato chips.

19. traveler

traveler Member

Smith fits well with Howard. He is one of the best defenders against these top tier PF's that kicked our rears last year. That alone will insure we have a deeper playoff run.

As for his offense. It does sting but he doesn't shoot that many 3's at all. He can take the ball and get to the basket and score. He was more efficient when he played as a PF with Atl. He can give us 18 game consistently and should get close to 10 RPG. The top PF's having to give up the ball because of him is priceless.

The only concern should be if he is a locker room cancer.

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Dude, as of right now we're gonna get TORCHED by the 4's in our ccomferance. He is an elite defender anything he brings offensively is a plus.
    We are not asking him to create offensive for us.

Our weakest position defensively is the pf (or sg) and the strongest position in the west is PF.

If a guy like Bradley can get 8 mill for being totally lopsided on D, then smiths contract isn't Amare-esque.

Bringing a guy like Anderson helps, but we still get torched on D.