1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wait until the Ariza Only Fans show up. Oh boy.

2. BMoney

BMoney Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S3Zy1gaAAmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I liked this performance from the 2014 playoffs. We will definitely benefit from Ariza this time.

3. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Based on last season, this is a great deal at 8mill/yr. I'm still not a fan but I'm optimistic that he will do better since he'll have a different role now vs Adelman. He can naturally play his strengths(3's & Defense) this time around vs trying to be the main guy like last time.

4. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Better than nothing.LOL

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

the one thing i can say is that his contract is on the declining pay scale as the years progress so i think it declines about 400K per year. so that helps the teams flexibility in 2016 and beyond.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

No bro, this signing is excellent. Even more so than Luol Deng, as Ariza is an elite 3 point shooter. Deng was never realistic anyways due to him never wanting to come West.

Excellent signing by Morey. Now we have to use up the rest of our capspace and go all-in for a title run.

7. fluors

fluors Member

What you said about Ariza's three point shooting is correct, no room for debate there, but I look at it differently than you. This is indeed the first time that his 3ptFG% reached 40.9%. But that stroke got more efficient each year since 2007. To me, that's an indication that he worked hard to perfect that shot and is just now reaping the reward of his labor. Do you know how many games Trevor's 3ptFG% exceeded 40% last season? Forty-two times. It can't be down to luck. What if I told you that his 3ptFG% surpassed 50% in thirty-four of those forty-two games? Luck or skill? Sure, it's possible that his 3ptFG% could fall off a cliff next season but I wouldn't bet on it. Let's hope that he can repeat in 2014-2015 for the Rockets what he did in 2013-2014 for the Wizards. That would make a lot of Rocket fans (including you) very happy, especially if it carried through the playoffs.

8. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

to think we targeted Lebron, Melo and Bosh, and we've ended up with the second coming of Ariza while losing 3 key pieces from last year's lineup.

ph well, something is better than nothing I guess

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Next obligatory signing: Aaron Brooks

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We were never favorites to sign either one of those 3 you mentioned.

Media and reporters were toying with us on Twitter mostly.
    It is sad but you have to be prepared for this and move on.

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I think we were favourites to sign Bosh, once LeBron left for Cleveland. It's just that Bosh pretty much made everybody believe he would leave Miami since Miami low-balled him, but they came back with a huge max and he changed his god damn mind.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rockets had him playing SG as the number 1 option his first time here. He's more of a role player.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The media made you think that.

After Lebron left, they had more than enough money and years to give him, do not underestimate that he is settled there. His family, friends, memories, glorious past.

I always though it would be 50/50 at best.
    Miami is one of the most exciting places on the face of the planet.
    Leaving that is very hard.

It is not like Lebron who knew from the start, he wanted to retire in Cleveland, Bosh had no plan of sorts.

Making a decision is pretty hard for anyone.

14. langal

langal Member

Yes I like the signing by itself. Just still a major letdown. But this might actually work out better for us. There are no albatross contracts. Well maybe Parsons...

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Media was reporting: Bosh is close to finalizing a deal with the Rockets......

That is 90% sure news like Lebron going to Cleveland. While they were right with Lebron they just made a big mistake there.

Fk them... they are flawed

16. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Member

Like I said in another thread, if he can play like he did in LA, this would be a steal compared to the Parsons contract. We just need his corner 3 and length for D on the wing. Great signing

17. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

he's alright I suppose...just thought rockets was getting a big FA....instead they get an slightly above average SF....

He might have played well for the wiz last year, but I am not sure his play will continue now that he's been paid...

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

R u guys kidding me? If Gordon freaking Hayward and Chandler Parsons are gonna make 15M Ariza (who is arguably on the same level as Hayward and possibly Parsons) is a freaking steal. Honestly I hope the Rod don't match Parsons and then we just sign Deng for 10-12M and call it a day.

19. roidrage

roidrage Member

So the rockets big off season signing is Trever....first round exit here we come

20. meh

meh Member

We have maybe $6-7mil left on our cap. If we want to clear up 10-12 for Deng, we'd have to get rid of Jones, DMo, Capella, Canaan, basically everyone except Ariza/Howard/Harden/Beverley.

Not sure why people like Deng so much they want to gut the roster for him. Bosh I can understand. Deng? Seriously? I'll take Parsons, Jones, DMo, Capella combined myself, thank you. I personally find it odd why anyone would think Howard/Deng/Ariza/Harden/Beverley/minimum players is contender for anything besides another 1st round exit.