1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After signing Ariza, do we match Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Match Parsons?

1. Yes

378 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I can't go to sleep. I have to go to church in the morning.

I have a genuine worry about not matching him tomorrow.

I really hope I'm wrong.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes and I'll tell you why....

You don't lose an asset for nothing. If Parsons really wants to go to Dallas than he's got the power to work a trade later on with an agent like Fegen.

If he has a productive first half of the season than you can always trade him later on this year and get assets back in return. However if you let him go now you lose him for nothing.

It seems like he wants to go to a city like Dallas and be a star now. Thats all fine and dandy but he's going to need to pay the price. That means keeping his trade stock up high, and helping facilitate a trade to get the Rockets back assets in return.

Right now Fegen and Parsons have no leverage. They were lucky Morey let them out to pay them early. Good for them. Now its time to put up, shut up, or help us trade your A%* later next season.

However you don't let him walk for nothing. Match him, and trade him later on if it doesn't work out.

1 person likes this.
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Most likely we don't find out till 10:59pm tomorrow.

We can't do anything about it now, just refresh the GARM and Twitter around 10:30pm and hope for the best.

4. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Hoping we match Parsons, but I looooove all the Dragic talk in this thread. I'm getting a fat smile on my face, just thinking about reinstating him into the rotation. Could acquiring him be a real possibility? I realize the Suns glut at PG, but starting to wonder if they do indeed want all 3 of them, to play a lot of multi guard, small ball combos.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No way they match parsons after signing ariza

6. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

From a different perspective: for the first 3 years, Parsons made 3 million total roughly. So if you combine the cheap discounts from the first 3 seasons, the total contract for him will be 6 years 49 million. That's only a tad bit over 8 million a year for 6 yrs. I think hes is well worth that value. I feel pretty good about us matching but we will be capped out for 3 years and lose out on the 2016 free agents.

7. vstexas09

What's your reasoning?

8. leebigez

The same reason the bulls didnt match asik, doesnt make sense. They signed ariza to save money and to let parsons go. It makes 0 sense to anyone to match 15m per for parsons after signing trevor.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Can Parsons and his agent force a trade later on this year or Next? What players couldn't the Rockets sign in the next 15 hours that the could if Parsons was off the books?

Bring back Parsons, and keep him as an asset to potentially trade if you have to. He's only on a 3 year year (2 guaranteed) and can be valuable to a team looking to offload big contracts down the road (150% rule... can use him to take on more salary later on).

There really isn't much of a point in letting him walk for nothing right now. The Rockets aren't going to have significant cap space either way. They need to now shift their focus to trades, and Parsons' contract now allows just that.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Only if you are fairly confident that he will play up to (or close to) his contract value. Otherwise, he becomes a dead weight and you'll have to give up assets to trade him.

11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

12. vstexas09

Les has repeated that he is willing to pay the tax. Dwight has two years tops of superstar like play.
    I think it upsets him if we don't match and he won't re-up, but also who plays back up minutes to Harden and Ariza? Daniels is small and weak on D. Covington is for sure not ready yet.

You lose a major offensive option in CP.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think they have to match him. Ariza would be great as a bench player plugged into the Francisco Garcia/Casspi/Delfino role and would even get more time than those guys allowing Parsons to rest a bit. However Ariza as a replacement for Parsons? No thank you.

14. traveler

traveler Member

Match and we have a deeper bench with Ariza spelling the 2 and 3. It all depends on who Morey gets in here. We need a PF badly though that can defense the western conference PF's.

15. psman2

psman2 Member

Parsons will be resigned since that is our only path we currently have to exceed the cap while retaining talent. If the roster is not clicking by the trade deadline, then I am sure Parsons would accept a trade where he can be more of a focal point on offense. He has to put up numbers to earn his next near max contract in two years.

For example I am sure Chi would likely offer Gibson for him in Jan if they have not found a solution to their over abundance of PFs by then. OR maybe Atl would offer up Milsap at the deadline since he would be a free agent a few months later and AtL always has trouble attracting the major free agents. Josh Smith and a 1st rounder would make Det a better team as well. Maybe Phoenix bites on a Dragic/filler trade at the deadline.

Parsons is going to overpaid but he will still have positive trade value for the right team since the SF position is so thin these days.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Replacing Casspi and Garcia... Not parsons... Or so I hope

17. leebigez

Les has said that, how many times has he actually done it? If he did, it was for a couple of 100k, not millions. I like parsons alot, but you dont pay sriza 8m to come off the bench and match parsons.

18. amak316

amak316 Member

Everyone is saying "you don't let an asset leave for nothing so you must match." The question you need to be asking is "what is the dollar amount that Parsons has to make to go from an Asset to a liability?"

I think Morey decided to sign Ariza specifically to replace Chandler at a price where he is still very attractive to potential suitors and can be moved easily if a max player makes himself available, whether that moment is at trade deadline or next off season. Morey has found a way to not match and still allow the team to be fringe contenders in the short term, with maneuverability in the long term to build a power house.

Moreys done an excellent job dealing with worst case scenario off season without panicking, and IMO that is almost more impressive than most of his major wins he's had over the years.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then we are in trouble because downgrading at SF isn't helping this team get where they want to go. In the Garcia/Delfino/Casspi role, Ariza would be fine, as a replacement for Parsons he'd be a disappointment.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Guys, we have to get better. We can't blow off a year to save a few million. With Dwight here it is win-now mode. We have to get better now. They will match.