1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

After signing Ariza, do we match Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Match Parsons?

1. Yes

378 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we still need...

backup center
    starting pf
    starting pg
    3/d player off the bench
    re-sign daniels

no room for 15m per for parsons.

1 person likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yes but not until you sign another piece.

You lost Lin you replaced with Ariza.

You lost Asik you replace with......who?

Got to do that first and match.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Obviously yes IMO. Ariza can still play almost 30m a game off the bench as a 6th man, and Parsons can play some stretch 4 as well.

We still have cap space to add a big man and we can get a point guard for the room exception.

In the end, this might end up working out just as well as getting Bosh. Less star power but more depth.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am still so upset about the Rockets signing Ariza that I can't think. He is one of my least favorite Rockets of all time.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Different player. Different team. Different time.

1 person likes this.
  6. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

We never did. After Bosh and Co. Passed on us, it was only about whom Morey could sign before HAVING to match Parsons.

7. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Really? Anyone care to chime in and break down why this post misses the entire point? Cuz I don't. I deal with too much idiocy at work to respond to this nonsense.

8. HOUSTONROCKETS5

MATCH!!

He's currently the best player up for grabs, and this would move Ariza to the bench, giving us great depth, and if San Antonio taught us anything, you need depth to survive in the west.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When an asset becomes 15 million plus trade kicker it's a liability. Don't match and learn from it. To me it sounds more painful for the Mavs.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

You are aware that we would only have about 10 million in capspace if we don't match Parsons. Which backup C, starting PF, starting PG and 3/D player would you attract with that? In FA there basically is no player available?

And you are aware that with Parsons we potentially still have 8 million in either capspace (if we move before matching Parsons) or the MLE and 8 million in a TE if we match Parsons and the Wizards agree to a s&t?

So the difference between matching Parsons and declining it is between 2-3 million right now. Sure, it will be harder to maneuver close to the tax apron, but Morey can work the cap.

And you are aware, that with Parsons we have already solved our 3/D problem off the bench? And that we can sign Daniels without the capspace, because we have the bird rights? And I would actually say our starting PG is just fine.

So we have 8 million in capspace or as a TE to get our starting PF, we sign our backup C for the minimum and we are set.

Matching Parsons only hurts Les Alexander - it will greatly benefit the team. There simply is nothing better we can do with our capspace and he is an important part of our team.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

It would be stupid to not match him. I believe Ariza will be the back-up 2/3 with Harden sometimes playing the 1 and Parsons sometimes playing the 4.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Match and trade him and the NO pick for Dragic at the deadline.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Tough one.

Ariza signing was perplexing, he is a starting SF in this league and gives you almost as much as Parsons. Will Parsons play the 4? I don't see that being realistic on a game-by-game basis. Will Ariza be willing to come off the bench? Surely Morey told him if they are matching Parsons or not.

If nothing else changes, then yes we should match Parsons, and bring Ariza off the bench for 30+ minutes.

Right now our biggest weakness is in the post. If we can sign a guy who can be the third rotational big or even push Jones to the bench that would be awesome.

I have faith that one of Canaan or Johnson will be adequate for backup PG.

We are one piece away from true contention IMO if we match Parsons.

14. valorita

valorita Member

Can we do a sign and trade for parsons to the mavs? That way get Marion or something and we can sign someone else and go over the cap.

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I'm curious... how often did Harden play pg in OKC? I'm talking about him at pg with no Westbrook or any other pg on the floor (so he's guarding the opposing team's pg).

16. do work son

do work son Member

HALLELUJAH

people are so intimidated by the 15 million, as if they have to pay it themselves. signing parsons has limited effect on our ability to still sign other players. not matching parsons greatly affects what we can do.

it's a no brainer. match parsons.

17. Qwertyasdf

Qwertyasdf Member

I think the decision has already been made. I wouldn't be surprised if we match. Ariza was reportedly wanting 9-11 mil. He took less. That could point to matching Parsons. Less money= lesser role? That or he wants to fill the bench up. Either way, I think it was discussed with Ariza when he signed.

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Not if he doesn't play up to his $15M contract. If he's coming off the bench or not shooting 40+ % from deep, I could see him picking up the third year option then taking a pay cut later.

19. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Don't believe we can do that anymore since the Mavs sent us the offer sheet. There were discussions beforehand on maybe a sign and trade but nothing came up so the Mavs went ahead and sent us the offer sheet.

20. treyb141

treyb141 Member

We need to match. I think parsons is getting paid too much. However, eventually you have to try and win a championship. The time is now.

Not matching for future implications and free agents in year x is putting to waste the duo of Dwight and James.