1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things aren't that bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Jul 11, 2014.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

"Bad" things that happened:

- Rockets didn't acquire a big third star in James, Melo, Bosh (only true miss here was Bosh, as he was the only truly available solution)
    - Traded Lin (bad?), lost a likely low value 1st rounder (but freed up a lot of cap space for this year)
    - Parsons may or may not be kept at 15m/year. At 15m, he's overvalued. The real negative was gambling on the team option.
    - Potentially losing Troy Daniels
    - Faith a bit shaken

Things that haven't changed:

- Core of Harden/Howard is still intact
    - Asik contract, the most valuable asset of the Rockets, is still in play
    - Cap space hasn't been dropped on bad contracts that will lock the Rockets in a bad position for a long time.

Jimmies may be rustled but it seems like the Rockets and Morey are in an ok position to reload and change targets. I'm in the position that if you're in it to win a championship and you're where the Rockets are now (two superstars recently locked in), you have to try to go for a home run each time thereafter. Why waste your bullets on good roleplayers when you are in the best position to hit bullseye. Here's a link to 2015 free agents.http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947573/nba-free-agents-2014-2015

As one door closes, another opens...

#1 crossover, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

just a question, can you go after 2015 FAs is you re-sign Parsons?

3. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Team would be capped out unless you find a way to trade someone.

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Lol The Heat lost the best Player on the planet, but we are still the biggest looser in this Free Agency.

Congrats Morey

1 person likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I like that it'll be sorted out for the most part by this weekend. Then everyone can decide if they want to keep their panties in a wad.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trading Lin prematurely was a bad deal because they lose a key asset to use in a trade if they struck out in free agency.

The Rockets backup plan was always going to need to be trades, and other than Harden & Howard, really didn't have contracts on their books in order to trade for other contracts.

The Asik TPE would only account for so much. The Rockets need tradable contracts and assets to make moves. They lost Lin the player, and a tradable asset, and only got cap space that they can use for the next 50 hours before it disappears.

The Lin trade prematurely was a HUGE mistake.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I agree. Just adding Deng and possibly another tertiary F.A. to a 54 win team makes the Rockets better and in a position to contend.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Asik is gone.

Letting Parsons out early is over.

Lin was traded prematurely.

This has not been a good start to the offseason at all.

Morey is finding himself in an unexpected hole.

9. Know Your Role

If we resign Parsons, he becomes our third star. Can he take the steps to deserve that title? I believe he can, if we can get the right mix around him. Yes he's over paid but he can live up to the contract.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Nick Johnson.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Would have to think non-guaranteed contracts are coming back in the Asik trade

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Understand your thinking, and agree with your other points, but I think in the NBA the value of good role players is downplayed. Mavericks won a championship by having good role players, and you could say the same for Spurs. Once you have the core set, the objective should be to get good role players around them. One issue, for example, that I see with Rockets is: who is the perimeter defender who can shut down opponents 2 or 3? Which, btw, is why Deng or Ariza might actually be a better fit for Rockets than Parsons is, especially at $15M.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

14. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

trading Lin was a bad move - we were trying to operate above the cap in order to sign parsons back. Now if we sign parsons we strap ourselves and can not make any other moves unless it is trading Parsons.

Trading Asik was the safer way to go but NOLA couldnt get it done in time.

I wonder if we can void the trade and call Basketball reason - seems to be the problem every time we trade with LAKERS

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Whatever the situation, the amount of pu$$iosity displayed on this board in recent days has me wondering if I'm too old to be playing here.

1 person likes this.
  16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Lin haters are having multiple orgasms now that Lin is gone. Can't wait to see Harden at the point...yay!

Long live iso ball.

17. split41

split41 Member

This is so funny and tragic, I'm going to cry

18. split41

split41 Member

Right mix around him? He's playing with the #1 SG and #1 Center in the league! What more do you want for Chandler? He's a role player that went with Cuban and ****ed us. He's not a third star he's an above average role player

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't believe that for a second. While he may have thought the Rockets were getting Bosh, I'm sure he had many other plans, in case Bosh went elsewhere.

While Bosh may have been the best player for the Rockets, both Asik, and Lin had to go. The Rockets have until Sunday afternoon to make something happen, I really think we will have a better rooster than last year.

Morey has made good moves, you have to take chances, and go with the odds that are in your favor. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I was upset about Bosh staying in Miami, but I think many people are jumping the gun. Give it until Sunday before all of the crying, and giving up on the Rockets. We do have two of the top ten players in the game, there is a good chance that everything will turn out great.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't think it has anything to do with age. Some people just seem to cry, and give up to easy.